User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
PanamaJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
50/50 Tour NH to Panama, Crossed into Mexico Reynosa

Just crossed into Mexico from McAllen, TX through the border on the Pharr international bridge,. Basically Rte 281 South dumps you into it. So easy, I was through by the time I realized I better ask about the papers I needed. I was told to proceed down the road another 500 meters to where the large gray ADUANAs building was and signs saying for importation of cars. I was able to do everything in one building, and I was only one of 3 people getting the paperwork done. Maybe it was because it was only 40 degrees F or the Monday before Thanksgiving, but was through with everything done within 40 minutes. They have Banjcito (?) there with some of the prettiest eye candy attending to you. Next I found my way through Reynosa and tried to withdrawl money from my atm card.
After multiple trys at various banks still no luck. I had called my bank and still it was blocked. Tonight was on the phone to the bank and they said "Oh, sometimes the VISA company will put a block on it in some areas.. " Lets hope that solves the issues.
Also, I tried to get Insurance before crossing at McALLen, and though there are places to give Auto insurance. I had a hard time finding one that did Motorcycles. Finally found a small place Pronto Insurance who called a friend at Allstate and she was able to get me a policy for liability.. $134.00 for 1 year.
Hope this info helps any one who is jittery about coming across into Mexico. I was nervous but in reality was all in my head.
I am now sitting in front of a roaring fire at a very nice hotel in Santiago on the square, across from the church, Las Palomas a room was 990 pesos ($78). Well worth it after 2 days of riding in 40 degree weather.
PanamaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Hats Off

You, sir, are, and will continue to be, rewarded for your efforts.

Continue to have a grand time, and don't forget to take copious photos
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Right there where you are is Horse Tail Falls

a.k.a. Cola de Caballo

You can ask at the zocalo (square) how to find it - you are really close. Well worth it.

PS, enjoy the fire at the hotel. There's nothing like crossing the border, your first day conquest done, and the bike safely parked and you freshly squeaked from a hot shower, and set in the lobby of a cozy hotel with a roaring fire.

Malbec?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

If you think you want to pass up the suggestion, take a look at this:

You're right there. Go see it.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
PanamaJ OP
Adventurer

Horse tail falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If you think you want to pass up the suggestion, take a look at this:

You're right there. Go see it.
WOw, there is alot more water in that photo, then I was there. But still a great place. have headed south to get some warmth.

THanks for the boost.
PanamaJ
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
PanamaJ OP
Adventurer

50/50 Tour NH to Panama. Central Mexico

So, it has been a week or so since I crossed into Mexico. And I am still alive. Mexico, is great, the people super friendly and the roads in good condition. Easy to withdraw money from ATM's with debt card, and also use a debt card for purchases of hotels, and Gas.
I have been trying to search out the smaller towns, on a list of caleed, "Pueblos Magicos" (Magical Towns) something the mexican tourism board created to highlight smaller colonial towns.
I spent several nights in Zecatecas, a city that has amazing churches, and they, along with the central buildings are illuminated at night. In my humble opinion, it is on the level of Paris for beauty at night. And during the whole period I was there, I saw fewer then 4 foreigners. Was walking down the street on a sunday morning, and saw a congregation of bikers in front of the main church. Asked if they were heading out for a ride. Happens it was Dia de Motocyclista in Mexico. Sprinted back to my hotel and pushed the bike out of the lobby, the only secure parking they had, and got to the church. They were all gone, except one who waited for me.
We caught up with the group, and the Leader of UNA OZ Juan ( El chino) introduced me by mega phone to group of 100 bikers. We headed out to a dam area for a lunch in Villa Nueva, drank some beers, ( of course, that is expected on the sunday rides), and then returned. They presented me with a great T-shirt and all because I happened to be in the right place.
The adventure moves onto to Guanjuato and San Miegel de Allende.
Safe travels to everyone out there on 2 wheels.
Hasta Pronto.
Panama J.