Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
You should have seen Gus on his XT500 at Slap last year.
It was real trooper.
Just remember its a slow poorly suspended old bike, that will anywhere your man enough to ride it at a slower pace.
I would like to have one to go with my XT550 Franken bike....
But to be honest I find to many bikes means I favor ONE and neglect the rest.
Thats who it is with my XT550, its just wonderful and goes anywhere I point it and always comes home again.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Mowserito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Left a message for the guy selling the frames yesterday and he still hasn't called me back I did ask about their condition so hopefully he's just getting them all nice and perty before I go and drop some cash on them.

For the sake of my wallet I'm thinking of just buying one frame to get the XT all legal and junk and either part out the TT or chop up the frame and turn it into some sort of bobber thingy (and apply for a new "Special Construction" VIN/title for that bike)

I'm going into work tomorrow with the shiny parts of my KZ build so I can take some glamour shots for the CL ad, I hate to sell the thing but I bought it in about 6 different boxes and its just been a pain to find all the small little parts to even get it in rolling chassis form (plus who uses 630 chains these days am I right?). Maybe if my work load is light and i actually get to take pics I'll post them here. I have a tiny, pathetic build thread over on the do-the-ton forums if anyone is interested:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42269.0
It hasn't been updated in a while, since my last post I've installed a manual cam chain tensioner, seated the valves/did a crapload of head work and squeezed the engine in.

Sorry for the thread derailment, I'm just holding off doing homework for the night is all. SOMEONE POST SOME MORE XT/TT PICS I'M ALMOST READY TO KEEP MY KZ!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,303
My old '78.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
I can still vaguely remember kick starting my 76 TT500 when it had high sided off yet another corner and was real hot.
Good times.......... Handled just like a flexy heavy DT1 with a big engine stuffed in. Cost me a healthy left knee due to it wanting to turn turtle off big jumps.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Mowserito OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
My old '78.

Man that's pretty, hows the supertrapp sound on it?

I still haven't heard back from the guy with the frames, I do get paid this saturday though so i'll see about maybe snatching up the xt and tt before the weeks out. Hopefully. But I do have to go to a salvage yard to pick up some parts for my truck on sunday (stupid priorities...) and I suppose if I do get a check i'd have to wait until tuesday to cash it... I don't know, I just want to throw a leg over one and go already!

Thread derail #407:
heres my kz project that may or may not be going on craigslist, took these this afternoon. No matter what I do with it it does need some loving:

***Not Pictured: hours of head work, a bunch of boxes of parts and a sad excuse for a bank account
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #21
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. I sold her a couple years ago but the 'trapp sounded great--to me. Some people don't like them.
To me, the smaller Supertrapp just goes with the old school thumpers. I grew up when these bikes were new and Supertrapps were the performance muffler of choice--if you were concerned with power and spark arrester capabilities.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
the 'trapp sounded great--to me. Some people don't like them. To me, the smaller Supertrapp just goes with the old school thumpers. I grew up when these bikes were new and Supertrapps were the performance muffler of choice--if you were concerned with power and spark arrester capabilities.
The big advantage of the Supertrapp muffler is that it tucks in much tighter than the bulky stock muffler. That's nice if you are using saddlebags. Otherwise, I didn't care for mine. The spark arrester fell off on a busy highway on my way between Spokane and Los Angeles, and I got a warning ticket for the extra noise before I was able to pull into White Brothers and pick up a replacement. It was too loud if you put enough discs in to make it efficient and too restrictive if you took enough out to live with the noise. I didn't notice any gains in power and only a tiny increase in gas mileage. My XT was the last of half a dozen motorcycles I owned on which I replaced the exhaust, and I vowed I would never do it again. Maybe the newer aftermarket systems are better engineered and higher quality. They should be, to justify their asking prices.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
The big advantage of the Supertrapp muffler is that it tucks in much tighter than the bulky stock muffler. That's nice if you are using saddlebags. Otherwise, I didn't care for mine. The spark arrester fell off on a busy highway on my way between Spokane and Los Angeles, and I got a warning ticket for the extra noise before I was able to pull into White Brothers and pick up a replacement. It was too loud if you put enough discs in to make it efficient and too restrictive if you took enough out to live with the noise. I didn't notice any gains in power and only a tiny increase in gas mileage. My XT was the last of half a dozen motorcycles I owned on which I replaced the exhaust, and I vowed I would never do it again. Maybe the newer aftermarket systems are better engineered and higher quality. They should be, to justify their asking prices.
Huh, that's odd. Every time I installed a 'trapp on my bikes I immediately noticed way better bottom end and throttle response.

LOL on the losing the end assembly. I had that happen on a '79 SR500 once. Thankfully, I was just up the street from my house and the end cap and plates were all still on the attachment rod.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
Mowserito OP
Adventurer

Thumb Awww yeah!

Huge update!

I was contacted by the owner of the titled frames, I just got back from his place and the frame is clean as can be! I ran the frame number by the dmv and its clean, so It's all starting to come together now!

I get paid hopefully on saturday, I'll talk to my friends dad about when the best time to grab the bikes is and once we set all that up I'll contact my frame guy and he'll get me the frame (its currently attached to a transmission and a pair of wheel and nothing else). Only downside is he only has one titled frame so I can't register the TT, that'll probably be sold for parts.

Also I put my KZ up on CL and I'm waiting on some hits on that, I have a project bike limit of 2 at a time (I keep my projects at my parents and my mom doesn't want a "junkyard in her backyard") but I think its pretty enough that my mom might be able to keep it around (might as well put it in my old room, nobody uses it anyway) so if I don't get any serious offers I'll probably put it on the back burner for a spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
The big advantage of the Supertrapp muffler is that it tucks in much tighter than the bulky stock muffler
that's a big reason why I want one for my XT in the future, that and the adjustability factor.

Thanks for sticking in there guys, if it does happen I'll be sure to post lots of pics
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
Mowserito OP
Adventurer

I love it when a plan comes together...

The time has come. I have my paycheck from work, it gets cashed tomorrow. I'll call my friends dad tomorrow as well. The plan is to pick up the bikes/parts on friday and leave the cash in his house (known this family for a long time, so I can enter whenever I want as long as I knock first haha). Then I'll contact the guy with the titled frame and get that rolling as well.

From there it turns into space allocation, the kz will be going to my parents (after the motor gets all nice and buttoned up and I get a cover for it to keep dirt and dust at bay) and the XT will be going to my work for its awakening.

SO EXCITED!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #26
Mr Puffin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Good news indeed I hope you realise we need some photos of the project
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Mowserito OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh Wow, its almost been a year...

Resurrected from the dead!

So I'm sure by now the people who actually care about this thread is just me lol. But I just wanted to give you guys an update, mostly because I'm bored but mostly because I have an issue for the XT gurus to solve

So I got the bikes to my work, TT got parted out and partially traded for the titled tt500 frame i mentioned before. The XT started 3rd kick after I cleaned out the carb bowl and put a new fuel filter in it, rattled my teeth out putting it down the block but it was a nice ride!

So then the headaches started... I noticed the accelerator pump wasn't really working right, the "jet" or orifice would clog constantly so I decided to keep it simple and take it off and switch it for one of the 4 carbs I got with the bikes. So the carb I put on never got the bike to run, put the pumper carb back on and promptly broke the linkage mount for the pump

So I rigged a coat hanger wire to make a new linkage and got the bike to sort of run decently again, but I had to crack the throttle just a tad to start it which resulted in my legs being pelted by kickback

After a while everything seemed gravy, just needed to take it for a testdrive to see if my new linkage has fixed the carb issues. I left the air cleaner off because i'm a lazy tool, took it up the block and up onto a curb (don't tell johnny law) and it ran like a charm. I swung it around to return home and just as I pulled into my driveway I felt this burning ooze cover my legs and shoot up into my shorts...The breather that connects to the airbox was puking oil and almost made me lose control of the bike and biff it.

So my thought was the check valve was toast, either that or it was going bad and leaking compression got past the rings and pushed oil out the breather (my coworkers opinion, he is older and saltier so I usually take his words to heart lol) but I thought that maybe the valve operates only if there is resistance or some sort as I've seen people run without the airbox and just a little filter on the breather.

Tl;DR - my bike is MIA and I have no idea if I should buy a new piston/ring set (although they look nice/in spec and crosshatch is still noticeable) or get a new checkvalve. Help me Advrider you're my only friends hope

***P.S. - I didn't even get a chance to get a pic of her when she was all tarted up and pretty
Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,759
If the blowby is that significant then pull the crankcase breather hose when it's idling and you should feel pretty good pressure out of the crankcase. Sounds to me like it's got too much oil in the system.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote