User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
dino2000 OP
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
ATK 605 Owners?

I have had my ATK605 for a little more than a month and have put quite a few miles on it. This is by far the coolest thumper I have ever owned and was wondering what others had to say. I sold my DRZ 400e and replaced it w/ the ATK. It only weighs about 8lbs. more than the DRZ and is by far a better handling bike on and off-road. It isn't as snappy off the bottom as the DRZ but makes up for it in grunt and top end. I tried the LC4 out(Thanks nate) and found the ATK to be alot less "vibey" and alot lighter. It's also kinda cool having the only one in town.
Ciao, Dino
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
accadacca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
My Dad has an ATK 605. Well I think he just sold it. It has been in the garage for over a year. Since he got his 625 SXC. He really liked it! One of the main reasons that he sold it was the tank. I believe it is around 3 gallons. He wanted a bigger tank and no one has or sells them. I dont even think they make after market tanks for them. You cant find one that fits either beacause of the funky frame. We heard from the ATK guys that you can get close to an extra gallon with the hot water and compressed air trick. ATK's are made locally here in Utah. However I dont think they make the 605 anymore. Since they bought cannondale they have really been into those.

Solid bike though and you could probably get parts in several places for it. A KTM shop would have some and then other bikes have the rotax as well. I really liked the bike but it was worse than a KTM for aftermarket parts. I really liked that it was air cooled. It seemed to never get hot! I cant remember the exact amount but it has like an extra quart of oil in the frame. Cool! I also think it handles a little better than the KTM. It could be in part to the height?
accadacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
ALMONDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
i used to have an older atk 560, and i bet not many ktms would lose it. it was quick, nice torque,and light. my friend raced my duke with his 605 on the street and on topend i had him barely.
ALMONDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
ATK605 1997 Dual Sport Electric Start

Hey there,
I am in the process of resurrecting my ATK605 1997 Dual Sport Electric Start.
It has been sitting a bit since I bought the KTM 400exc; but cest levie.

I would like to ride a new KTM625SXC, which would be my upgrade choice, but the dealers aren't too keen to take on an ATK as a trade for fear of moving it, I guess.

The ATK is rock solid, and kept up (& in front of) with my mates KTM520 on enduro loops we used to ride. I bought the ATK in 1998 because at the time, there was nothing else like it and it ticked off all the boxes I wanted at the time in a trailbike. I wanted something that still had the go-fast bits (WP suspension), plus electric start that didn't weigh a tonne. I read a review in an Australian Magazine (Sidetrack) which basically said that it was a good trailbike.
I am very happy with it. The frame IS funky (no denying that), and with hindsight, the frame means that the fuel tank options issue is a problem for longer-distance trailriding. It also looks out-of-whack from the front as well.

Still, I recall reading on the ATK forum that I can expect about 120miles (190kms) from a tank of fuel - not too shabby from a 600cc carbied dirtbike, and realistically all I'll need for my day trips. I think with a larger tank on the KTM400, it will still give the same range as the Std ATK
There are some quirks with the bike; I had an exhaust crack at the welded mount - a known problem apparantly. I have ordered a new exhaust.
I also had a brake line getting chewed due to a missing retaining loop.
BTW the guys at ATK in their spares division have been excellent with assisting me in my enquiries plsu shipping to Australia.
Not much breaks on them, plus they use Acerbis/KTM plastics. The engines are renowned for getting 50,000kms between rebuilds. The 3L oil sump is also of help here in Australia.
The only gripe I have is the rock-hard seat + airfilter access.
The battery seems to drain fairly quickly if the bike is not used every two-three weeks, which occurred when I got the shiny new KTM400..
Once I get the new new exhaust on the bike, and spruce it up a bit with some new plastics, it will rekindle my trail-exploring desires. I was running my Garmin etrex Venture on the handlebars with success, and also used a Sigma BC800 bicycle speedo (posted elsewhere) when the ATK speedometer unit died.
They are a surprisingly easy bike to ride in the tight single trail, and the longer straights gives it a chance to rev it's head off. You can basically start the bike in third gear and run it all day (in the bush); the motor is that flexible.
After doing some research I read that the US dirt-trackers get 90hp out of these engines, so they sound like they're under-stressed units. They are awesome hill climbing bikes - I have rolled on the throttle thinking I'm going to stall the bike and it simply motors up the hill without any clutch. (My mate's 520 smioked his clutch, not to mention boiling his radiator)
I guess these bikes will eventually become collector's pieces. The single-sided asymetrical frame is something to behold and gets all sorts of stares from my mates.
The gearshifting isn't as smooth as an XR650R, but then again, then engine is about 20 years older.
I once rode with a guy on an Automatic Husqvarna two-stroke (430cc I thnk) and he had just as much fun as I did on my KTM400.
To me, it's about getting out there and riding and living.

Cheers,
Dave
TT250R
KDX200
RMX250
XR350RG
Ducati 900SS
KTM250exc
XR400R
ATK605DS
KTM400exc
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
I'm glad this thread got started. I was going to start one to ask about ATK. I remember when they came out, I was reading the mags about them and was real impressed with the high end suspension and Rotax engines.

I love that Rotax engine, it's a shame they aren't made anymore (are they?)

Here's a company that offers the closest thing to a new ATK than anyone:

http://www.americandirtbike.com/

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
There's a few ATK owners on Advrider...

Greg Cifu, myself and a few others...all seem to be truly impressed with our ATK's- there is a movement over on the ATK board to have a new tank made for the 605 w/ a least a 5 gal capacity- thier aiming for the $200 range and are looking for more ATK owners who'd be interested paticipating check it out at www.atkusa.com and go to forums.

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
Greg Cifu, myself and a few others...all seem to be truly impressed with our ATK's- there is a movement over on the ATK board to have a new tank made for the 605 w/ a least a 5 gal capacity- thier aiming for the $200 range and are looking for more ATK owners who'd be interested paticipating check it out at www.atkusa.com and go to forums.
I saw that... One of the nice things about the CCM I'm looking at too is that it already HAS a 5-gal tank with it.

One of the nice things about getting an ATK would be that you can converse directly with the guy that made the bike in the first place! Always a good thing.

M
Old 11-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
Ignore Amos

Hey Mike!

You need to come over Tucson a day or two before the next Hash...you can ride one of my scooters (ATK 605/KTM 620) I just picked up a 97 620 Adventure pretty cheap...runs like a champ..actually shocked how well it runs and just love that 8 gals of fuel! There's and 03 640 Adv in Phx cycle trader- think they're asking $5k good luck!

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 11-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
You need to come over Tucson a day or two before the next Hash...you can ride one of my scooters (ATK 605/KTM 620) I just picked up a 97 620 Adventure pretty cheap...runs like a champ..actually shocked how well it runs and just love that 8 gals of fuel! There's and 03 640 Adv in Phx cycle trader- think they're asking $5k good luck!
You're on! I'd LOVE to go cruise the desert (albeit slowly! 'cause I'm a n00b...)

I'm not sure when the next time I'm gettin yer way is tho we missed Hash de Tucson cause it was over Halloween.

M
Old 11-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Ignore Amos

Just let me know....

another thought ( Iknow, scary two thoughts in one day.whew...) How about a KLR? prices are right, plentiful parts- not too fast and you can get that big tank you'd need and probably cheap....plus you'd fit in with all nutcases (you hearing me CAStu?)

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 11-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
another thought ( Iknow, scary two thoughts in one day.whew...) How about a KLR? prices are right, plentiful parts- not too fast and you can get that big tank you'd need and probably cheap....plus you'd fit in with all nutcases (you hearing me CAStu?)
Bite yer tongue! If I'm gonna ride a Thumper, its gonna be something with ballz. I ride in SoCal, land of 'the speed limit STARTS at 75mph!' traffic. If not an ATK/CCM/640 I'm cogitating on finding a BRP with/make mods. Optimally, I want a dirt bike that will do roads, not the other way around.

M
Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,997
atk is a 5speed, right?

what sprocks are you running, dino?
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #13
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
Thumb Long Range ATK Tank

Well, if we all get together, to get them made, I'll buy one and ship it to Australia for my bike.

Would make a great (longer distance) adventure mount

I'll post my interest on the ATK forum.

Cheers,
Dave
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
5 gal would be good, I found a used 1 gal aux like Greg has, going to put it up front.
I'd go for the 5 gal .

very high end components.
I bought some exaust gaskets from a SL100 honda, hollow copper crush gaskets, might help with the sometimes head pipe leaks
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,315
Dang, half of you guys change your names on the forums. Are there only five of us that have an ATK and know how to use the Internet?

Could you guys just stop posting about CCM and American Dirtbike? I have absolutely no more room in the garage. I've found myself contemplating the CCM on Craig's list in Sandy-Eggo this morning.

If anybody is counting ATK riders, put me down for two: my 97 and my buddie's 97 that he 'dumped' on me when he upgraded to a 525.