Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
Awesome, the Metzler Karoo III's have a mud & snow rating!
That probably means it has enough silica in it this time around to work like winter tires or at least qualify. I'm guessing Michelin is going in deep with the extra silica as a way to "grip" the dirt (kinda like Velcro) and still produce a street tire in performance.

They obviously know how to produce amazing dirt tires, so i'm still hopping this evolution of the tire towards street bias signals a more aggressive ADV style of tire in the wings.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Another tire coming down the line.
Metzler Tourance 3
Any info on these Compacc?
Along the same 5/95 lines so it's a trend to go more street.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #33
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Another tire coming down the line.
Metzler Tourance 3
Any info on these Compacc?
Along the same 5/95 lines so it's a trend to go more street.
Here is all the info we have on the new Tourance so far. Sounds like they are going to call it the Tourance Next.

Quote:
The new Tourance NEXT. The Enduro street tyre that dares you to challenge any weather condition and any road

The latest generation of Enduro Street tyres, featuring new compounds, profiles, structure and tread pattern for unmatched levels of stability, safety on wet and mileage.

Improved wet grip and stability
Improved mileage over previous Tourance EXP
Dual Compound rear sizes
Ideal choice for the latest generation Adventure touring bikes
OE on the new BMW R 1250 GS
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #34
brainfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
After about 600 miles on new Anakee 3

I replaced my Anakee 2 with the 3's a couple of weeks ago on my '12 1200GSA. I got about 9200 miles on the rear A2. So far I really like the 3's after about 600 miles of mixed riding. They "roll" better, have better corning....definite improvement from my perspective over the 2. This past weekend I went on some rocky type back roads and sandy/muddy back roads- nothing really serious. The 3's did as well or better than the 2's I had. Just felt like I had more control than before. Heading toward Big Bend Texas area later in March. Will see how they do there. Thumbs up over the 2's so far and would buy them again.
brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Looking for more info later on as you add up the miles. Much appreciated.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
CompAcc - Any updates?

Just wondering if you have any updates from the last month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompAcc View Post
Two Brothers is right, Michelin doesn't always do away with prior models - hopefully they'll leave both in their lineup for a while.

Anyway - look what showed up today:

They definitely have a very interesting design. The beveled edges are at varying angles and come in from both sides. There are also little "serrations" within the grooves... very interesting.

As promised, we will be putting these on a bike and testing them out properly, so stay tuned.
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #37
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,476
For what it's worth, my motorcycle dealer is telling me that he can no longer get Anakee 2s, so I assume that whatever is around at places like Motorcycle Superstore and Dennis Kirk and such, is just getting rid of existing stock.

That's what I was told anyway, when I had them price Anakee 2s yesterday.

Got to say, I am really dubious that this tread design can be as good as the Anakee 2 for dirt and such. I'm sure the new compound and tread is great for the road, but it's difficult to see it matching up off road. Maybe Michelin have only viewed the Anakee as a "light off road" type tyre?

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I'm very skeptical of any dealer's "review" of anything because they want to sell them to you. I'll wait for a real world review by one of the inmates.

As far as I know, more silica would mean faster wear - better traction in the wet but they should wear out faster because of it. My full rains that are loaded with silica basically vaporize in the dry. Also, the tread pattern might clear mud but it looks like the front end would slip sideways due to a lack of lateral traction in the muck. Just my 2 cents.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I'm very skeptical of any dealer's "review" of anything because they want to sell them to you. I'll wait for a real world review by one of the inmates.

As far as I know, more silica would mean faster wear - better traction in the wet but they should wear out faster because of it. My full rains that are loaded with silica basically vaporize in the dry. Also, the tread pattern might clear mud but it looks like the front end would slip sideways due to a lack of lateral traction in the muck. Just my 2 cents.
Hey Smoke Eater, that's a valid concern and one I can certainly understand. That's why I got a real world inmate to help with this review

I'll tell it like it is - no tire is going to be the best at everything, I think most riders understand that. This tire is not going to be the best for muddy sloppy conditions or any kind of extreme off-road riding. Where it will shine is for the rider who is looking for a tire that will spend the majority of its time on-road, but can hold its own off-road.

And I've had just about the opposite experience with Silica in the compound. I ran the Pirelli Angel ST's on my street bike and was very impressed with the tire life and the grip offered when compared to the Diablo Stradas they replaced. Of course that's just going by personal experience, I'm not a scientist.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

And without further delay, here is our ride test of the Michelin Anakee 3 tires!

I had a great time riding with Adam, and as you can see from the video, we were both very impressed with the tires.

I did get confirmation from Michelin that the Anakee 3 is REPLACING the Anakee 2.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them, and if I don't know I'll go straight to the source. Happy trails!

-Reuben
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #41
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Brothers View Post
Michelin is famous for letting a tire hang around. PR2, PR3, Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CT. They may let the Ana 2 hang around before getting rid of it. They do this to cover all the markets. The price on the Ana 2 may drop and become a budget version for the ADV crowd.
Anakee 2's are no longer available according to my Canadian supplier. I have two sets of the 3's coming in tomorrow for a F800GS and a F650GS. I look forward to trying those out soon, once the snow is gone.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Are the 3's quieter than the 2's?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #43
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,476
According to the guy in the video they are a lot quieter.

The video review is very interesting. Makes me think about trying a pair. I'm not an aggressive off road rider anyway, I'm probably the 80/20 or even 90/10 rider these are aimed at.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #44
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I'm interested. My Tourance set is just about done so I need to do some shopping.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Nice video!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote