User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
whitehaven OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
great basin

Looking at the Great Basin saddle bag by Giant Loop,it appeals to me as it saves the weight of racks and tucks the sides and weight in closer to the bike but the photos I have seen look like it cramps the riding position as its on the rear of the seat.
Is this the case or can it be mounted back more to avoid this.
I want to be sure I can move my body weight back far enough at times when hitting sand or other soft terrain.
My experience with saddlebags mounted on racks on my previous Adventure and 690 is that they can make the bike wobble at times in the soft stuff but of course you have the seat room as a bonus.
Whats your experience with the Great Basin,I have a 950 super enduro but would appreciate feedback from all LC8 types.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,222

The Great Basin doesn't cramp at all. It actually shifts the bag back over the tail rack and away from the rider. It works fantastic and keeps all the gear snug into the frame. It handles a layover great and does not suck your feet under it. You'll need to mount their provided exhaust shield. Also I'd recommend picking up some clear bra adhesive paint protector tape from 3M or equivelent to wrap your rear side covers as dirt will get trapped under the bags and rub into your graphics on a long haul.

The only knock on the Great Basin can easily be subverted... If you add a second top bag, it blocks access to the GB. Make sure your second bag has side zips where you can place items you need quick access to like your layers, so they are not buried in the GB below. A back pack works great as a second top bag to the GB where as you start removing the items out you throw it on your back to allow access to the GB when you are nearing camp.

For Adventure touring... I find the Great Basin one of the best product designs ever, seriously
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
I have been happy with mine. I carry a second bag on the rear rack for daily quick access. The Giant Loop really doesn't get in the way. I try to keep heavier items down low in the GL. You have to pack light.

gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Mine works great too. Doesn't cramp at all. I second the clear mask protection for the plastic. I camped out if mine for 5 days had all I needed in it. Very good quality and inexpensive compared to hard bags.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 100
Just another option. I don't own one and can't comment on the quality, but I may give them a try.
http://www.nomadrider.com/venturebaglarge.aspx
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Crowley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I have one that I use on the SE. I ride with a backpack at all times and with this combination it does cramp. It is not a major issue as I get used to it fairly quickly and learn to ride around it. (My riding style is that I move around a lot on the bike)
Won’t say that it influence the handling of the bike adversely more than any other luggage. This fits on the SE better than others where you have to modify the bike a lot before it can accept it.
The only thing that I dislike is that you tend to struggle to open the seat with the luggage on it (note that this is on the SE and not the Adventure). Think that this might be better if you put on of those tabletop luggage plates – I just don’t like a massive plate on the back of the bike.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
Just another option. I don't own one and can't comment on the quality, but I may give them a try.
http://www.nomadrider.com/venturebaglarge.aspx
Ive got the Nomad , very happy with it so far .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote