User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Windynite OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Cartagena to quito dec 2013

After leaving "Precious" in surgery in Villudepar, a year ago, I finally returned to find her healed up and raring to go….not bad for a 91' Honda XRE, I bought in Guatemala and drove for three years across all of Central America and up to Punta Gallinas. I rode back to Cartagena for a few days visit with friends there and yesterday headed south. Started at 6am and was going fine. Beautiful day and having a great ride. Oops, I don't have a fuel gauge, and was enjoying the scenery too much. Ran out of fuel. Put it on reserve but she would not start. Got some gas and she still would not start. A local guy towed me with a rope 7Km to a local mechanic who fixed it in two minutes for 5000 pecos ($3.50).
I made Caucasia by sunset and booked into the corner room overlooking the Cauca River. It feels like the Amazon but I know it isn't. May try to take a boat ride in the morning. Stay at the Colonial Hotel and ask for a corner room overlooking the river. Mine was clean and nice and internet is great. $22.US. I ate at Las Brisas on the river…nice but expensive. I have to quit spending so much money or I will run out….Great trip so far! Loving it!
I have pics but have not figured out how to upload them, if someone can help, I apologize…I am useless…looked for button but can't find it.

Day 2 Caucasia to Medellin (Not the best day)
Cleaned up and left after a wonderful night and morning. All started well. No plan and 289 clicks to Medellin. Left at 10am. I was told it got cold by my Mechanic but did not pay much attention. I had my rain gear out and everything else packed deep so I could not get at it. Nice ride along the Cauca River for an hour or more then you start up...As you head up into the mountains, it begins to get cold then colder. Lots of trucks and buses to pass. Road was better than others I have been on. I put on what I could access a t shirt on top of a long sleeve and my rain gear top half. I was chilled but survived…if you do it, prepare better than I did. My back main shock is worn out and I never bothered to replace it. Because of the way the bike was loaded, a sharper than expected curve, I almost ate a big red truck…..I was sliding back wheel toward inside radius of turn….a fraction of a second….somehow, I pulled out of it but the rest of my ride was somewhat diminished. First, I was mad, at myself but then I went over it and tried to understand what happened….still not positive but too much front brake, bad shock and not attentive enough, all combined. Well, definitely more attention to every second of riding in the mountains is the most important thing I can do. As I am not a planner ended up at the Premium Hotel downtown Medellin for 26000 pesos. (More of a 3 hour hotel it turns out.) Rubber pillows under the pillow cases but I was so tired, I did not notice. Don't recommend this place. My spanish is harder to use here…they understand less and fewer people speak English. Not the right part of town, I guess. I know this is a beautiful city but I am going to pack up and keep going. I am not about cities. I am going to go 4 hours and crash in some nice quite village, I hope!

Windynite screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 07:25 AM
Windynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,077
How to post pictures.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote