User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
akpackfan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
D2D Gear Recommendations?

Recently purchased a DR650. Thinking about doing D2D. Any recommendations on a specific tent and sleeping bag for lightweight adventure touring? Any other gear suggestions for a few day outing would also be appreciated. Thanks.
akpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,912
Go visit Barb and her crew at Alaska Leather and AKDUC at REI. They'll get you off to a good start.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Andrewmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I'm a particularly big fan of the REI Half Dome 2 for motorcycle camping (http://www.rei.com/product/845481/re...me-2-plus-tent).

It doesn't pack down the absolute smallest, but it is inexpensive, durable, and comes with lots of features as well as great support from REI. Really anything with two entrances and two vestibules works really well, but you can't beat the value of the Half Dome 2.

For a sleeping bag I recommend taking a 30-35 degree synthetic bag AS WELL AS a 40 degree super light down bag. You can use both ago once or either one, and I like to keep them separate from each other so if one gets wet you may have a chance of keeping the other dry.

If you don't want to take 2 bags, I will usually take a 10-20 degree down bag.

The Motorcycle Shop
907-561-1165
Andrewmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 5,242
When I did camp, I used a 30-35 degree bag and packed a light synthetic blanket in case it got cold. With regards to tents: get a 2 man tent. That way you and your gear can stay dry. Also pack a tarp and some bungees to help keep dry and allow you to actually use a fire pit.
If you camp in Dawson, the Goldrush is convenient but is gravel so pack a sleeping pad. I carried one of the luxury cots one year and it was great but cumbersome to pack.
The temps really can range so just expect everything. Dress in layers.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,871
REI..... Big Agnes. High quality stuff. B/A sleeping bags have a pocket sewn in for your mat, and no insulation there on the bottom. it saves on size and weight and.... you can't roll off your sleeping mat.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
GRIZ
COMMANDANT

Oddometer: 1,119
PACK A GOOD MASTERCARD OR VISA...THOSE MOTEL PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE A LIVING TOO
Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,069
If D2D is on your time/travel schedule and you enjoy rallies (which this really is no matter how 'un-official' some say it is) it is worth a stop and visit.

Otherwise your time is better spent looking at the many areas available in the Yukon or Alaska....meaning....I would not divert travel plans to attend D2D if it meant missing an adventure elsewhere and time was tight.

The campsites at the Goldrush are not 'tent' sites per say...the gravel pad is 1" plus material and a single Therma rest barely cuts the sharp edges. A ground cloth helps protect the tent bottom. I have camped there for 6 D2D rallies. Nice owners who are very accommodating. Best to make reservations or know someone to share a site with.

A two person tent if your bike has the room and carrying capacity.

Some of the Canadians can make a cup of coffee....

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin View Post
if d2d is on your time/travel schedule and you enjoy rallies (which this really is no matter how 'un-official' some say it is)
blasphemer, heretic, apostate!!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
If D2D is on your time/travel schedule and you enjoy rallies (which this really is no matter how 'un-official' some say it is) ...
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
If D2D is on your time/travel schedule and you enjoy rallies (which this really is no matter how 'un-official' some say it is) it is worth a stop and visit.

Otherwise your time is better spent looking at the many areas available in the Yukon or Alaska....meaning....I would not divert travel plans to attend D2D if it meant missing an adventure elsewhere and time was tight.

The campsites at the Goldrush are not 'tent' sites per say...the gravel pad is 1" plus material and a single Therma rest barely cuts the sharp edges. A ground cloth helps protect the tent bottom. I have camped there for 6 D2D rallies. Nice owners who are very accommodating. Best to make reservations or know someone to share a site with.

Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,069

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
akpackfan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:

Well, I do live in Wasilla so I would say it's within my schedule. I am friends with at least one rider who has been and is attending this year so I have a "guide". Never had a bike that could be used for a trip like this so am a little green when it comes to packing for a journey like this. Just looking for some input to help me pick the right gear. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I like the looks of the REI tent recommended. Right now I plan on going the route of Giant Loop luggage (not sure if the Coyote or Great Basin model) for carrying most things and also a dry duffle. Keep the input comin!
akpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #14
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
We live in Wasilla. If you would like to come by and check out what we take along on our camping trips let us know.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 456
What KHuddy says, splurge and rent a motel/hotel room for a night or two, life is very short and opportunities therein are even less.
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote