Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #256
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

There is now way, that he'll ever need to worry about this white stuff again, not with me, anyway.

Spotted this in your first post. I think we'll change that this year?
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #257
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaTTaz View Post
Spotted this in your first post. I think we'll change that this year?
Oh no, I'll have to eat my words. Not the first time, by the way
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #258
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Hmmmm. That is high. Did you get it cut off from the last owner & a reading taken?

http://www.physics.otago.ac.nz/eman/...energyuse.html

The pump isn't a great power draw so I'm unsure if it would be that.
I would hazard a guess that it would be the cooking appliances myself. Maybe too many roasts & fry ups
I would wait for a couple of months & monitor the bill to see if it drops.
I have a energy consumption meter thing you can hook around individual wires to see what each circuit draws. i went thru my house with it & was quite interested in the amount of power different things used.
You may borrow it if you wish to delve deeper.
Thanks, I'd love to borrow it, if you think it is easy enough to use.

What are your views on photovoltaic panels? We're currently investigation whether it's something we should do. We are in contact with this company from Nelson solarelectricnz.co.nz. I am thinking that this would take care of the power needs of the pool and maybe could be used to charge our night storage heater during the day, so we can have it running at night.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #259
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Thanks, I'd love to borrow it, if you think it is easy enough to use.

What are your views on photovoltaic panels? We're currently investigation whether it's something we should do. We are in contact with this company from Nelson solarelectricnz.co.nz. I am thinking that this would take care of the power needs of the pool and maybe could be used to charge our night storage heater during the day, so we can have it running at night.
HA! That was the a topic I was going to bring up on the off topic thread as everyone asks me about them on nearly every job I'm on.

I myself don't believe in them. However in saying that you do have the right idea using them for hooking up to the nitestore or hot water system to use the power when it is being generated.

I believe many people have misguided ideas of them saving money in the long term/ being environmentally friendly. In saying this I am one of the seemingly few naysayers re their use & many sparkies / electrical wholesalers are jumping on the PV bandwagon as they did when solar hot water came out & LED lites hit the market.

Stuff had a good article the other day on the power companies views re selling the power back to companies, & the best article (most honest in my view) I think was on consumer mag & was written by a character down in Queenstown who is the biggest retailer of the units down there. I will try to hook them out & post them.

Short story is storing power is expensive, puts too many unnecessary bits in the equation & unless you want to go totally offgrid impractical. I'm currently (teehee good pun there Padmei) working on an off grid house that the new owners want to get mains power to as the batteries & generator are cumbersome & not working properly.

Selling power back to the companies is never going to work properly - people want to spend lots of money on their pet project & then expect a business to buy back their product.
If you have a business or home with a lot of power usuage while the sun is out then go for it- if the power saved actually does cover the installation & maintenance costs before it packs up then well done I say! But from my hundreds of solar hot water installs it is the hype/ emotional greeny propaganda that usually wins over practicality.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #260
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

You are right, there is a lot of hype surrounding this technology. However, the prices for an installation have dropped a lot during the last few years. I will try to work out how much power we are using during the day and if it turns out that we can use maybe 70-80% of the power ourselves, it may still be a good option.

My wife has told me that the cook top is taking a long time to heat up and that the oven is heating up very rapidly. Is it possible that they are responsible for the consumption? I guess we'd just have to turn them on and watch the meter.
I'll give that a go during the weekend.

I rode Basil to work yesterday and it was good have the bike back. Now I'll need to find some time to get onto gravel.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #261
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
HA! That was the a topic I was going to bring up on the off topic thread as everyone asks me about them on nearly every job I'm on.

I myself don't believe in them. However in saying that you do have the right idea using them for hooking up to the nitestore or hot water system to use the power when it is being generated.

I believe many people have misguided ideas of them saving money in the long term/ being environmentally friendly. In saying this I am one of the seemingly few naysayers re their use & many sparkies / electrical wholesalers are jumping on the PV bandwagon as they did when solar hot water came out & LED lites hit the market.

Stuff had a good article the other day on the power companies views re selling the power back to companies, & the best article (most honest in my view) I think was on consumer mag & was written by a character down in Queenstown who is the biggest retailer of the units down there. I will try to hook them out & post them.

