Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Suncruiser OP
and Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Anyone tried 19/18 wheel combination

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of trying out a 19" front wheel with the existing 18" rear wheel with Trail Attack front and Heidenau rear and just swap to the 21" front with a Desert for the dirt. Anyone tried this 19"/18" combination?

Thanks for your input
2010 Adventure 990 R
Suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
That's what I've been running for the last 8 months, I got a woody's 19" made up and have only ridden road at this stage with Pilot road 3's. I had trail attacks on the 18/21" prior to getting the 19" front but found they were so hard I could reach the limits of traction fairly easily, the PR3's are much better for the road.

The bike drops into corners so easy it has caught out a few mates when they have ridden it.

I'd love to get it over your neck of the woods in this config.

GUV
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Just a waste of money. No advantage at all. Don't even get the Sumo look as a reward. Buy a BMW
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Errr

If you are implying that one is soft to be wanting to change from a 21 to a 19" front wheel by your informative response, you will need to pull your undersized arrogant head from your arse and revisit Suncruisers post and click on the links, this would reveal that the man is probably one of the most travelled adventure rider on this forum, If you were referring to me being soft, that would be correct.

GUV.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Just a waste of money. No advantage at all. Don't even get the Sumo look as a reward. Buy a BMW
This quote just seems so out of character for a well reasoned person ? Brain snap ? Or have we missed something ?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncruiser View Post
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of trying out a 19" front wheel with the existing 18" rear wheel with Trail Attack front and Heidenau rear and just swap to the 21" front with a Desert for the dirt. Anyone tried this 19"/18" combination?

Thanks for your input
I have the 19'/18" for a second set of wheels, just love the way they work with the wide 19 and the wide ADV 18 and Conti's
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Suncruiser OP
and Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Thanks ...

... guys for your input from experience, I really appreciate that. My 21" is the narrower Dirt Star 1.85' rim which is great in dirt but just feels a bit like not enough grip and feed-back on the road.
2010 Adventure 990 R
Suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
RibRoy
RibRoy

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUV- View Post
That's what I've been running for the last 8 months, I got a woody's 19" made up and have only ridden road at this stage with Pilot road 3's. I had trail attacks on the 18/21" prior to getting the 19" front but found they were so hard I could reach the limits of traction fairly easily, the PR3's are much better for the road.

The bike drops into corners so easy it has caught out a few mates when they have ridden it.

GUV
Hi, What width do you have on the front rim? Do you have standard widht on the rear and du you use 140/80 or 150/70-18?

Thanks
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:

GUV
I just ordered a 19x2.5" front wheel with new hub from KTM-Twins (built by RAD Manufacturing). I'm considering either Pilot Road 3, Anakee 2, or Anakee 3 (when available) for the 19" front. Will the Anakee grip nearly as well on road as the PR3?

For reference I had a TKC front (21") and Dunlop 908 rear that absolutely sucked at speed in the curves. Went back to the OEM Pirellis front and rear but the front end still felt vague, numb, unplanted on higher speed curves ... no road feel. To me the 990 Adventure has a very boring on-road handling feel with the 21" front tire. I should have probably gotten a 990 SMT? My goal with the front 19" is a more planted front end. For mild dual sport rides I'll swap on the 21" front.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
Hi, What width do you have on the front rim? Do you have standard widht on the rear and du you use 140/80 or 150/70-18
The front is a Pilot Road Trail 110/80 19 and the rear is a Pilot Road 3 160/60 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
I just ordered a 19x2.5" front wheel with new hub from KTM-Twins (built by RAD Manufacturing). I'm considering either Pilot Road 3, Anakee 2, or Anakee 3 (when available) for the 19" front. Will the Anakee grip nearly as well on road as the PR3?

For reference I had a TKC front (21") and Dunlop 908 rear that absolutely sucked at speed in the curves. Went back to the OEM Pirellis front and rear but the front end still felt vague, numb, unplanted on higher speed curves ... no road feel. To me the 990 Adventure has a very boring on-road handling feel with the 21" front tire. I should have probably gotten a 990 SMT? My goal with the front 19" is a more planted front end. For mild dual sport rides I'll swap on the 21" front.
Not sure if the Anakee would be as good on road as the PR3. I had a SMT for a while, it does handle the road better than the Adv but you can have just as much fun at a slower pace on the Adv, the 19" front feels great, I had brought the forks up through the triples to get it to turn better with the 21/18 and Conti Trail Attacks but dropped them right back through when fitting the Pirelli's.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
RibRoy
RibRoy

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
The front is a Pilot Road Trail 110/80 19 and the rear is a Pilot Road 3 160/60 18.

Not sure if the Anakee would be as good on road as the PR3. I had a SMT for a while, it does handle the road better than the Adv but you can have just as much fun at a slower pace on the Adv, the 19" front feels great, I had brought the forks up through the triples to get it to turn better with the 21/18 and Conti Trail Attacks but dropped them right back through when fitting the Pirelli's.

Thank you for sharing the tire dim. I would be very happy if you can post the width of the rims as well. Thanks
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
19x2.5"
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:

Thanks. I've eliminated the Anakee 2 front from the choices.

My three finalists for a front 110/80R19 are:
1) Pirelli Scorpion Trail (good enough to be on the new Multistrada and the hot '13 Hyperstrada)
2) Anakee 3 (not yet available but should be interesting; standard on '13 GS12)
3) Pilot Road 3 Trail (possibly the best on road but worst off road of these three?)

I'd love to hear some opinions for 5% dirt. I have a 21" with brand new OEM Pirellis for light dual sport; I have my KTM300XC (plated) for the nastiest off road stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
fastdirt505
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I recently had a 2013 KTM 500 EXC. I had put 17" SM wheels/Distanzia's on it. It did really well off road and great on road. Of course the stock 21" front is best off road, but since we all do %50 on road and %50 off road wouldn't a 19'' front be perfect to meet in the middle. I was always thinking that. I mean were not motocrossing here...just my thoughts.
fastdirt505 is offline   Reply With Quote