Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #151
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Owners should not have to be creating workarounds or buy third party accessories to replace failed components that are poorly engineered on bikes that are less than two months old.
Unless these bikes have obvious signs of misuse that is not apparent in the photos this should be a straight out warranty issue.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #152
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Owners should not have to be creating workarounds or buy third party accessories to replace failed components that are poorly engineered on bikes that are less than two months old.
Unless these bikes have obvious signs of misuse that is not apparent in the photos this should be a straight out warranty issue.
Fair point.

I do not have this problem yet - I have not ridden any rough stuff (no bashplate).

I wonder what the wait will be for Husky:

1. To acknowledge that there is an issue (which there seems to be?)and
2. Provide an improved replacement part.

I think they will take ages ...so ...yep a work around.

I tried to order the product mentioned earlier re tail tidy. 20UK pounds for postage!

Is it available somewhere in the USA?

davorallyfan screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 12:06 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #153
kjackbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Fair point.

I do not have this problem yet - I have not ridden any rough stuff (no bashplate).

I wonder what the wait will be for Husky:

1. To acknowledge that there is an issue (which there seems to be?)and
2. Provide an improved replacement part.

I think they will take ages ...so ...yep a work around.

I tried to order the product mentioned earlier re tail tidy. 20UK pounds for postage!

There are many US distributors.....look on the link I posted and click Partners
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #154
kjackbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
http://www.rg-racing.com/partners/?p...artnertypeid=0
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #155
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post

They have a NZ reseller listed on their website. An email to them might be the go.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #156
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,517
Been gone a fair bit.....riding my Berg in the BBRSP (Big Bend Ranch State Park), so just catching up on the Thread.

I would have took my Terra, but the skid plate I ordered from Motosportz had not arrived in time (still hasn't delivered yet).

Anyway, Inspected my rear fender for cracking and It is fine. That after some considerable amount of jumping on my track and rough dirt road riding.....with the heavy metal plate still attached. A relief for sure. Think I'll do the BigDog Tail Mod post haste.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #157
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Thumb Coyote Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I too have been pondering what to do for saddle bags.
Pondering no longer. Atomic Moto had a deal on the Giant Loop stuff, and after much back and forth between the Coyote and Great Basin, I went with the Coyote. $260 shipped.

Primary factor for going with the Coyote was I wanted something that would work on my WR250R too, and I figured the Great Basin would be too big. As soon as the brown truck left I stuffed the coyote full of things and set about the test fitting on the Strada. It fits really well, I think it sits high enough that the exhaust is not a factor. I looped the rear center strap through the rack, and the sides around the pegs. I've been staring at all sorts of Coyote pics trying to get a sense of how it would work, and it looked promising. With it here and test fit on both of my bikes I'm really impressed. With 0 miles on it I call it a winner. We'll see. See the fitment note after the last picture.

On the left side the care must be taken to get the strap routed low on the peg mount. Up high and I think it's to close to the exhaust. Wasn't as close at all on the right side.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #158
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Broken fender workaround

Dealer suggested this work around for getting the bike the 50 miles to their shop with the broken fender. If you find yourself with a broken fender and need a temporary fix to limp home/to dealer, this worked really good. You'll need a drill and a cable tie. The drill is not something I carry, but I discovered issue in the garage thank goodness.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #159
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
My workaround, pre break, is to strap that sucker up to the luggage rack to try and prevent problems until a good solution can be found. All the break pics show the crack starting at the corners of the plastic tab that engages the white plastic upper piece. That is a fatigue crack starting at an inside corner. Classic case of that. I don't see Husky doing anything about this, at least on our bikes. Sad to say that, but my guess is that they will be like the three monkeys. Come on Husky NA, please prove me wrong! 'Wonder if they even read ADVR.

The fender needs additional support toward the rear; positive support. Maybe it can be done from inside with a fabricated piece going to the luggage rack mount tabs. With no shop manual, the only way to see the configuration of the sub-frame rear is to take off the bodywork. I will be doing that, but it will have to wait a little while.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #160
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,517
Hip Hip Hooray....

My skid plate and fat bar clamps arrived!

Now then....I can finally get down to some more serious biznuss.

I will say these parts from Motosportz appear very well made. Sturdy is an understatement. The skid plate is a bomb shelter. Though, I'm not real fond of the extra holes in the bottom side. Still gonna need some front engine protection, as mentioned by others. Time to dig around my spares shed....see if I can find anymore unwanted KLR parts.

Oh, its on!

HF

p.s. Krussell....I'm digging that Coyote Bag. Looks like a great solution, and would probably fit on my Berg also. Hhhmmm....
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #161
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Pondering no longer. Atomic Moto had a deal on the Giant Loop stuff, and after much back and forth between the Coyote and Great Basin, I went with the Coyote. $260 shipped.

Primary factor for going with the Coyote was I wanted something that would work on my WR250R too, and I figured the Great Basin would be too big. As soon as the brown truck left I stuffed the coyote full of things and set about the test fitting on the Strada. It fits really well, I think it sits high enough that the exhaust is not a factor. I looped the rear center strap through the rack, and the sides around the pegs. I've been staring at all sorts of Coyote pics trying to get a sense of how it would work, and it looked promising. With it here and test fit on both of my bikes I'm really impressed. With 0 miles on it I call it a winner. We'll see. See the fitment note after the last picture.

On the left side the care must be taken to get the strap routed low on the peg mount. Up high and I think it's to close to the exhaust. Wasn't as close at all on the right side.
The coyote looks like it has a better fit than the Great Basin. I have my GB loaded up and sitting on the bike. I will try to post a picture tonight. Thanks for posting.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #162
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Has anybody found anywhere to get switched power without cutting and splicing? In the manual Fuse #2 on a 15amp circuit list an accesory socket?

Fuse 2 = 15 A
Horn
Number plate light
Headlight (high beam and low beam)
Stop light
Accessories socket
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #163
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Has anybody found anywhere to get switched power without cutting and splicing? In the manual Fuse #2 on a 15amp circuit list an accesory socket?

Fuse 2 = 15 A
Horn
Number plate light
Headlight (high beam and low beam)
Stop light
Accessories socket
I have not seen a wiring diagram of the Terra. I believe the bike runs a Canbus electical system. If you tap into a circuit and it draws more power, the computer will find an issue and shut down the circuit.If there is a small extra daytime peanut bulb in the headlamp,you can use that as switched power. Even easier is buying a PDM60 power module and use posi-twist connectors and you are good to go. Thats what i will do when I get my new bike.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #164
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
There are factory accessory heated grips available. There must be a connection for them somewhere. Presumably it is on fuse 2.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #165
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
There are factory accessory heated grips available. There must be a connection for them somewhere. Presumably it is on fuse 2.
Where does my GPS,phone charger and my heated vest plug in to? I will buy Symtec grip kit for $50 and run a PDM60.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote