Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #91
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
thanks

Thanks Y'all.
Next month I will buy a truck and proper dirt bike. :)

Take lots of pics/videos. Have fun!
Thunder Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #92
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Lucky - Police Report says I was 60 ft from bike. She got a ticket.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/p7ipz
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #93
z@ch OP
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,646
Hopefully you can salvage some parts off that bike!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Strike View Post

WOW. So sorry to hear that! Hope your doing okay man!

Chris

Just FYI, still wanna ride with you guys. Been sick all damned week!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #95
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Idk

I will know more tomorrow when I give my statement to the adjuster. She sounds like they plan on getting me some real $ for the pain and suffering part. Like that will be more than the property settlement. but who really knows until the offer comes. i am in no hurry to settle, so I can see how my injuries heal.
Anyway, back to the dirt thread. Y'all can PM me if needed. Cell is broken.

Hope you get well soon, Chris # 2.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #96
Droo
neet guy

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
I will know more tomorrow when I give my statement to the adjuster. She sounds like they plan on getting me some real $ for the pain and suffering part. Like that will be more than the property settlement. but who really knows until the offer comes. i am in no hurry to settle, so I can see how my injuries heal.
Anyway, back to the dirt thread. Y'all can PM me if needed. Cell is broken.

Hope you get well soon, Chris # 2.
Get a lawyer!!! He wont charge you up front - he'll take 30%, but get you what you deserve which is probably 3 or 4 times what the insurance company is offering.
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #97
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Chris, Andrew and I are going to be at Bulcher on Sat, usual time, usual place up front. Should be a bit looser this time, no mud though. Good weather, chilly until you get going.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #98
Droo
neet guy

Ender, Child, and I are tentatively planning for Saturday at Bulcher this weekend. Same bat time, same bat channel. Probably 10:30 to 11ish, and up top I guess. I'm open to the spot by the kiddy track, but I always get vetoed - I do what I'm told.

Also, Ender and I were kicking around the idea of Rocky Ridge to change things up - so if anyone wants to check out Rocky Ridge for a change of pace, then let us know (or if you really don't want to do Rocky Ridge - mention that and we can rule it out).

EDIT: Doh - ender beat me to it!!!

Droo screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:28 PM Reason: duplicate
Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

I think I may need to go snatch this up. Opinions?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3574325565.html

$3,600 Street Legal 450KTM
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #100
z@ch OP
Turn it up to eleven

Quote:

Not going to be a bike you'll wanna ride from Irving to RR on. That's the motocross version and not the ideal dualsport. Do some googling and compare that to the 450 exc
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #101
z@ch OP
Turn it up to eleven

Edit: closer inspection shows it's an XC not an SX like the ad says... Great enduro bike, but still not a road burner.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #102
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Edit: closer inspection shows it's an XC not an SX like the ad says... Great enduro bike, but still not a road burner.
So to do stuff like we do it will be great?

I will have my truck in 3 weeks. Will be trucking to events like your place and RR.
Then when I get settlement for KLR wreck I will get a road dual sport, like BMW GS or something.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #103
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Yea, the SX like the ad says is going to be a supercross bike, very narrow power band, not geared for trails. Google says its a 4 speed with no electric start also, which isn't ideal for trails or road.

The body work says its an XC which is a 6-speed transmission and electric and kick start. It is meant to be ridden on trails and perfect for bulcher. You might just confirm with the guy that it has electric start, if so its an XC for sure and you have no issues. If it has no electric start its an SX with an XC sticker on it and wouldn't be a first choice of mine for bulcher.

The question really is, what do you want to do on the bike.

Like I said, an XC 450 is perfect for bulcher.

For Colorado passes / single track and Utah Trails, the larger tank he says it has is good, though you'd probably want to get a more comfy seat for all day on trails. The street legal aspect is perfect for connecting the dots between the fun stuff.

It'd be good for quick jaunts around city streets, a WAY fast wheelie / ticket machine for sure.

It is NOT a highway mile burning machine. Riding my 500 for 45 minutes on the highway between Fort Worth and Lewisville while geared for fun up at Bulcher means I'm revving the engine pretty good. The seat is hard, so sitting stationary for that long will test the power of your gouch. If you gear for 70mph on the highway, you'll be slipping the clutch a lot in the dirt.

Personally, with my riding preferences, I would buy this bike in a heartbeat. But I would rather be uncomfortable on full knobbies on the street for an hour and have stupid quantities fun very comfortably in the dirt the rest of the day. Others wouldn't agree.

Having said allll that above, look at where you are personally with your riding skills. This is a lightweight bike with a lot of power. You get a little out of shape and grab throttle, you will be doing 30+ by the time the front wheel comes over your head and you're sliding on your ass. If you're a smart rider and approach things smoothly and carefully, you will have a good time. If you're a slam bang kinda guy you might have a bad time. Even with smooth riding, mistakes will happen and depending on when and where you are on the trail it could be scary. I've scared myself and nearly put myself in to some pretty immovable trees on multiple occasions with accidental over application of right wrist bravado with ~6 years of experience on my 500...

Not trying to scare, just inform.

Also KTM's are amazing machines, lightweight, powerful, amazing suspension, assuming it doesn't scare the crap out of you, you'll love it if you get it I'm sure.
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 03:13 PM Reason: I spell words sometimes
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #104
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

reply to Child

Thanks Child.
Good write up.
I didn't think of the electric start for trails.

I know from experience that when I tried to take a road bike and make it more off road it became a problem. KLR.
I am a conservative rider.

I know I will be getting a KTM of some kind for our adventures.

I know I will be getting a bigger dual sport for highway trips.

I know I have a truck in 3 weeks.

So I feel once the guy comes back with more info, like electric start, I will be buying this one.
Also looking at at 2011 KTM 450 6 day for $6500.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #105
Droo
neet guy

Quote:

Getting the right bike is tough and you shouldn't rush into it - get something for trail riding not motocross for sure as zach mentioned.

I started on a KTM 200 exc (a 2-stroke) and I do not recommend this as a starter bike - it was beyond my level and kicked my ass - too light - too much power - too hard to tame. I feel much more comfortable on the WR250 and the DRZ400 - and even after nearly a year of riding at bulcher I haven't outgrown the DRZ just yet.

Here's a 04 DRZ400 E (unfortunately 04 is the year they started using the mikuni cv carb). But you can convert to street legal and do dual sport. The price is so low you could probably get most of your money back by parting it out (after you beat the shit out of it learning at bulcher) - also not a bad adventure bike if made steet legal:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/3519387879.html

DRZ is rock solid - long lasting with low maintenance and tons of after market options. It's not the most dirt capable bike, but it's not bad for starting out.

I'm happy with my DRZ - I just wish I had got a used beater and the E rather than SM. But I got mine for commuting and decided to do dirt later.

I will get a KTM some day. Child's bike the 2012 KTM 500 xc-w (converted for dual sport) is my dream bike, and is the undisputed top dog (for enduro/trails) - but I'm just not ready for it. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to find a used one and finally be able to handle it.

My beginner's 2 cents...

Droo screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 04:03 PM Reason: typos