Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Good to know, CGP. I'm going to measure the width of my 2003 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, and I'll do the same to the C 650 GT. It would be easy for my eyes to give me a false reading on the actual widths.
Don't forget that for lane-splitting you have to measure the width AND the height. Will you touch mirrors with automobiles or vans?
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thanks, John. Good point. A lot of wanna-be cowboys here in big pickup trucks with some pretty serious mirrors.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
noitallal
Banned

Oddometer: 7
I took one the GT and for a few days ago. Here are some thoughts and how it compared to the Tmax I've ridden.

Impressions.

cons:

* Heavier feeling than I expected.
* Seat height much higher than I expected.
* Louder than I expected.
* Not as smooth upon initial acceleration as I expected.
* Not as fast off the line as I expected.
* Dash and overall quailty not as impressive as the Tmax or Burgman 650 IMO.

Pros.
* Very stable on the highway.
* Nice looking.
* Great brakes
* Strong mid-range

Conclusions.
Not enough time to make up my mind.. If I never ride one again, my feelings I'm left with are that the TMax feels sharper, feels and looks like it's put together at least as well if not better and just has an overall sharp and solid no nonsense feel that the BMW did not match. The GT was more plush feeling while the Tmax feels tighter and more precise like a good motorcycle.

However, I'll reserve total judgment until I ride one for more than a few miles. I am well aware that first impressions of bikes often turn out to be completely misleading. From a financial standpoint there would be zero hesitation on my part as to which one I'd choose. The dealer had the Tmax priced at $6999 before negotiations. You can literally save 40% by buying the Tmax. Even If I put a few hundred miles on the BMW it's very hard to image a reason I might discover to buy the BMW over the Tmax. If Money was no object I would still likely buy the Yamaha because no matter how much you earn, money is always an object.

Also please take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt because every word I just wrote was fiction.

But it was a good read, yes?
noitallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #19
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 582
Here's another 2 cents list of pro and cons. I've owned a silver C600 Sport since early January. Picked it up as a demo, with 200 miles on it, with full two years warranty with a 1.800 discount. Nice!

Cons:
- Heavier than anything I've ever had. Center of gravity is nicely low, but still. Before I had a Vespa GTS and this one is 200 pounds heavier. Did anyone say 200? Weight remains very noticeable at low speeds.
- I'm 6'5'' and the windscreen is not for me. I will order a smaller sport screen or something to get my helmet in clear air flow. It almost is with the stock screen at the lowest position, but not quite.
- I went to the theatre with the Mrs. last friday. No black tie, but we sorta dressed for the occasion. On the way home it rained and we found out that the back of the passenger's legs and shoes get really wet with street water from the rear tyre. Those sweet new boots were not very sweet or new anymore... I will definitely start looking for a rear wheel hugger.
- The clutch closes above 4k rpm. So if you take off with a nice handful of throttle, all is fine, but when you stay below 4k rpm, maybe because of traffic or because you don't want to drive fast, is has a whole lot of slip. Do you know the brake feeling of a sintered brake pad on an oily disc? That's what if feels like... With the clutch shaking the scooter feels heavy and not accelerating like it should. This issue probably also adds to a not so positive mileage. My dealer will start a test next week with a prototype JCosta clutch, and that should fix this.

Pros:
- Heated grips and seat. Wow, how did I get through 24 years of motorcycle driving without these? Even better: they have a thermostat. When it's cold, the heated parts go warmer, the faster you drive. Sa-weet!
- The tyre pressure gauge in the dash. So essential, it should be mandatory.
- Handling. Sturdy, easy, no surprises. 'Regular' front forks instead of Lalalever really tells you what's going on at the front side.
- Great brakes, ABS works like it should.
- Great fit and finish. No condensation in the dash, for example...
- The under seat storage (it has a light, too). I use a large size Schuberth C3, and with the funny pull-down compartment, I'm able to store my helmet plus my wife's, while parked.
- Very easy to use. Everything is where it should. It has daylight running lights that really help with visibility, there's no funny two-sided indicator switches anymore, it has alarm blinkers, it's all there.

Remarks:
- The Pirelli tyres on the Sport are way better than the Metzelers on the GT when you want to corner faster than really slow. I drove them back to back and the difference is very noticeable.

Well, that's maybe even three cents. Hope it helps you deciding, should you be considering one of these...
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Sorry, I forgot some positives:

- Blinkers have an auto-off. Nice!
- The bike has three trip meters. Two are the usual suspects, with manual zeroing, but the third switches to zero every time the bike has been off for more than a few hours. So, it displays what you're driven today, every day.
- there's even a fourth trip meter, that automatically starts running when the fuel light comes on.
- Led headlights stay on for 30 seconds after switching the bike off, as follow-me-home illumination.
- The under seat trunk has led illumination too...
- The alarm system is spot on. No hassles, no malfunctions, great remote.

And some negatives:
- It's hard to fill the tank up completely. You have to go slow, but then you'll be able to tank half a gallon more.
- The tunnel is very vulnerable for scratching from your shoes / boots.

Time to go to work. Someone has to pay for this scoot!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Please update when you learn more about that clutch unit; that sounds interesting. Does it void the warranty?
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #22
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer View Post
Please update when you learn more about that clutch unit; that sounds interesting. Does it void the warranty?
My dealer is in talks with BMW Netherlands about this exact issue. I'll post a soon as there's news.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Has anyone else noticed? The folks who have never ridden a maxi before love it, best thing since sliced bread. The folks who have ridden Burgmans say "almost", "shoulda-coulda but not quite", not nearly as impressed as the crowd who are used to a clutch.

I'm not convinced it's better than a Burgman.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Well, with over 4k miles of everyday commuting on my 650GT I can say I am very well pleased. Yes, the transmission could be smoother pulling away from a stop under light throttle and it could be about 50lbs lighter. My other gripes are that it isn't available with BMW's excellent cruise control and there's no good place to install speakers for an amped mp3 system. This is my 31st bike so I think I have a well rounded perspective. My recent history includes a Ducati Hypermotard, Yamaha Roadliner, Yamaha Majesty, and a Dr650. This bike scratches 90% of my motorcycling itch. The last 10% will require me buying another Hypermotard to replace the one I sold.
I see the GT as 2/3 motorcycle ans 1/3 scooter. It isn't as light and flickable as the Majesty but I can comfortably cruise all day at 85-90mph (professional rider on a closed course), pull a 1k mile day, and feel fresh the next day. It's "Blueridge Parkway" capable on the twisties but not up to "Dragon's Tail" level. It's a great commuter bike everyday with plenty of storage. The value of heated grips and seats is obvious. It is actually more stable at very low speeds than the Majesty to the point I don't even put my feet down for short red lights. It was easy to control in the heavy sleet and 1 light snow this winter without breaking out the chains. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to catch up because I'd like to try a different windshield and maybe a seat. The stock seat is sightly smaller than my butt so I would like about an inch more on each side and some support up front so my nuts don't dangle over the edge.
I see this as a transitional bike in the long run. It feels enough like a motorcycle to make the the 'bikers' comfortable and scooter enough for the maxi-scooter guys to still enjoy it. As such It could prove to be the common ground that both camps will accept and respect. This is a feat that the Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha scoots haven't been able to accomplish regardless of how capable they are. Once that bridge is built hopefully the other maxi-scooters will get the respect they deserve.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Well, with over 4k miles of everyday commuting on my 650GT I can say I am very well pleased. Yes, the transmission could be smoother pulling away from a stop under light throttle and it could be about 50lbs lighter. My other gripes are that it isn't available with BMW's excellent cruise control and there's no good place to install speakers for an amped mp3 system. This is my 31st bike so I think I have a well rounded perspective. My recent history includes a Ducati Hypermotard, Yamaha Roadliner, Yamaha Majesty, and a Dr650. This bike scratches 90% of my motorcycling itch. The last 10% will require me buying another Hypermotard to replace the one I sold.
I see the GT as 2/3 motorcycle ans 1/3 scooter. It isn't as light and flickable as the Majesty but I can comfortably cruise all day at 85-90mph (professional rider on a closed course), pull a 1k mile day, and feel fresh the next day. It's "Blueridge Parkway" capable on the twisties but not up to "Dragon's Tail" level. It's a great commuter bike everyday with plenty of storage. The value of heated grips and seats is obvious. It is actually more stable at very low speeds than the Majesty to the point I don't even put my feet down for short red lights. It was easy to control in the heavy sleet and 1 light snow this winter without breaking out the chains. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to catch up because I'd like to try a different windshield and maybe a seat. The stock seat is sightly smaller than my butt so I would like about an inch more on each side and some support up front so my nuts don't dangle over the edge.
I see this as a transitional bike in the long run. It feels enough like a motorcycle to make the the 'bikers' comfortable and scooter enough for the maxi-scooter guys to still enjoy it. As such It could prove to be the common ground that both camps will accept and respect. This is a feat that the Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha scoots haven't been able to accomplish regardless of how capable they are. Once that bridge is built hopefully the other maxi-scooters will get the respect they deserve.
Impressive and very well stated.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Impressive and very well stated.
Plus one...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
That's a pretty good endorsement from a well rounded rider.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #28
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

The JCosta votes are in. My dealer mounted a kit on a GT (not mine) and here are their findings:

- The bike had a drive train resonance over 80 mph. That stayed, unfortunately.
- Pulling away from a stop (the range from 0 to 25 mph) didn't improve as much as expected. A bit better, but nothing to write home about.
- Most of the improvement is in the 25-70 mph range. Clutch closes sooner, has less slip. Bike feels snappier and more powerful.

About the warranty issue: said dealer keeps the warranty as it was, except for clutch related issues. They could be covered by JCosta, but that's guessing by me.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #29
wezul
Lick The Toad

Oddometer: 120
Have an RT, an FST and now my ET4 has a big brother (C650GT).
Took delivery in November and so far it's been a blast. Yes the CVT is an automatic transmission and everyone has their own idea as to when the clutch should grab but the shake is livable.
I'm 6'1" with a 31 or 32 inch inseam (depending on who is making the pants) and the seat height is not a problem for me after getting mounted.
The side stand when down locks up the bike (kill switch as well), good I guess when parking on incline but makes for interesting dancing when trying to get the bike on/off the center stand.
Unbelievably stable at slow speeds, must be all that weight and the super low CG.
I'm liking this scoot.
No one has mentioned the non-BMW engine. Now that's fascinating.
wezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #30
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Maybe worth mentioning: JCosta is not the only one with a custom clutch for the C600 / 650 GT. Polini and Malossi have cooked something up too.

http://www.polini.com/catalogo/en/ri...18&from=camamo

http://www.malossistore.us/en/models...M=MO%20BMWC600