Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
If I recall correctly, other people have reported that it makes the bike run like crap in other RPM ranges beyond the idle-mid range... I have no direct experience with the 990 with a disabled clutch switch so I do not know for sure.... my soon to be running EFI 950 will allow me to directly experience/experiment
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 403
So far so goog

Well I ran it to the redline on the highway on the way home this afternoon, seemed smooth right the way up. Will keep you posted how it goes over the next few days.

Thanks again for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
If I recall correctly, other people have reported that it makes the bike run like crap in other RPM ranges beyond the idle-mid range... I have no direct experience with the 990 with a disabled clutch switch so I do not know for sure.... my soon to be running EFI 950 will allow me to directly experience/experiment
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Martynho
ChileGringo

Spoke too soon..

It ran fine for a day then started playing up worse than ever. Unstable idle anywhere from normal for a few hours, then 2000 and occasionally up to 5000 rpm.

Another inmate has suggested I may have a dicky TPS unit. I have checked the values with tuneECU and it is within range, but I have noticed that at idle (when it is behaving normally, which is usually does on the the stand, only goes AWOL on the move) the 0% opening value fluctuates between 0.64v and 0.65v...maybe it is sending out an intermittent signal and screwing up the ECU?

I have located the spare TPS units in the USA as they are not available here in Chile. Hope I can get them here and fitted before I leave for the Dakar on the 14th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Well I ran it to the redline on the highway on the way home this afternoon, seemed smooth right the way up. Will keep you posted how it goes over the next few days.

Thanks again for your input
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #19
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
with the switch shorted you'll be in clutch map, no good for power etc. only way to remove it is to leave it open and disable some other switches and stuff meaning you can start the bike alway's (also when in gear, no clutch).

tps is tricky, but a diffrence of 0.01 volt is very normal at 0 throtle. all but some multimeters have bigger margins than that.
Make sure the reading is OK on full throtle.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
Martynho
ChileGringo

How?

When it is behaving it runs fine through the rev range, apart from the usual glitchyness typical of a 2007 map.

I will order a new clutch switch and reinstall to eliminate this potential variable.

Still unhappy about all this. Frustrating the hell out of me and my KTM shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
with the switch shorted you'll be in clutch map, no good for power etc. only way to remove it is to leave it open and disable some other switches and stuff meaning you can start the bike alway's (also when in gear, no clutch).

tps is tricky, but a diffrence of 0.01 volt is very normal at 0 throtle. all but some multimeters have bigger margins than that.
Make sure the reading is OK on full throtle.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
with the switch disconnected only and you still have problems, it's not that (i cant imagine it is btw.)
I'd blame a temp, map or sap sensor if the tps is 100% proved ok.