ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #46
rcan08
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rcan08's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Decatur, Tn., and Brooksville, fl
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
The Suzuki Burgman cost $10,000, and they do not even offer heated grips or a heated seat. Many scooter riders use their scooters year round for daily transportation.

BMW also has their wondeful on the fly adjustable electric windshield.

Better suspension.

I currently have both a 650 Burgman and a 750 Slash 6. Either scooter would "blow it's doors off"

The exec. does come with heated seat and grips for 2014.
__________________
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again"
Government doesn't have anything they didn't take from you first.....remember?
rcan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #47
lcseds
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Middle of NC
Oddometer: 69
Partially correct. It is the 2013 Burgman Exec that is to be released very soon. It indeed has a heated seat and heated grips. Just not in the US. Nor is it even an option in the US. So from where *I* sit, BMW has the edge there. If you could get the Burgy with the heaters, you would be real close to the BMW in price point (2013 Burgman Exec 650 pricing is still TBA). Both have electric adjustable windshields. Only thing stopping me from the BMW is the rumored costs for the scheduled maintenance.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #48
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcan08 View Post
The exec. does come with heated seat and grips for 2014.

In Europe. Not even offered in the US, at least per the magazines, Burgman forum and the Suzuki rep at the Long Beach Moto Show.
__________________
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2005 Suzuki Burgman
2007 Dyna, 1947 45 flathead
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #49
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Both have electric adjustable windshields. Only thing stopping me from the BMW is the rumored costs for the scheduled maintenance.

Does the Burgy shield work the same as the BMW? Sort of eliptical?

Also, do you know if the scheduled maintenance is on the easy to do, or super complex?
__________________
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2005 Suzuki Burgman
2007 Dyna, 1947 45 flathead
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
Does the Burgy shield work the same as the BMW? Sort of eliptical?

Also, do you know if the scheduled maintenance is on the easy to do, or super complex?
The Burgman is a PIA to work on because of the tupperware but once it comes off, everything is accessible and nothing is called for beyond routine adjustments and replacement of fluids and filters. The major service intervals are every 15000 miles. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...MEk5Qay0hCnXUA
There is lots of information on the BUSA forum if you want to know more.

Regards
Scott Fraser
__________________
one 125 Vino
two 650 Burgman Execs
Vulcan 900 Classic LT, V-Star 1100 Silverado
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #51
BerndM
Shiftless One
 
BerndM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Near Disneyland, in SoCal.
Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
The Suzuki Burgman cost $10,000, and they do not even offer heated grips or a heated seat. Many scooter riders use their scooters year round for daily transportation.

BMW also has their wondeful on the fly adjustable electric windshield.

Better suspension.

I currently have both a 650 Burgman and a 750 Slash 6. Either scooter would "blow it's doors off"
I just brought home my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive and I really like the CVT tranny!
I looked at and actually test rode both the BMW C650's and after much careful consideration, I bought the Burgman.

The main reasons I picked the Burgman over the BMWs is this:

1) The Burgman's been around and has a decent track record. BMW has NO track record on the C650's and they are a FIRST YEAR beta bike.
Even the service manager at my local BMW dealer couldn't say how long the belt would last, but that replacing it was expensive. There are Burgman riders who have over 80000 miles on their belts.

2) The CVT on the BMW is 100% pure automatic. Fine if that floats your boat. On the Burgman you have the choice of selecting "D" for fully automatic, or if you are a bit more "hands on", then you can select "M" and now you can paddle shift to 6 preset "shift" ratios. NICE! Then there is the "Power" mode which raises the "shift" ratios up by several hundred RPM for more aggressive shifting and passing.

3) When it comes to looks, I felt the Burgman was a nicer looking bike. The BMW's were a bit too sharp edged for my likes.

The above were reason enough for me to pick the Burgman.

The suspension comparison between the 2 brands is moot. They both are relative crappy and harsh (compared to my 05 RT).
I would consider the ride to be a draw.

The windshield on both are also in serious need of aftermarket enhancement. I am 5' 9" and even with the electrically powered winshields of both brands in the fully up position, there is a lot of buffeting around the sides and back and the noise is very noticeable.

