User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 112
BC Railway Adventure Ride this summer

I wanted to extend an invitation to riders who are experienced explorers and campers. I am hosting a British Columbia Railways Adventure this September 2013.
From Day2 Fav

This will be one of the great rides this year and it you are dying to explore BC Railway trails you might want to join us.
Below is my Video invitation to you

I made a web site to explain details of the ride and to sign up for the ride.

BC Railways 2013

I will limit the ride to 10 riders, and there are only 5 open spots left, so if you are interested you should consider deciding soon. If you have questions, you can either post them here and I will check back every couple of days, or you can send me an email directly.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Good luck. Just don't get caught poaching those parts of your route which are NON motorized as quite a bit of it is now.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Good luck. Just don't get caught poaching those parts of your route which are NON motorized as quite a bit of it is now.
250senuf, thanks I get that, I have worked hard to create routes that avoid the non motorized areas, I do find that away from the city's there are still many great sections that are open to everyone. The hardest part is that organization in Canada do not seem to be united on their views. But I am very serious about obeying all the laws so I will not be riding and Non Motorized areas. If you have some information that I may not know about closed areas, it would be great if you could share that with us.

Thanks gpsKevin
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
I rode a few sections of the KVR this summer and while it was enjoyable, I don't think I would want to do more than a day or 2 on the track... A lot of the sections have gates which you open in front and close behind you... For the most part this isn't too bad, but on some stretches where there is a gate every 5 minutes it can be a bit irritating... Another thing I didn't care fore was meeting oncoming quads and buggies, a good percentage of these guys would be coming down the track wide open and then not even slow down as we met... A little bit unnerving when you see them not in complete control sliding back and forth on the loose surface at full speed and taking up the whole track... And some of those operators are wearing shorts and flip flops... Also like 250senuf mentioned, the politics involved in trying to find out what is open and what is not can be a bit of a pain...

In my books a much better/ wilder experience would be to ride the B.C. interior section of the TCAT: http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...at-bc1&catid=1
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I rode a few sections of the KVR this summer and while it was enjoyable, I don't think I would want to do more than a day or 2 on the track... A lot of the sections have gates which you open in front and close behind you... For the most part this isn't too bad, but on some stretches where there is a gate every 5 minutes it can be a bit irritating... Another thing I didn't care fore was meeting oncoming quads and buggies, a good percentage of these guys would be coming down the track wide open and then not even slow down as we met... A little bit unnerving when you see them not in complete control sliding back and forth on the loose surface at full speed and taking up the whole track... And some of those operators are wearing shorts and flip flops... Also like 250senuf mentioned, the politics involved in trying to find out what is open and what is not can be a bit of a pain...

In my books a much better/ wilder experience would be to ride the B.C. interior section of the TCAT: http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...at-bc1&catid=1
Yup.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

I do a few different things to make the ride great, One I don't ride the trail near towns, or private property,(it not the best stuff and you don't need to annoy someone) and I don't ride it on weekend days, so my experience is that in September when we will be riding it, you see almost no one on the trail,and the sections I am planning have almost no gates. If you check out the route map you will see that only about 30% of the ride can be on Rail Trails. I agree there is a lot of other great stuff in BC and I have ridden a lot of BC. If you all have some recommendation of section to avoid I would love to hear about it. For me much of this ride is good stuff I have done before.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
I do a few different things to make the ride great, One I don't ride the trail near towns, or private property,(it not the best stuff and you don't need to annoy someone) and I don't ride it on weekend days, so my experience is that in September when we will be riding it, you see almost no one on the trail,and the sections I am planning have almost no gates. If you check out the route map you will see that only about 30% of the ride can be on Rail Trails. I agree there is a lot of other great stuff in BC and I have ridden a lot of BC. If you all have some recommendation of section to avoid I would love to hear about it. For me much of this ride is good stuff I have done before.
I clicked on our link and it looks like you've put a bit of time in on this already and have it sorted, route, timings, fees, ect, so no point in screwing with that... With 10 people on the string only 2 {lead,sweep} will have to deal with the gates so it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you take turns and switch around... Duffy lake RD is nice but there are some great big bike friendly dirt alternatives to get from Lillooet to Pemberton: The Bridge River, Seaton, Hi-Line route is one that is pretty epic and could be a trip hi-lite...

I look forward to your RR on this one, I followed along your last report and found it most entertaining....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Not interested in joining the group but really interested in reading the ride report.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Some rail trail info:
Great Northern Rail Trail - NON motorized on the North section, starting a ways north of Ymir (south end of Hall Siding?)
Slocan Valley Rail Trail - NON motorized only
Columbia & Western Rail Trail - NON motorized only; I haven't been able to find anything concrete but I've been told that around Christina Lake/Grand Forks there are lots of fenced off sections.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Sounds like a dare.

Kinda like the guy who ran a sled on the Wapta Icefileds in the park about ten years back.

Just saying...
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Some rail trail info:
Great Northern Rail Trail - NON motorized on the North section, starting a ways north of Ymir (south end of Hall Siding?)
Slocan Valley Rail Trail - NON motorized only
Columbia & Western Rail Trail - NON motorized only; I haven't been able to find anything concrete but I've been told that around Christina Lake/Grand Forks there are lots of fenced off sections.

Snow machines allowed?!?!?!? If so, this makes me wonder.

BTW: @ GPSKevin, I was tentatively planning on riding some of this route a week earlier next year. I have to stretch my days off to straddle the Labor Day weekend though (6 days for me up there). Someday, I hope to be retired like you Until then, leave without pay will have to do so that I can fit all my summer trips in for the year. Otherwise, I'd been signed up with you folks. If I go solo, I will probably camp every night save for one or bad weather days. Looking fwd to your RR next year.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_337 View Post
Snow machines allowed?!?!?!? If so, this makes me wonder.
I don't think so, but I don't have a snow machine so I'm not in a circle of folks who would be talking about that sort of riding location.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
dr650bc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
I am pretty familiar with the Penticton Kelowna section as well as the Summerland - Princeton leg. Contact me if you like for details on where you can ride as well as entertaining bypass routes.
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Dirtbaggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I am very familiar with the KVR, after riding it twice, finished it this sept, riding from castelgar to hope, there are a few sections just past castelgar which are tricky, once those are done, it's a Great ride.Watch it on the trail around Naramata as it is a turns into a hiking trail, quite a few hikers. But i wouldn't want to do the trail on a bike bigger than an 800CC. The trail is a diffentely the best trail ive ridden and hope to do it again in a few years.
Dirtbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
You will run into plenty of people in September as the weather is still hot here then. I have ridden Penticton to Rock Creek sections many times. There are a few non-motorized sections but nothing to serious. Myra Canyon has a nice ride around that I think is even more spectacular than the railbed itself! I think I have a GPS track of it around here somewhere... If anyone is passing through it local, I'm always looking for riding partners!!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote