DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
what wobble?

seriously, they don't all do that.

What tires you using BB?
I had 4000 wobble free miles till I put on this TKC and now when you hit 75 it's like having rodeo sex.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1502
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
What tires you using BB?
I had 4000 wobble free miles till I put on this TKC and now when you hit 75 it's like having rodeo sex.
The stock Metzeler Saharas....and though I am a stickler for chain alignment when I clean/adjust - I haven't done doodly to set up the suspension on this bike aside from take a bit of preload harshness off the shock.

I'm a fiddler when things aren't ideal....but this bike has required very little hands on out of the box.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1503
Amigo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
It has to be the front tire!

Mine was smooth as silk with the stock Saharas, too. I just put on a set of new TKC and man, oh man, at about 70 mph she starts to wiggle, by 75 mph, hold on because she's wobbling back and forth so bad it's scary. I've never seen anything like it. I have run the TKCs on my airhead GS and both my GSAs and never a problem. Of course the are completely different types of bikes and tire sizes. It has to be the front tire! I don't ride fast much, but I think I'll do something different on the front. I would like to stay with a knobby, any suggestions ? I'm going to leave the TKC on the rear.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1504
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
I still have the original tires If you want them. $100+ shipping.

If not I'm probably going to use them to for my next trip.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 06:41 PM
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1505
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Weave

I am thinking it has something to do with the alignment of the planets.
I have now over 8k miles on my Strada...new rear tire..(touarence exp) the front still looks ok...my bike will weave...or not ..I can't get a handle on it. I thought I had narrowed it down to TT hand guards. Removed them and for awhile it was good....but back come the weave....there in a box in the garage floor...so not them. Got several other items hanging on the bike. (adv. model 60s..gps..windshield..)

May take it all off and add 1 item at a time just to see. It's not the grip I'm using...heck I can let go of the bars & she still weaves...air pressure has been fiddled with too...I've messed some with the preload although this bike is pretty stiff for my 190lbs...I run it a couple clicks from softest and it's still pretty firm.

Aero shedding was mentioned by a fellow over on cafe Husky...seemed reasonable. It may have as much to do with other vehicles around the bike although mine has a weave by its lonesome sometimes.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #1506
Amigo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
RE, thanks for the offer, but I still have the original tires as well. I will just put the front back on and see if the wobbles are gone.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #1507
GabeJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Weave on Strada

I have a Strada with the stock EXP's, no handguards, oem windshield and it wobbles quite a bit from 68 mph and up. Would love to hear a solution has been discovered. My bike is a commuter and does 60 miles per day on the freeway. I shouldn't have to ride to work in terror :O.
GabeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #1508
Hafte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
here's my stupid ??

I know its here someplace, but I can't find it again and the index is not taking me there nor the searches.

What is the part number for the air filter or the link to the thread number? And is it a common part I can get at the local AutoZone?
Found one here http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...6-N-Air-Filter for a G650GS is it the same one for $50.99!!!!!!

Oh, I finally got the bike back last Thursday and went for a 950 mile ride last weekend. Lots of dust and mud. A good time was had by all...well me anyway. The rest of the crew was less appreciative of the mess.

Hafte screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 02:48 PM
Hafte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1509
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The stock Metzeler Saharas....and though I am a stickler for chain alignment when I clean/adjust - I haven't done doodly to set up the suspension on this bike aside from take a bit of preload harshness off the shock.

I'm a fiddler when things aren't ideal....but this bike has required very little hands on out of the box.
I spotted what i believed to be you and the terra on I-25 Frontage road around loveland this past weekend
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #1510
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
I spotted what i believed to be you and the terra on I-25 Frontage road around loveland this past weekend
Wasn't me....I didn't venture that far on either bike.
I tinkered on both (burped the TR, did oil/filter on the VFR12 and final drive).
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #1511
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I am thinking it has something to do with the alignment of the planets.
I have now over 8k miles on my Strada...new rear tire..(touarence exp) the front still looks ok...my bike will weave...or not ..I can't get a handle on it. I thought I had narrowed it down to TT hand guards. Removed them and for awhile it was good....but back come the weave....there in a box in the garage floor...so not them. Got several other items hanging on the bike. (adv. model 60s..gps..windshield..)

May take it all off and add 1 item at a time just to see. It's not the grip I'm using...heck I can let go of the bars & she still weaves...air pressure has been fiddled with too...I've messed some with the preload although this bike is pretty stiff for my 190lbs...I run it a couple clicks from softest and it's still pretty firm.

Aero shedding was mentioned by a fellow over on cafe Husky...seemed reasonable. It may have as much to do with other vehicles around the bike although mine has a weave by its lonesome sometimes.
Yes, the planetary alignment can cause the wobble. The gyroscopic effect of the front and rear must be aligned and tuned per each tire and wheel combination. The rear being smaller than the front, at the magic number of 70 mph, the rotational gravity creates an assymetrical gyroscopic imbalance and wishes to send you to the moon.

To offset this, you can shim your wheel one way or the other and then adjust accordingly to align the sprockets.

To test is easy. Drive on the beach, and go back an look at how bad you are dogtracking.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1512
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
I was on the I-25 frontage road this past weekend on my TR, but it was quite a bit farther south than Loveland, having been around Longmont.
hasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #1513
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
It seems to me that this weave/wobble occurs after people change the tires. Specifically the front, right?

When I put the Pirelli Scorpions on, the front of bike was all over the road. I adjusted the air pressure up and down, and it seemed that the lower the PSI it was a tad mroe stable, but the bike still handled like Michael J. Fox was at the helm.

I dealt with it, and rode the piss out of it, and after about 1000 miles, the wobble went away.

Gone.

Apparently the tire wore down to a happy point that allowed the bike to track straight.

Anyone else noticed this?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 03:19 PM
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #1514
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Weave

I am still on the original front tire. I do think it weaves less without max pressure. I am considering voodoo as a cure at this point.

trapperj screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 03:40 PM
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #1515
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Apparently the tire wore down to a happy point that allowed the bike to track straight.

Anyone else noticed this?
I've had that happen with the Scorpian front on a KTM 990 Adventure. Got to be the tire. On the 990, it settled down before 1000 miles. More like 500 or 600.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote