Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #181
vege
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
hey Alex, is that zanders rd, did it go right through?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #182
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by vege View Post
hey Alex, is that zanders rd, did it go right through?
No, that's the end of Rapson Rd. Zanders road ended in someone's backyard. I had to ride out their drive, while they weren't looking :-).
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #183
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

I went to the Waitemata MC Family trail ride this morning. Since it's only a few km away from the house, I was back for lunch. It's $35 for non-members. The beginners loop was just about right for me.

Two steep down hills kept me on my toes, once I even had to accelerate down hill, has the front started ploughing in the sand. I did only two loops, but it was still worth it. I have a couple of things to do this afternoon, but it would have been easy to make a day of it. So if you live in Auckland, it's definitely an option for adventure riders.

I would have been even more adventurous, had I not been on my own :-). On the other hand, I only got passed by an 80 year old and a few girls.

It's a good way to work up a sweat. I have to put in another plug for the front suspension, it works great. No clunking of the main stand, but I must have ploughed some ruts with the front of the engine. What I need is more ground clearance. I know the Basic came with a shorter shock to reduce the angle of the drive shaft, at the expense of ground clearance. Maybe I should fit a longer shock, or maybe it's possible to make my WP a little longer?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #184
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
I'm pretty sure that your Basic has the same WP shock as mine and its the longest you can get.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #185
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
I c in the 1st pic they must of thought some Wellington riders were gunna show up that's probably cause the steep bank u rode down they would of rode up

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #186
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I'm pretty sure that your Basic has the same WP shock as mine and its the longest you can get.
Apparently it's 490mm long, 10mm shorter than the standard GS, according to this website.

How much this translates into more ride height, I don't know. But just looking at it, I can see that the Basic seems to squat in the rear.

Probably not worth the effort. On sand it's no big deal to bottom out a little.

*Edit* I went and read the whole page. Everything has been explained in detail. The extra 10mm are good for a 15-30mm lift, depending on preload. There are people who can extend the shock, not sure who would do this in NZ, maybe Djebbe Bruin? Another bonus of this is that the bike will be easier to put on the main stand. At the moment it's a pita.

Kokopelli screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 11:37 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #187
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Apparently it's 490mm long, 10mm shorter than the standard GS, according to this website.

How much this translates into more ride height, I don't know. But just looking at it, I can see that the Basic seems to squat in the rear.

Probably not worth the effort. On sand it's no big deal to bottom out a little.

*Edit* I went and read the whole page. Everything has been explained in detail. The extra 10mm are good for a 15-30mm lift, depending on preload. There are people who can extend the shock, not sure who would do this in NZ, maybe Djebbe Bruin? Another bonus of this is that the bike will be easier to put on the main stand. At the moment it's a pita.
Mine is 498mm as best as I can measure it. I have an older Ohlins catalogue that shows a BM836 as 495. I have a new catalogue around somewhere that shows the newer Ohlins with the reservoir and I think that is 498mm as well. If I find it I will edit this. I reckon there is about another 8mm I could gain in shock length before the u joints start to bind but I don't think I will go there.
Tjebbe would be a good one to look at it. It may be as simple as removing a spacer as they may make all the shocks the same and just use a spacer to shorten it. Worst case is it gets an oil change !
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #188
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Tjebbe would be a good one to look at it. It may be as simple as removing a spacer as they may make all the shocks the same and just use a spacer to shorten it. Worst case is it gets an oil change !
Cheers Phil
Thanks for that. I had visions of having to weld an extension in. I wouldn't have been comfortable with that.

Plus an oil change is probably not a bad idea anyhow. I just remembered that I have Watson Racing in Kumeu. They do KTM and suspension work. I'll have pop in and ask them.

I can't get my head around how removing a spacer would make the shock longer, but I really hope that's all it takes.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #189
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
I went to the Waitemata MC Family trail ride this morning. Since it's only a few km away from the house, I was back for lunch. It's $35 for non-members. The beginners loop was just about right for me. It's a good way to work up a sweat.
Looks like you had a fun morning there. I gather its mostly sand based, so limited mud.

You could drop the centre stand to get more clearance, but at the potential expense of your mid pipe.

Those kids zipping past would have had more suitable tyres too. I'd love to try Gus with proper knobbies one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
I can't get my head around how removing a spacer would make the shock longer, but I really hope that's all it takes.
If its like my forks, the spacers stop the damper assembly fully extending. You'd likely need a longer spring, or a spacer on that to fully extend the shock though.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #190
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Looks like you had a fun morning there. I gather its mostly sand based, so limited mud.

You could drop the centre stand to get more clearance, but at the potential expense of your mid pipe.

Those kids zipping past would have had more suitable tyres too. I'd love to try Gus with proper knobbies one day.

If its like my forks, the spacers stop the damper assembly fully extending. You'd likely need a longer spring, or a spacer on that to fully extend the shock though.
Ah, thanks, that make sense. If it's cheaper than buying a new shock, I am all for it.

Yeah, it's all sand. It's been raining all night, too, so it was easy to ride on.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #191
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
I went to the Waitemata MC Family trail ride this morning. ?
Good stuff, & to think people look at me funny when I rock up to trail rides on something as big & unwieldy as the 640

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #192
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Good stuff, & to think people look at me funny when I rock up to trail rides on something as big & unwieldy as the 640

Cheers
Clint
what makes you think its because of the bike?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #193
Manakau.KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
people can look a bit funny when they're envious.
Manakau.KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #194
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

Be very careful. A very few mm over standard length and heads of the bolts on the gearbox outlet flange will begin fouling on the nose of the shaft tube on full extension. Somewhere on the GS thread (KiwiBiker I think...) in the last 12 months I document how critical this dimension is, having been caught out by a previous owner having taken the damper apart for some reason and reassembling it so it was a fraction longer than stock. Problem fixed instantly with a loaned un-bodged OEM and I now have a new Ohlins to get me back to OEM length.

Added
April 2012 KiwiBiker. 8 mm over length = dangerous binding.

Regards,

Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #195
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
Be very careful. A very few mm over standard length and heads of the bolts on the gearbox outlet flange will begin fouling on the nose of the shaft tube on full extension. Somewhere on the GS thread (KiwiBiker I think...) in the last 12 months I document how critical this dimension is, having been caught out by a previous owner having taken the damper apart for some reason and reassembling it so it was a fraction longer than stock. Problem fixed instantly with a loaned un-bodged OEM and I now have a new Ohlins to get me back to OEM length.

Added
April 2012 KiwiBiker. 8 mm over length = dangerous binding.

Regards,

Michael
Thanks for that. I just want to go up to standard length, in this case 498mm