Short story is storing power is expensive, puts too many unnecessary bits in the equation & unless you want to go totally offgrid impractical. I'm currently (teehee good pun there Padmei) working on an off grid house that the new owners want to get mains power to as the batteries & generator are cumbersome & not working properly.

Selling power back to the companies is never going to work properly - people want to spend lots of money on their pet project & then expect a business to buy back their product.
If you have a business or home with a lot of power usuage while the sun is out then go for it- if the power saved actually does cover the installation & maintenance costs before it packs up then well done I say! But from my hundreds of solar hot water installs it is the hype/ emotional greeny propaganda that usually wins over practicality.
Agree with ya there buddy. A mate of mine was building a new house a few years back and asked me about what i trhought on solar hot water heating. I asked him how much for the solar system which I think was towards $10k. I got him to get the cost of an electric cylinder, around $1000 and got him to show me his power bill and I showed him the water heating part of that which was around $40 per month. If he had no running cost at all with the solar (which probably wont happen in winter ) it would take around 8 years to pay for itself, by which time the solar system would probably require maintainance or replacement. I seem to remember being told the life expectancy not great on the photocells ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #262
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Did a quick ride this evening. Now with leaking push rod tube seals. I'll see if I can be bothered changing them again.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #263
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Another great evening, so I went out again. This is somewhere along the North Bank rd, up Pine Valley. It's only 30min. from home, so I'll be back, to quote someone famous.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #264
Padmei
enamoured

Nice koko. Is that the lil flat area past the camp with a swing bridge next to it? if so we did a stream study up there. We can attest that it is a good stream - plenty of lil water creature things, the clarity was good, flow over 10m was sufficient.

The bush study tho wasn't as good. Not many bugs, birds, seeds. See what you learn on school camp

How about a Mt Patriarch ride in the near future? Neat place.

Edit - I'm going to check out some cheap blue spray cans now.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #265
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

The place you mean is probably called Mill flat, or something like that. I did not cross the stream, because I did not feel like a water study this late on a Sunday afternoon. I am sure one of those creatures would have swum up a nostril, or something.

Oh, I could not get that transmitter to work. We haven't been to Nelson yet, but I am planning to and could I then borrow your spare?

I also had a look at a photovoltaic installation. They guys do tidy work. Got a second quote from some guys in Blenheim and it was pretty close to the one from Nelson. The Nelson bunch seem to use slightly higher specifications.

I tootled around the Wairau riverbed again. It is so much easier riding on rocks, when there is no water involved.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #266
Padmei
enamoured

I have got the spare one in the truck & was going to post it out to you.

I've dealt with these guys for many years & they are up with the play.

http://www.esolar.co.nz/

yes mill flat was the place
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #267
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
I have got the spare one in the truck & was going to post it out to you.

I've dealt with these guys for many years & they are up with the play.

http://www.esolar.co.nz/

yes mill flat was the place
Yes, Frank gave me the quote and it was his installation I looked at. I am still not 100% sold on it, but if our power bill is not coming down, it makes sense to do it.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #268
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Mill Flat again

MMy wife and I drove out to Mill Flat this afternoon. Her bike has a dead battery and I was sick of bump starting it again, so we tool the car. what a beautiful spot it is. It got me thinking. It would be ideal for a top of the south advrider meeting. It's even got a toilet. Photos below. While I don't know for sure, I am too new around here, I am guessing there is plenty of riding to be had around the North Bank area. In the evening it could be a camp fire and beer. One or two nights.

This autumn or next spring? Who is interested. Might start a thread about it.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #269
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 1,068
Sounds good.

North bank is at the doorstep of Mt patriach which is an awesome ride. I am ready to tackle that on the GS now.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:58 AM   #270
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,465
I'm in, the Goulter Alpine Route is also open on weekends and is a similarly challenging ride right up the top of the North Bank road.

Another one is the road between Onamalutu and Bartletts Creek, it was open a few weeks back when I checked.

I'm sure we could fill in a day or two of riding.

Another thing is I could always chuck a bbq and the bike on the back of my ute so we could have some good feeds if we camped up there for one or two nights.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote