Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #1771
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Speaking of wheels......I had the rear wheel off last night and took a closer look at my wheel bearings. I was very surprised to see they are SKF bearings.

That is my #1 choice for a bearing whenever I buy replacements. Seems I read earlier someone planning to replace the (assumed) lousy original wheel bearings. Uhhmmm......SKF aren't lousy, they are great!

Maybe I'm lucky though, and the only one who got them. That would be a first for me.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #1772
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
My service light has been on for 15,000 km. My dealer couldn't get the MOSS to switch it off at the 10,000km service so it's been on ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Mine came on around 7K...I believe related to service interval...I think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
My "wrench" popped up on the Display during my recent CDR ride at exactly 7,000 miles.

HF
Ok, so I'm not the only one. I was a little concerned, because I launched off of a cattle guard yesterday on the way to work and then the wrench lit up.

It seems to me that if this wrench light is an automatic service indicator, and its going off at random mileage, I doubt its set to go off at a certain amount of miles. To me it makes more sense that there must be an hour-meter on the computer and the indicator lights up at a certain amount of hours. I imagine it would be around 150 hours.

So if I'm right around 7k miles, and I've done 150hrs on the bike, that means I've averaged 46.6mph. If others have less miles, they probably ride in town more or more technical trails. Others that go with more miles probably have more highway miles or just ride faster.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1773
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
It seems to me that if this wrench light is an automatic service indicator, and its going off at random mileage, I doubt its set to go off at a certain amount of miles.
I've had 'service wrench' indicators on a number of bikes....they are set to mileage intervals, nothing random about it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1774
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've had 'service wrench' indicators on a number of bikes....they are set to mileage intervals, nothing random about it.
It doesn't seem so with these bikes. HF's went off at 7k, and mine at 68xx miles. I bet its with an hour meter or something else.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1775
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

PVC Tailrack plate

I've had a couple people ask for one of my PVC tailrack plates over the past month. If anyone else is interested in one, send me a PM. I can make another CNC run with 5 orders. That's how many get cut out of the parent sheet.

HF
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1776
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Speaking of wheels......I had the rear wheel off last night and took a closer look at my wheel bearings. I was very surprised to see they are SKF bearings.

That is my #1 choice for a bearing whenever I buy replacements. Seems I read earlier someone planning to replace the (assumed) lousy original wheel bearings. Uhhmmm......SKF aren't lousy, they are great!

Maybe I'm lucky though, and the only one who got them. That would be a first for me.

HF
Not my first choice. I was going to say it depends on where it is manufactured. My R100GS tranny blew out it's bearings. When removing them, they were maid in S africa. I do not remember what the brand label was. But BMW has used parts off the shelf for the Terra, so this crap quality may very well be in the Terra.

I did a quick search to see if SKF was made in S Africa, and ran across this very interesting site/pdf.

http://www.waikatobearings.co.nz/any...797c92p314.pdf

Something we may all be aware of, but a very interesting read.

It used to be Timkin and NTN for my faves. But in recent years and farmed out manufacture, it is all a crap shoot now, and that link explains why.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1777
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd389 View Post
Has anyone put 17's on a TR650? I'm thinking about doing it. Are the hubs on the TR the same as on the F650GS.
I looked on the Motostrano website and they don't have wheel kits for the TR.
If someone has tarded a TR could we get a pic?
Isn't a Strada already a Motard already with it's 17" rear and 19" front combo? Of if you're talking about Terra....then just going with a set of Strada wheels gets you to a motard state.

That all said, I have a Strada that I've added a set of spokes to go off-road more and learned that yes, hubs of F650s do appear to be the same as well as the ABS rings (if so equipped). I bought and use a rear 17" F650GS Dakar spoked rim myself for off-road mode. My Husky cush parts moved right over!

During all that research though I didn't really see anything other than 19" fronts in spoked and cast. There may be a few 21" spoked rims out there, but definitely didn't see anything sub 19.

The other option would be a TR650/F650GS hub and custom build a rim and spokes of whatever diameter you want. They made me a custom front 21" rim using a RAD hub and Excel rim...maybe they can make a 17" one too.
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #1778
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Not my first choice. I was going to say it depends on where it is manufactured. My R100GS tranny blew out it's bearings. When removing them, they were maid in S africa. I do not remember what the brand label was. But BMW has used parts off the shelf for the Terra, so this crap quality may very well be in the Terra.

I did a quick search to see if SKF was made in S Africa, and ran across this very interesting site/pdf.

http://www.waikatobearings.co.nz/any...797c92p314.pdf

Something we may all be aware of, but a very interesting read.

It used to be Timkin and NTN for my faves. But in recent years and farmed out manufacture, it is all a crap shoot now, and that link explains why.
Well....I have no way of knowing if the SKF in my rear wheel assembly are real or counterfeit. But, my inspection indicates they are performing very well. Still tight and smooth after 8,500 miles. So hopefully, the real thing.

I'm very familiar with both Timkin & NTN bearings. They are good bearings too, as are Continental. The original OEM bearings in my F800GS cratered after only 3,000 miles. They were no-name absolute junk. I switched to SKF, which I always purchase from Motion Industries, a very reputable first line supplier. BMW did change their OEM bearing choice to NTN in 2011, at least for the F800. I had more than one conversation with the BMW-FSR about it.

HF
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1779
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Well....I have no way of knowing if the SKF in my rear wheel assembly are real or counterfeit. But, my inspection indicates they are performing very well. Still tight and smooth after 8,500 miles. So hopefully, the real thing.

I'm very familiar with both Timkin & NTN bearings. They are good bearings too, as are Continental. The original OEM bearings in my F800GS cratered after only 3,000 miles. They were no-name absolute junk. I switched to SKF, which I always purchase from Motion Industries, a very reputable first line supplier. BMW did change their OEM bearing choice to NTN in 2011, at least for the F800. I had more than one conversation with the BMW-FSR about it.

HF
Good to hear they are holding up well.

When you look at a new bearing box, it may say Timken, but look closer and it is made in another country. It kills me.

The last bearings I got were for my XL500R front wheel. SKF, made in Argentina. Cannot tell you how good they hold up, I sold the bike just after getting the Terra. Bearing guy said they were good bearings. Not my first choice, but if the guy who has to take the beating from a consumer when they fail swears they are good, he is putting his stamp of approval on it, and he is "in the know", moreso than an Auto Zone or pep boyz helper.

I was a bit shocked by the counterfeit article, I must say. Didn't think there would be that much profit, like in jewelry.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1780
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Nov. Motocross Action mag. has an interview with Stefan Pierer where he says there will be a Husky with a 690 motor. Hmm .... Trellis frame?, WP suspension? ...
Any more truth to this?
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #1781
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Any more truth to this?
They've been discussing that on the other thread.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #1782
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Got Foam?

It has arrived!

Only took about one week for the shipment from Uni-Filter in Australia to Rancho HighFive in Okiehoma.

Same basic footprint…..with the foam being a little bit smaller than the OEM pleated paper filter.

Here's a comparison of the two positioned in the mount-assembly:

The foam has a smaller air inlet, and a little shorter depth protruding out the other side.

The fit is good, but I still used silicone adhesive to hold it in place (during assembly).

Let it dry a couple hours, then shoved it into the slot. I had to work a little bit harder to push it all the way in. The bottom right bolt was harder than normal to reach the threads. Not sure if the foam was touching the perimeter frame, or what. But, I finally got it to go in with some firm pressure and cranking down the other two bolts a fair bit.

Gave it a test ride…..bike runs great. I did remove my Uni-foam "pre-filter" during this install. So, I'm only running with this main foam filter unit at the moment. The motor is breathing very well. Think I'll see how it goes for a while, and report back later.

HF
Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1783
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,212
A great improvement.

Quote:
It has arrived!

Only took about one week for the shipment from Uni-Filter in Australia to Rancho HighFive in Okiehoma.

Same basic footprint…..with the foam being a little bit smaller than the OEM pleated paper filter.

Here's a comparison of the two positioned in the mount-assembly:

The foam has a smaller air inlet, and a little shorter depth protruding out the other side.

The fit is good, but I still used silicone adhesive to hold it in place (during assembly).

Let it dry a couple hours, then shoved it into the slot. I had to work a little bit harder to push it all the way in. The bottom right bolt was harder than normal to reach the threads. Not sure if the foam was touching the perimeter frame, or what. But, I finally got it to go in with some firm pressure and cranking down the other two bolts a fair bit.

Gave it a test ride…..bike runs great. I did remove my Uni-foam "pre-filter" during this install. So, I'm only running with this main foam filter unit at the moment. The motor is breathing very well. Think I'll see how it goes for a while, and report back later.

HF

Sorry, but can you post the contact info on how to purchase the filters.

Thanks

jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #1784
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Here you go.....Uni-filter Linky:

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/e...0_2012-13.html
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #1785
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
The time has come to lubricate the final drive chain. How do you go about this; how often and which types of lube and cleaner do you use?

I'm thinking of using a wax lubricant, but am not sure about the cleaner. Any recommendations? Is there something I could buy from an automitive or hardware shop that would do a good job, without havng to buy an over-priced can of dedicated motorcycle chain cleaner?

Thanks.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote