Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #46
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,670
yes neat trip . The c3 fits me is the real reason it's under consideration. With a helix gas everyday would run 12 buck or so. with a c3 it'll run around 8 buck max. So every 2 days you end saving the cost of another days gas with a c3 or any 50cc scooter. Theres this guy whom used a ruckus to do 15000 miles or so. Can't find the first part of the thread. only part 2 : http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...6406&start=135
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #47
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I drive a Big Ruckus and a Tmax and love both of them , one of these days I may add a 650 burg exex but I won't sell the BR or the Tmax . I'll let my son worry about selling my bikes when I'm dead and gone , in the mean time I ride them .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,001
I just picked up an 88 Riva 200 in great shape with 9k on it, couple of minor scuffs and dried and cracked fr tire, probably original. I've always been partial to the Elites, have a couple, and didn't realize until I started dissassembling the Yamaha to do some servicing that it is aircooled. Neat.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Self concious?

Remember, real men ride anything they want! Guys who try to put you down are usually idiots or new riders who bought a V twin or crotch rocket because all their buddies have one,and don't know any better. Experienced riders realize that there are many good rides and will be interested in your scooter. Harley riders are usually friendly, BMW riders seem to be the most stuck up riders I have encountered,although not all of them. Like gang members they aren't bad if you get them alone.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #50
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Wow these kids are awesome! This is so funny, I just got done reading a review of the vstrom and they mention how the power is just sufficient for one rider and woefully underpowered for two. Now I'm remembering my wife and I loaded for camping driving up the steep grades to Asheville at 90mph on the highway. How did we get to a place in our mainstream motorcycle culture where we think a 650cc bike is barely adequate. Jeeze I think sometimes we need to look out side of our own culture and look at what the rest of the world is riding. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but when you see kids like this taking a trip two up, then you read that 60hp is marginal it just makes your head spin.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #51
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I presently ride a Gold Wing, but at age 70, anticipate a switch to a Maxi Scooter within a year or two, probably a Honda Integra (if they ever arrive here in the U.S.), a Burgman Executive or BMW.

I have zero issues in switching to a scooter, since i developed my love of two wheels on a Cushman scooter at age 14. Any buddies giving me any flack will be told, "you couldn't handle a scooter".

My pillion buddy, Pugsley, rides with me 100% of the time, so my future scooter must fit his needs, seat comfort, size, etc. Also, being a strong believer in ABS brakes, they are a must! We have logged over 40,000 miles on bikes since he has owned me. I never leave home without him. Hey, he treats me better, and is more appreciative than any of my former female companions.

Ride safe, my friends.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #52
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post

My pillion buddy, Pugsley, rides with me 100% of the time, so my future scooter must fit his needs, seat comfort, size, etc. Also, being a strong believer in ABS brakes, they are a must! We have logged over 40,000 miles on bikes since he has owned me. I never leave home without him. Hey, he treats me better, and is more appreciative than any of my former female companions.

Ride safe, my friends.
The friendship of a dog is the purest form of it available. They always kiss on the first date, and never stop! Dogs love scooters so Pugsley is ready when you are.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #53
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

I already told my Mrs. that if anything happens to her, I'm picking out my next wife at the BMW dealer. Probably a pretty blue, slim c600. Doesn't complain, likes doing what I like doing. Doesn't wander when we go shopping. Likes my garage just the way it is. And is easily turned on with the push of a button...
go.duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #54
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by go.duesouth View Post
I already told my Mrs. that if anything happens to her, I'm picking out my next wife at the BMW dealer. Probably a pretty blue, slim c600. Doesn't complain, likes doing what I like doing. Doesn't wander when we go shopping. Likes my garage just the way it is. And is easily turned on with the push of a button...
Hey, that makes perfect sense to me!! Motorcycles/scooters have many advantages over women, since they don't care if someone else rides them, don't hen peck, shop, etc, etc.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #55
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
I currently have a Burgy 650 and love it. Plan to order the new Beemer C650GT as soon as the low seat option is available.

I have looked carefully at the new 2013 Burgy, but by the time I add the heated grips, heated seat, and tire pressure sensors, all of which I want, it is more expensive the the Beemer. Plus the Beamer has a three year warranty.
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #56
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Hey, that makes perfect sense to me!! Motorcycles/scooters have many advantages over women, since they don't care if someone else rides them, don't hen peck, shop, etc, etc.
And you haven't even mentioned replacement cost
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #57
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I still don't feel totally cool on a scooter. I know it is stupid but I do get a little self conscious about riding a scooter even though something like a Burgman is perfect for the type of riding I do.
One of the biggest problems I've seen in this State is that a lot of people think anything that looks like a scooter is a moped, and there is a stigma attached to anyone older than 16 riding one outside of a University town. I think that's why, even with the great 12 month riding weather we have, there isn't a large scooter culture in Charleston, like you see in a lot of other cities.

Moped Medic
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #58
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Wow these kids are awesome! This is so funny, I just got done reading a review of the vstrom and they mention how the power is just sufficient for one rider and woefully underpowered for two. Now I'm remembering my wife and I loaded for camping driving up the steep grades to Asheville at 90mph on the highway. How did we get to a place in our mainstream motorcycle culture where we think a 650cc bike is barely adequate.
I believe Agostini's World Championship-winning 500MV in the 1960's had about 90BHP.

The only conclusion I can come to is that folks are so used to automatic transmissions in automobiles, that they prefer not to change gear on a m/c. I suppose that if you have 160BHP at your disposal at the twist of the throttle, you can stay in top gear all day.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #59
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
I'm happy with my Morphous, just want something a little bigger for longer trips. Burg 400 seems to be the bike of choice. I.m 6'7" and for some reason seems to fit better than the 650. If I had the know how I'd do the 400 engine swap to the Morp.
It would be cheaper and less grief to keep the Morphous for around town and just buy a 400 for highway use . Just keep your eyes open for a deal on a nice used 400 .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #60
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Vespa Super GTS 300 or if they make one with a 350 in the future i want a strong performance scoot in a small body for a blend of pace and looks.

Kennon
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote