ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Oddometer: 161
Looking for a good one day ride / loop in Phoenix area

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be flying in to Phoenix (from Toronto Canada) for a conferance (work...yuck) and planning to take an extra day there to rent a bike. Just hoping some of you folks could offer suggestions as to where I should go. I'm planning to rent an 800GS or 1200GS or VStrom. So far thats all I'm seeing available besides pure street bikes. I ride a 950 Adventure up here. I'll only have one day...Jan 12th and looking to make the best of it. Would like to see some spectacular scenery, a bit of interesting, historic stuff would be cool and of course some great back roads. Please keep in mind I'll be on a stock bike with stock tires so gravel is great but would rather avoid soft sand. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. If anyone in the area is interested in hooking up for a ride would be even better!
Thanks

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
T.E.Lawrence
Moto North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
just don't go anywhere with nightstalker.....
benwiggin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
AZ4us
AZ Explorer

Oddometer: 271
NOooo. He is a Cool Guy !
Just have some Tequila before the Trip and enjoy the ride !
No Mexican insurance is needed.

Welcome to the valley of the Sun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
just don't go anywhere with nightstalker.....

AZ4us screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 02:41 PM
AZ4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Bloody Basin Loop

Scottsdale Rd north to Cave Creek Rd in Carefree. Turn R onto Cave Creek. The road climbs north out of the valley once past the golf resorts. Look for Sears Kay Indian ruins on the right. There will be a sign. Ride to the lot and hike up to the ruins. Maybe .3 miles hike or so.

Road turns to dirt and Cave Creek Rd becomes Seven Springs Rd. You will see signs marked Great Western Trail. Take it all the way to a T shaped intersection with Bloody Basin Rd. Turn right and go to Sheeps Bridge or something like that. It dead ends at the Verde River and a dam. I've never been there yet. Might be worth a peek. Turn around and go back west on Bloody Basin Road. A few miles west of Seven Springs intersection the road will begin climbing out of Bloody Basin atop a rising ridgeline. Then it will switchback up a wall to a plateau called Agua Fria Nationa Monument. Bloody Basin Rd will intersect with I-17 where you can head back to Phoenix. Or you can continue under the Interstate and take Crown King Rd to Crown King! Also dirt.

Google up some history about the area. Basically the Cavalry held Fort McDowell which was south just North of what is now Fountain Hills. They would ride up Camp Creek Wash (13 miles) to the what is now Seven Springs Rd/Cave Creek Rd. There were mines and raches to protect. The Apaches would withdraw to Bloody Basin and hide out. You'll see why it was easy to hide. It's sort of a badlands type terrain.

It's a great day trip. The roads are narrow and can be rough in spots, but nothing severe. A GS 800 would be a good ride. I would take you down Camp Creek Wash, but the sand is deep and you'd need a buddy to help pick up your bike occasionally.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Saturday ride?

Thanks Pantah,.
Looks like a nice ride. I like the mix of scenery, terain and a bit of history mixed in. Just my style. I'm in town now and will be picking up the rentals tonight, heading out for the ride Sat morning first thing. Looks like it'll be a bit chilly but I brought my cold weather gear just in case....good thing! Anybody in Phoenix area want to come for a ride? You can email me directly at trevor.picard@msasafety.com as I'll catch it on my phone then. Any other route suggestions would from anyone else??
Cheers

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
T.E.Lawrence
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Stumpalump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Outside of Carefree, take the road to lake Bartlet. It's scenic and no traffic this time of year. Hit Horseshoe lake on the way back for a cool dirt ride and see the dam in the other post. You can still head north thru seven springs after that. Have fun and welcome to Arizona!
KTM 200 EXC.
XR400
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Ill agree the bloody basin is a great easy ride on stock tires a great way to see az. If ur looking for pure street i would reccomend touring up the 87 for a little head down the 177 (i think) towards rosevelt lake and taking apache trail home google apache trail it to be an award winning drive on a bike it can only be better part of acahe trail is dirt road
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Thanks for all the input guys. We ended up doing the Apache trail loop. Had a great day, Although a little chilly in the morning and at the end of the day. Otherwise we had an awesome ride and it likely helped to keep the tourist traffic down to almost nothing. You guys are truly blessed with amaizing rides!

T.E.Lawrence