User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
A NZ Taggin Tale

We have quite a active tag game here in Wellington.Its not ussually a far ranging game but at one point it was absolutely mental.I think at one time we had a tag claimed in 5 minutes ,15 or so tags in one weekend,and not unusual for tags to be claimed reclaimed and claimed again overnight!
This has it downsides too .The pressure to claim a tag and get back home to post , meant that the new tag was often on a direct path from tag to home,and as soon as you had claimed a tag there was pressure to post a new one.It has become customary to have some file pics to post up a new tag without delay.This also means the new tag is not always on the direct path home from the old tag.(nowadays of course the smartphone has changed that(but not for me yet))
Any ways enough about that this is gonne be a pictorial of my clam of tag no 2107 in Wellington Tag O Rama

The route

http://goo.gl/maps/hbAAj

for reasons beyond my comprehension i cant seem to embed a google map that actually shows the route

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:40 PM
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

part 1

Left Home about 10 gave the local Z (shell) petrol station attendant something to think about.Had gone onto reserve on a previous trip on the way Home,so needed to stop to fill up.The ol GSPD took 32 litres at a cost of NZ$68.00
When i fill the od girl up the reaction is always the same.The attendant looks at me,turns to look at the bike out at the pump,gets a confused look,looks at the readout again.....Finally he says,What id the capacity of your bike sir.35l i say.
Another confused look and finally the transaction is done.

I dint take any pics on the way out,but here is the tag pic i was going for

, on Flickr

and here is my grab pic

, on Flickr

i think the tide was in,in the tag pic and definetly out in my pic

The tag was at Onoke Spit a DOC (Department of Conservation) reserve

, on Flickr

if you turn your head to the left a little you look across Lake Onoke to the small settlement of Lake Ferry

, on Flickr

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:21 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

We had been warned that the tag was down a gravel road but it was of no consequence

, on Flickr

the turnoff from the Western lake Road showed no signage for the DOC reserve,the road on the right continues onto Ocean Beach, a more adventurous adv ride

, on Flickr
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

So now I am on the way home and i try for the first time some pics whilst riding along

, on Flickr

This is a Rural road and its a dead end,ending at Ocean Beach so there isnt much traffic,its a narrow road(note the lack of centre line)

Like most rural areas there are various buildings in various stages of disrepair

,on Flickr

Thats a Hay Bale on the roof i think it's function is to hold the roof down against the wind(NZ is a windy(in both senses of the word) lil place
In the background of the pic you can see the mountains of the Tararua range enveloped in cloud.Its Summer here quite warm and humid to day,the weather is going to get worse as we wait for the arrival of cyclone Evan but we will prolly get the very last efforts of Evan
Oh yeah thats a sheep.We have a few of them

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:48 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am riding along the edge of Lake Wairarapa and am in the foothills of the Rimutaka Range

, on Flickr

to my right is the Wairarapa Plains and Lake Wairarapa and some cattle(also a common sight in NZ)

, on Flickr

I think Lake Wairarapa is a man made lake mainly for irrigation purposes.Its very shallow and quite polluted by the run off from all the farms.There is a control gate at the southern end.The control gate structure has been a tag in our game too

19 nov 2010

our landscapes are a little different to our western neighbour

, on Flickr

You dont travel far in this rural landscape with out coming across stock yards.In the past each farm would have their own yards

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 09:41 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another feature of rural back roads in new Zealand is one lane bridges,theoretically i have right of way but as you can see sight lines restricted so speeds are best kept under control

Every Rural community also has their churches,often in immaculate condition presumably kept so by local parishoners

we share the rads with cyclists too

As we travel north we are reminded that the landscape has been developed form rainforest

and of course we all like a few curves

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 09:55 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

more one lane bridges
]

more curves

Dairy farming is becoming ever more popular all over NZ

and it can seem quite intensive

The cows live outside all year round grass is their main fodder,but you can see they have some kins of supplement or extra feed here(on the trailer)

The rural maibox is am interesting thing,a flag for the dairy tankers picking up the milk,a mailbox and a little shed for the bobby calves(young males) to be picked up and taken to the works.Male calves arent much use on a dairy farm

While some play other work,this fella was getting soaked adjusting or fixing an irrigator head

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 10:11 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

There are still plenty of sheep here but no where near the numbers we had

and other ways are changing,i came across what seemed to be a communal stock yard arrangement for cattle i would say and unussually a lot of it is in steel rather than timber

normal timber yards for sheep i would guess

self portrait,it was quite warm at this point

more soon

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 10:20 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looking backwards towards the Rimutakas again some farm builings nestled in against the hills and can see the new hay baled up too

a shearing shed shows what the areas main farming product was

looking back at the shed

this was a big irrigator using the resevoir to irrigate some kind of crop ,though it could be just grass

there were literally only a few vehicles going the other way

all those cows have to cross the road sometimes

trains crossing

which quite neatly leads us into the cross creek rimutaka railway incline

There are stories that there was one corner on the railway(they called it Siberia) the winds were so strong the trains were blown off the tracks!

the old railway is now walking and mountain bike trail.

a few seconds earlier i i could have been a hood ornament on this Land Rover,he was too fast for the corner and came way over the centre line

and all too soon i am back at the base of the Rimutakas,no pics from then on.You can see the road winding up in the hills beyond.Its continuous double yellow no passing lines now,and the powers that be have removed at least half of the passing lanes...Lots of traffic to day too and no one charitable enough to let a bike past,so a somewhat tedious ride over.

Thanks for looking.

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 12:13 AM
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Oaters
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Thumb excellent RR

great photos and prose advNZer - thanks for posting - onya!
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

a postscript

as i approached home it was to find tha a sea fog was rolling in ,quite a thick one,It seems a couple of ships were awaiting departure and Wellington Airport is closed..THis could be a bit of a headache for us.Daughter is trying to fly in from Aussie and the family are going to gather here on xmas day for my mums 90th birthday