Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
In Europe there are two sources to cure the hickup and flat spots below 4500 rpm: One from the German company ABP Racing (http://www.abp-racing.de/ktm-690-kits/) for about 400 $, but you have to send them both ECUs. The second is from an Austrian and can only be ordered via the forum http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/69...c-r/?82b03a1eu They add a K&N RU-1750 air filter, remove the airbox and replace it with an alloy-sheet just blocking the engine´s hot air from the intake. And usually they run open pipes (Remus and Akra preferred). Fuel-metering is made by the "Kastl" (box) that overrules the stock ECU.

Unfortunately both sources are German speaking, but in the second link you can find lots of dyno-curves speaking for themselves. My younger brother equipped his SMC 690 with a "Kastl" 1,5 years ago. Now a friend has the new SMC 690 R all stock (with 36 ccm more), but my brother´s bike has more muscles AND the better manners. Nobrainer in my opinion.

el capitan screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:03 AM
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 275
MrHix: You said I believe, that you have a 2012 690 with a Wings exhaust. I've read of guys installing those and NOT remapping. I want a Wings on mine primarily for weight and exhaust can temperature reduction reasons. I don't want to screw up my fueling which seems to be spot on. Can you tell me what you did to remap if anything and how it runs as a result of your swap to the Wings?

Thanks!

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
MrHix: You said I believe, that you have a 2012 690 with a Wings exhaust. I've read of guys installing those and NOT remapping. I want a Wings on mine primarily for weight and exhaust can temperature reduction reasons. I don't want to screw up my fueling which seems to be spot on. Can you tell me what you did to remap if anything and how it runs as a result of your swap to the Wings?

Thanks!

Lee...
I installed a Wings can & RR foam Filter on My 2012 with no remap & it ran fine. No stalling or bad habbits. Then remapped to Akra Maps, still running fine with no issues whatsoever.
Creedy.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064

2010 690 enduro r
2300 miles

Canistorectomy
Leo vince exhaust

Vortex ecu
Throttle is perfect and crisp
No flameout issues at all
40-50 mpg depending on what map im running
My only complaint is im to short so selling to get a 350 exc
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 275
Creedy/HonkyCat: Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Creedy: I've done a bit of riding in your world, more down around Melbourne and the GOR and especially on Tazmania (some really great riding, IMO). Thanks for the help.

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post

Thanks!

Lee...
I put the Wings on with the small spark arrestor tip and am running the stock air filter. Stock MAPs. It runs great and only stalls when I forget that I don't have an auto clutch like my old 320 KTM (i.e., when I stop without pulling in the clutch lever).

I am going to give Rekluse a call today and plead for a 690 EXP!!!

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,300
1. What tuning experience did you have when you got your 690 (novice, a fair amount on my own bikes, pro tuner, Kevin Cameron asks me for advice)?
- None, and still have none, NovaMoto uploaded the new tune for me.

2. Which model 690 do you have (Enduro, R, SMC, Duke, etc)?
-2012 Enduro R

3. What year is it?

4. Did you have any throttle response or performance problems when the bike was STOCK?
- Stalled and backfired when hot. Blew the coupler from the airbox to the the throttle body off and pushed it back to into the APS sensor, cracking the outer case. Warranty replacement.

5. What fuel mileage did you get with the STOCK intake and exhaust?
- Not entirely sure about 220km until reserve light came on.

6. What INTAKE changes have you made (filter, airbox) and did they cause any throttle response or performance problems?
- Unifilter

7. What EXHAUST changes have you made (header, silencer or both; which brand and model pipe, and what alterations to it) and did they cause any throttle or performance problems?
- FMF Q4, pipe only. Hard to say if the pipe resulted in better throttle response given the tune I uploaded. My bike had good response in stock form. I replaced the can to eliminate the heat in the stock pipe.

8. What OTHER engine changes have you made (cam, piston, disabled emissions, turbo, etc) and how did they affect the throttle response and performance?
- I think my O2 sensor is off now with the current tune.

9. What tuning steps gave the best results for the changes you made (stock maps, downloaded maps, advanced ECU tuning, total ECU tuning, aftermarket ECU, disabled emissions stuff, going back to stock intake or exhaust, switching to a carburetor, etc)?
- Uploaded a 2012 tune for bikes with akro pipe.

10. What improved most from your tuning (throttle response, performance, mileage)?
- No more stalling, throttle response is better and smoother. No noticable change to mileage. Bike performs better although there remains a flat spot in the 4500rpm range.

11. How did you verify improvements in performance (sounded faster, felt faster, wheelies in higher gear, faster compared to another bike, faster at drag strip, more power on dyno)?
- Seat of the pants feels better.

12. What mileage do you get after the mods and tuning?
- no change

13. How satisfied are you with the results of your tuning (sold the bike, still working on it, living with it being so-so, pretty darn good, it's perfect)?
- Way better than the stock tune I had but still room for tweaking. Happy to run the bike as it is and I don't really notice any short comings but based on riding NovaMoto's bike I know it can be made better.

14. If you had to start over, would you do things differently?
- Nope.

Hopefully NovaMoto will weigh in shortly he has played with the tunes pretty extensively. His set up is about the same as mine although he has a 2011 model. Based on making small incremental adjustments he has been able to come up with an amazing tune for his preferences. The difference between our bikes it quite noticeable. Nothing out of pocket for dyno runs, engine mods etc, just a PC, cable and patience and developing a working knowledge of how the bike will perform based on the paramaters you've input, that and ride the shit out of it after each adjustment

CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
1. What tuning experience did you have when you got your 690 (novice, a fair amount on my own bikes, pro tuner, Kevin Cameron asks me for advice)?
- Mild tuning experience

2. Which model 690 do you have (Enduro, R, SMC, Duke, etc)?
- Enduro R

3. What year is it?

4. Did you have any throttle response or performance problems when the bike was STOCK?
- No stalls, great throttle response, no backfires

5. What fuel mileage did you get with the STOCK intake and exhaust?
- average of 50mpg for dualsporting

6. What INTAKE changes have you made (filter, airbox) and did they cause any throttle response or performance problems?
- NONE

7. What EXHAUST changes have you made (header, silencer or both; which brand and model pipe, and what alterations to it) and did they cause any throttle or performance problems?
- NONE

8. What OTHER engine changes have you made (cam, piston, disabled emissions, turbo, etc) and how did they affect the throttle response and performance?
- NONE

9. What tuning steps gave the best results for the changes you made (stock maps, downloaded maps, advanced ECU tuning, total ECU tuning, aftermarket ECU, disabled emissions stuff, going back to stock intake or exhaust, switching to a carburetor, etc)?
- Non applicable

10. What improved most from your tuning (throttle response, performance, mileage)?
- Non applicable

11. How did you verify improvements in performance (sounded faster, felt faster, wheelies in higher gear, faster compared to another bike, faster at drag strip, more power on dyno)?
- Non applicable

12. What mileage do you get after the mods and tuning?
- no mods, no change

13. How satisfied are you with the results of your tuning (sold the bike, still working on it, living with it being so-so, pretty darn good, it's perfect)?
- Very satisfied with the stock performance of my bike. Have done 1,500 miles on the odometer so far.

14. If you had to start over, would you do things differently?
- No, bike runs great from the factory, May change to a Wings Exhaust in the future to eliminate the heavy/hot factory exhaust.
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote