ONE European Union...ONE R1200GS.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by LaurelPerryOnLand, Dec 19, 2012.

1. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://bmwmcmag.com/2012/12/one-world-one-r1200gs-winners-announced/comment-page-1/#comment-49
    Cursor to the top of the ARTICLE to see the announcement.

Or...
    http://bmwmcmag.com/2012/12/one-wor...paign=one-world-one-r1200gs-winners-announced

Conducting a world-wide contest like this is a 2-edged sword for BMW.
    Per the BMW article: "BMW Motorrad’s ‘Ride of your Life’ competition attracted thousands of entries from across the globe..."
    ... the most spectacular campaign ever to be held in the history of BMW Motorrad.
    the most spectacular BLUNDER ever to be held in the history of BMW Motorrad.

Not a single rider selected outside of Europe?
    And...• Stephanie Rowe from the United Kingdom...said in her "interview" with Charley Boorman..."oh I've stopped racing and just found the ENDURO".
    Great...somebody who hasn't even RIDDEN a GS! Perfect candidate.

Well the BMW PR department will have their hands full trying to 'splain' this one. Wait for the spin!

Even IF these were the BEST IN THE WORLD...I think...as the former Director of Advertising/Marketing of a Fortune 50 company...that I'd have representation throughout the world. Gee, maybe in each of the areas of the TOURS??????

Otherwise, you run the risk of ALIENATING the REST OF THE WORLD of BMW riders.
    Also...bet all the US Dealers are absolutely ASTONISHED by Motorrad's selection.

Guess that I won't be buying a 13 anytime soon...oh the unintended consequences of POOR BMW decision making

Not particularly SMART on BMW's part.

BTW...I haven't even GOTTEN an email from them...having entered. Classy. Always better to hear about via the WWW and fellow inmates.

So...BMWMOTORRAD...what say ye?

Here's their email in case you have something you'd like to say to them:
    presse@bmw.de
  2. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Whoops! 404 Error!

Well, it appears as if you entered in an invalid URL. Please fix the URL you entered or try using the search functionality on our website.

:puke1
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
  4. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did get there from the comment page...
  5. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    Here is the top of the page.
  6. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess not only KTM is capable of making a marketing plunders...

--
    Mikko
  7. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
    "contest smells of being rigged. No USA finalists, no notifications to anyone other than the “winners”.
    The entry form was the first indication of BMW’s intent to only select their chosen few: inadequate space for stating qualifications, no way to submit a resume, and no criteria for selection of finalists.
    Oh well. What else would one expect from the great and all knowing at BMW."

"Non EU need not apply. Auslanders nicht willkommen!
    Wouldn’t want to be on the other end of the presse@bmw.de email address today.
    I received no email either and put a lot into my application."
  8. feldjäger

feldjäger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sure would like to know the ratio of BMW owners in the US compared to the EU. I bet we have a large enough market share and with that being said, it only seems sensible for them to pick at least one person from North America, but maybe this campaign was meant to beef up the European market :ddog
  9. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep applied also with no response as well. Despite being upset at not winning of course... it is pretty "cheap".

I too have been in the communications industry for over 25 years and BMW continues to risk its brand equity by making these kinds of decisions...or I should say just plain not caring too much.

Complacency combined with arrogance and shortsightedness.

I have had too many clients think that because things are going well they don't have to work so hard or not even that... smartly.

...we can't or won't keep buying these things if they continue to do this. Or, if a viable alternative shows up on the showroom floor and the competitors are getting closer every day.

:cry
  10. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you say Joke, Farce, Ill-conceived PR stunt? Failure of the IQ test? Wow, maybe no one will notice...
  11. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Maybe they've seen enough GS's parked in front of Starbucks to hold them for a while... :D
  12. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    I entered... never got a single reply.... bad PR :puke1
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Crap on bmw's part but it won't stop the NA koolaid drinkers, they're already placing deposits even before a single review of the bike.:rofl
  14. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    How many of you ever promoted USA products over another country's? I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard "I buy USA, it's better" or "I'd rather support an American company" on this forum

And you're upset that you're not one of the 5 people chosen from thousands of contestants that was organised by a European company? Did it cost you any money to enter? No. Did you spend any real time on it? No.

I'm sorry you didn't win but serioulsy, you think it was rigged? ROFL
  15. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
    1. YES...spent CONSIDERABLE time researching and preparing entry.
    ONE World.
    ONE R 1200 GS.
    ONE Rider.
    ONE Dream.

It all began...
    ONE Day in 1923 when
    ONE Max Fritz designed the R32 with the engine and gearbox forming
    ONE unit.
    ONE cylinder facing the left side.
    ONE cylinder facing the right side. Absolutely no
    ONE thought that almost
    ONE hundred years later, the R1200GS would have sales exceeding
    ONE hundred thousand. Clearly the R 1200 GS literally turns out to be
    ONE for the road...the open road.

There can only be
    ONE objective for the Rider. Ride. To places
    ONE might think unreachable. Places reached by
    ONE track and trails and roads and highways. In
    ONE World...you speak, as an ambassador of your country, with
    ONE tongue...the silent language of smiles, exhilaration, awe, respect and goodwill for every
    ONE you meet.

With
    ONE Dream...you ride and explore places with
    ONE word almost unpronounceable names like Agulhas, Prudhoe, Baviaanskloof, Ushuaia and Auvergneand. And these routes are not
    ONE way. You must eventually return home from trails, tracks, roads and highways but knowing that
    ONE day you'll dream again of yet another place and realize that there's

ONE World to explore
    ONE R 1200 GS to ride
    ONE Rider spirit to refill, and
    ONE Dream to again realize

Copyright: LPOL

2. NO...Cost me nothing to enter. It just cost MOTORRAD 1 2013 bike that they spent millions on developing and now trying to launch.
  16. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bmw sold only 10200 motorcycles in the usa in 2011.
    The total market is 105000 sold worldwide.
    The eu is by numbers the biggest costumer and consumer of bmw motorcycles.

Looking at the numbers, and guessing that if application numbers are in the same trend as bikes sold per country, i can only conclude that it is very much possibel that bad luck desided that no usa applicant was selected.

So lets calm down and be sportive, we dont want the orange crush gang think we are little children do we?
  17. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Not against making a buck or them describing what marketing decisions they make that is in their best interests....that is how you stay in business if you are a capitalist.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    But having been there a few times...the EU is more of a religion that a group of nations supposedly banding together for monetary support...The EU flags fly at the same level and sometimes higher than that of the member nation..you are either with them, or....compound that with the BMW arrogance [just my opinion] and it makes for a closed shop. That aside, they do have more purchasers in EU than in NA. A lot more.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Besides reading this...well...let's just say that "One World" et al is just a tad syrupy...:wink:

Hell besides someone has to lose! Get over it. And they are not going to miss selling you a 2013 bike.

But hey, I could be wrong.:brow<o:p></o:p>
  18. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    They should make a lower hp model with straight pipes and a V-twin, then we would buy more. :1drink
  19. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Naw we need { "I want"} a scrambler!:wink:
  20. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that...I was going for the SCHMALTZY, NOSTALGIC, MRS. BUTTERWORTH-tone!:rofl:rofl:rofl