It WOULD be very nice if heated grips and seats were available on the Burgman, but...oh well. I do live in SoCal after all.

This is all IMHO and YMMV of course.

Regards
Bernd
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #52
gitder
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 11
Burgman over BMW? But dude, you're deutsch!
gitder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #53
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: South Lyon Michigan
Oddometer: 196
Wow that was nice, not

. Anyway I was at the BMW dealer getting quick disconnects for my 1150GS and they had the new BMW scooter, holy cow that thing is a behemouth. It really didnt do a thing for me to tell you the truth, I would never spend that kind of coin on that ugly monster, but to each his own...



Quote:
Originally Posted by gitder View Post
Burgman over BMW? But dude, you're deutsch!
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GREY.HOUND's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: central valley, california
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
Wow that was nice, not

. Anyway I was at the BMW dealer getting quick disconnects for my 1150GS and they had the new BMW scooter, holy cow that thing is a behemouth. It really didnt do a thing for me to tell you the truth, I would never spend that kind of coin on that ugly monster, but to each his own...
He didn't say he was a D-Bag; though that is what I originally thought it said.
__________________
'13 BMW C600
'09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #55
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HornHonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria BC
Oddometer: 191
It went right over my head. Anyhow....
__________________
2012 1600GT
2000 R1100R 2008 Burgman 650
Past Bikes Suz RG500, 250RGV, 500 Titan, 250 Hustler, Hon CBX, CB305 Super Hawk, Kaw z1, 500 triple, Yam 350LC, Twin Jet 100, RZ500.

HornHonker screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:55 AM
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
Motovista
Parts is Parts
 
Motovista's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 507
I just rode one of the 650s, and it is a phenomenal ride.
__________________
Discount OEM, replacement and performance parts for vespa, honda, bmw, yamaha, suzuki, genuine, kymco, piaggio, aprilia, SYM, tgb, tomos and other scooters at http://www.scooterpartsco.com
GT200, GT200, ET2, Italjet Velocifero, Italjet Torpedo, Eton Beamer 3, Genuine Buddy Pamplona 150, Kymco Vitality 50, Honda Elite 50
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #57
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis
 
Jaqen H'ghar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 199
I just got finished riding both the Burg and the 650 GT, very similar in power and style but I'm going with the GT, I like it's sharper looking form and the service at the local BMW dealer is outstanding, riding the GT was a blast, the Burg, not so much IMHO.
__________________
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" H.L. Mencken
_____________________________________________

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer
 
Rugby4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate SC (GSP area)
Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Well, with over 4k miles of everyday commuting on my 650GT I can say I am very well pleased. Yes, the transmission could be smoother pulling away from a stop under light throttle and it could be about 50lbs lighter. My other gripes are that it isn't available with BMW's excellent cruise control and there's no good place to install speakers for an amped mp3 system. This is my 31st bike so I think I have a well rounded perspective. My recent history includes a Ducati Hypermotard, Yamaha Roadliner, Yamaha Majesty, and a Dr650. This bike scratches 90% of my motorcycling itch. The last 10% will require me buying another Hypermotard to replace the one I sold.
I see the GT as 2/3 motorcycle ans 1/3 scooter. It isn't as light and flickable as the Majesty but I can comfortably cruise all day at 85-90mph (professional rider on a closed course), pull a 1k mile day, and feel fresh the next day. It's "Blueridge Parkway" capable on the twisties but not up to "Dragon's Tail" level. It's a great commuter bike everyday with plenty of storage. The value of heated grips and seats is obvious. It is actually more stable at very low speeds than the Majesty to the point I don't even put my feet down for short red lights. It was easy to control in the heavy sleet and 1 light snow this winter without breaking out the chains. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to catch up because I'd like to try a different windshield and maybe a seat. The stock seat is sightly smaller than my butt so I would like about an inch more on each side and some support up front so my nuts don't dangle over the edge.
I see this as a transitional bike in the long run. It feels enough like a motorcycle to make the the 'bikers' comfortable and scooter enough for the maxi-scooter guys to still enjoy it. As such It could prove to be the common ground that both camps will accept and respect. This is a feat that the Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha scoots haven't been able to accomplish regardless of how capable they are. Once that bridge is built hopefully the other maxi-scooters will get the respect they deserve.
OK,
I now have 6k miles on it and my initial impressions have been confirmed. I'm kind of embarrassed by the low miles so far but after a 400 mile day tomorrow, my spring semester will be over and I can start racking up the miles for the summer. I'm still waiting on someone to come out with a seat and a windshield. Oh, and an auxiliary fuel tank set up to extend the range. And thus the difference between the GT and my former scooter (Yamaha Majesty). The GT is a touring bike you step through instead of swing over where as the Majesty is a scooter that can dance the interstate shuffle without breaking a heel. Stability vs. agility, comfort vs. nimbleness, 1000 miles @ 80mph vs. an afternoon cruising back roads to nowhere. As I said before, 2/3 motorcycle and 1/3 scooter. Think of it as a K1600GT distilled to just what you need plus a few things you really want. I may be a small niche demographic but it fits my needs perfectly... aside from the mods mentioned above.
__________________
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #59
hrach1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hrach1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Redwood City, CA USA
Oddometer: 192
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
I just brought home my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive and I really like the CVT tranny!
I looked at and actually test rode both the BMW C650's and after much careful consideration, I bought the Burgman.

The main reasons I picked the Burgman over the BMWs is this:

1) The Burgman's been around and has a decent track record. BMW has NO track record on the C650's and they are a FIRST YEAR beta bike.
Even the service manager at my local BMW dealer couldn't say how long the belt would last, but that replacing it was expensive. There are Burgman riders who have over 80000 miles on their belts.

2) The CVT on the BMW is 100% pure automatic. Fine if that floats your boat. On the Burgman you have the choice of selecting "D" for fully automatic, or if you are a bit more "hands on", then you can select "M" and now you can paddle shift to 6 preset "shift" ratios. NICE! Then there is the "Power" mode which raises the "shift" ratios up by several hundred RPM for more aggressive shifting and passing.

3) When it comes to looks, I felt the Burgman was a nicer looking bike. The BMW's were a bit too sharp edged for my likes.

The above were reason enough for me to pick the Burgman.

The suspension comparison between the 2 brands is moot. They both are relative crappy and harsh (compared to my 05 RT).
I would consider the ride to be a draw.

The windshield on both are also in serious need of aftermarket enhancement. I am 5' 9" and even with the electrically powered winshields of both brands in the fully up position, there is a lot of buffeting around the sides and back and the noise is very noticeable.

It WOULD be very nice if heated grips and seats were available on the Burgman, but...oh well. I do live in SoCal after all.

This is all IMHO and YMMV of course.

Regards
Bernd
I have owned two Burgman 650 and IMO, C650GT is better in every way. Better handling, better suspension, better breaks, better transmission (BTW: C650GT has chain, not belt so don't worry about replacement any time soon).
Also, I have owned many BMW motorcycles, and my last bike was 12 R1200RT and C650GT handles better! In fact, it is the best handling bike I have ever owned and I have owned many many bikes!
One must own one of these to really appreciate it. A short test drive won't do.
By the way, are you sure you didn't buy the Burgman because of the price? :)
I know they give big discounts on the Burgman but none on the C650Gt.
hrach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #60
sinned OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sinned's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Kiwi in the middle kingdOOm aka China
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
Just a comment on BMW's name giving stupidity. Why call the Sport a 600 and the GT a 650, when both have exactly the same 650cc motor? They did the same with the F800GS. Calling the less equipped one a F650 and now F700. I sell BMW bikes and I'm SOO tired explaining that the F650/700 are 800cc twins. Why not call the top model a F800GS Adventure, and the less equipped one a F800GS? Everybody would know what it is.
Agree totally. The naming confusion gets difficult to explain even to other motorcycling buddies, one or two of whom are German and fond of BMWs. As you are likely aware the F800GS ADV now makes the naming suggestion somewhat more redundant. I guess if BMW had named the F650GS twin as the F700GS from the outset, it'd likely be less complicated when factoring in the G650GS single. Naturally though, the marketing dept should have foreseen this confusion from the outset and instead have decided on some other letter of the English alphabet, since using the letter F was one hell of a F-up
__________________
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014