ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Hazman27 OP
The Haz

Oddometer: 618
Gps?

Any of the local guys have a GPS preference, looking to put one in my own stocking for X-mas. What should I look for, new/used, preloaded options? Any info is helpful.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
propforward
Caught in the act

Oddometer: 12,253
Start here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

You need to first decide what you want to do with your GPS (on or off road - and that's just the tip of the iceberg) before you can make meanigful judgements or anyone can give you solid advice. In any case, it's all in the link. Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Moved from Central

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
The relatively new Garmin Montana has become popular for off-roading. They are kind of expensive at $400 for the lowest 600 model. But if you plan to use it a lot, it would probably be worth it. I know it is for me.

In addition to the unit you will also need maps and mapping software. I buy Garmin maps and use their software, but there are other options.

OTH I ride with several guys who are just not into maps and navigation. They bought GPS units and never really use them. If this might be your case you might look for a used unit on ebay and try it. I have no idea of what the availability is. But 60 and 276 units are popular and still used a lot.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
The Oregon 450 is on sale for 199.00 now at Dicks Sporting goods, and GPS city. It looks like it will do everything I need it for. The Montana just looks like its huge to me. But Im not as hardcore as a lot of these guys, just want to know where I been and where Im going, and be able to save the trips for later. And weatherproof.
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
The Oregon 450 is on sale for 199.00 now at Dicks Sporting goods, and GPS city. It looks like it will do everything I need it for. The Montana just looks like its huge to me. But Im not as hardcore as a lot of these guys, just want to know where I been and where Im going, and be able to save the trips for later. And weatherproof.
One thing that I do not think the Oregon can do is output any audio. So, you will need to depend on watching the screen if you try to follow a route.

Another thought is that aside from the batteries, the unit is powered via a mini(?) USB connector. There is another thread running where people are discussing the idea that these connectors get loose after a while and provide intermittent power.

Only you can judge if any of that is important to you. Still, that looks like a very good price.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
If you are planning to hard wire it for power and ride off-road or in inclement weather skip anything powered via Mini USB, including the Oregon. The Oregon would be fine if you can see the screen without back-lighting (eyesight, brightness & contrast) and will be using internal batteries for power.
Otherwise go with a 60,76,78, Zumo 6XX or Montana all of which offer a good external power option.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,497
So, the 4 pin connector that is on some devices. What I'm getting is that it is better for external power usage vs the mini usb? Is it also water resistant?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I've had issues with the mini USB in the past, learned a couple tricks that have worked for me. I guess for me the Oregon was a choice based on size, and the features.
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote