ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: TampaBay
Oddometer: 210
Parts Cleaner Fluid: What do you use?

I saved two parts cleaners from going to the scrap heap and made one old-skool working parts cleaner with nothing but time and effort.
So, I bought a 5 gal container of Parts Cleaning solution at Northern Tool but over the last year about half of it evaporated.

I was at Northern Tool last weekend but I just couldn't swallow another $69 bucks for 5 gallons of fluid.
Checked Mineral spirits at Walmart but that was also about $12/gal

My garage is attached to my house so odor is a concern (otherwise I would have already filled that sucker with diesel)

What fluids are you guys using?
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
jar944
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
I saved two parts cleaners from going to the scrap heap and made one old-skool working parts cleaner with nothing but time and effort.
So, I bought a 5 gal container of Parts Cleaning solution at Northern Tool but over the last year about half of it evaporated.

I was at Northern Tool last weekend but I just couldn't swallow another $69 bucks for 5 gallons of fluid.
Checked Mineral spirits at Walmart but that was also about $12/gal

My garage is attached to my house so odor is a concern (otherwise I would have already filled that sucker with diesel)

What fluids are you guys using?
I use mineral spirits, and yes the solution cost far more than the parts washer itself.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 7,664
Ive JUST started using PineSol . . . . much info here on ADVrider . . . .works pretty well on anything less than homeric amounts of crud and grease . . . . . . and easily disposed of when yer done.
__________________
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,313
The price of mineral spirits sure has gone up. I have been reclaiming mine, magnets in the tank to get rid of the steel, some decanting and then I filter it and add some fresh stuff to top up. But sure gets stinky after a while, have to keep the shop clothes outside sometimes.

The really dirty stuff, I presoak in gasoline in a closed bucket outside. Then wait til it dries out and that smell evaporates.Old gasoline mixed with mineral spirits, even stinkier.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: TampaBay
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Ive JUST started using PineSol . . . . much info here on ADVrider . . . .works pretty well on anything less than homeric amounts of crud and grease . . . . . . and easily disposed of when yer done.
Know where to get 5 gallons??? My wife would absolutely love if the garage smelled like PineSol!!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,313
^^^ Janitorial supply places??? I know it comes in 144 Oz, 3/cse just saw it at ours recently. Should have asked about 5 Gal. Will next time but I know you can buy other brands of "Pine" cleaners in 5 gal buckets.

May even be cheaper there than Wally and such.

Looked just like this:

http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Clorox...r-p/153017.htm
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Lomez
Yea...Sunday too
 
Lomez's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 207
Hard to beat acetone, though it's polar, it still solves non-polar stuff like grease and grime. Plus, it evaporates fast leaving behind just clean. However, you must keep the lid closed....or like I said, it evaporates.

My usual technique is to clean in two steps.
  • Step one is to remove the big stuff. For this, my favorites are diesel or naptha (lighter fluid).
  • Step two is a finish cleaning with acetone or MEK because they solve most everything, and finish clean and DRY.
__________________
Yea...I'm gonna need you to move a little to the left.....yea
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky-Eastern that is!
Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Know where to get 5 gallons??? My wife would absolutely love if the garage smelled like PineSol!!
Bandsaw mill owners (as myself) use pinesol for the blade lube & I buy it at the Dollar Store in their private brand.
I use kerosene or paint thinner for parts cleanup. If it's not a retail shop it's ok
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
Oddometer: 5,153
For parts cleaners, I really like to use mineral spirits but the thing is just use 2 or so gallons. Then fill it up with water to the normal level and reposition the pump pickup tube to be in the spirits. What happens is all the trash falls into the water and gets trapped there, the spirits stay clean. Once or twice a year depending on how much dirty stuff you wash, just siphon off the spirits and dump the water and trash. You can even clean paint brushes with a setup like this on a Friday afternoon and when you come back on Monday the mineral spirits will be clean again. About the only thing you need to be careful of is if you are cleaning things with stale gas in them, that old gas smell never leaves and gets rather annoying after a while and the only way to get rid of it is to change the fluids.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
anotherguy
Banned
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,915
I spend the money and use Graymills Super Agitene. $100+ for five gallons but with care lasts for years. To stop evaporation close the lid on the parts washer.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,268
Mineral Spirits from the local auto parts store.Comes in big expensive buckets.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
For parts cleaners, I really like to use mineral spirits but the thing is just use 2 or so gallons. Then fill it up with water to the normal level and reposition the pump pickup tube to be in the spirits. What happens is all the trash falls into the water and gets trapped there, the spirits stay clean. Once or twice a year depending on how much dirty stuff you wash, just siphon off the spirits and dump the water and trash. You can even clean paint brushes with a setup like this on a Friday afternoon and when you come back on Monday the mineral spirits will be clean again. About the only thing you need to be careful of is if you are cleaning things with stale gas in them, that old gas smell never leaves and gets rather annoying after a while and the only way to get rid of it is to change the fluids.
I like this water trick, will put it passed my friend he wants to build a parts washer. Could make it easy to set an old kitchen sink on a drum without requiring too much solvent.

Febreze or such in the water to deodorize?
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #13
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace
 
homerj's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: 742 Evergreen Terrace
Oddometer: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Know where to get 5 gallons??? My wife would absolutely love if the garage smelled like PineSol!!
Pinesol is also non-flammable and safe for rubber o-rings inside a lot of the parts I end up cleaning.
__________________
09 570 Rallye Beast
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"-Hunter S. Thompson
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,277
I just bite the bullet and use the Stoddard Solvent that Northern Tool sells since it seems to work well for me. Yes, it does evaporate over time and I keep a can of the stuff around for make up. I usually pull the tub and pump assy. every couple of months to replace the filter sock that is attached to the drain, and add fresh solvent at that time if needed.

Fortunately, my garage is detached so the only time my wife catches a whiff is if she's in there when I'm using the washer, get some on my clothes, or have some residual fluid left on my hands.

Personally, I like the smell of it and other solvents that will probably kill me over the long-haul. I turned 69 today, so at this point I'm not too worried about it.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b
 
HapHazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Know where to get 5 gallons??? My wife would absolutely love if the garage smelled like PineSol!!
My local Home Depot has 60 ounces of real-deal PineSol on sale for $3.20. If you want 5 gallons of it, it would be $35.20, or less is you cut it 50-50 (or whatever ratio you want to try).
(If my math is wrong, be gentle).
I'd try it - my Harbor Freight parts washer can't use flammable solutions, anyway.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014