Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #166
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,768
Pretty sure there is no Canbus on these models.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #167
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
No CANBUS on Terra.....it is an old fashion wire job, done up nicely.

I just completed all my accessory wiring this weekend. Stripped the bike naked and made a right proper complex job of it all. But, I sure am pleased with the result. Used a Fuzeblock and pulled lots of wires....just to make BigDog squirm. I'll do a show-n-tell real soon.

Gunnr....I used a Posi-tap to get a switched power feed for my relay from the tail-light wire. Easy-peasy, piece of cake when you know which wire to tap. I didn't....so I started guessing. There are three wires, and of course, I had to tap all three until I found it. . It's why I never bother buying Lottery Tickets. Anyway, no cutting & splicing with a Posi-tap. Just screw it on and voila! Love those thingys.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, use the white/green wire.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #168
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Did you find any sort of spare connector for the heated grips? I'm assuming that there must be one somewhere towards the front of the bike.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #169
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I did not.....though I really wasn't looking for one since I was pulling my own wires. If it exists, then it would most likely be inside the headlight assembly. Very easy to open and inspect. Just remove the two plastic covers on the front (black & white pieces, then you can easily dig around for a looksee. Unlike most bikes, there is lots of useable room in there, and you don't have to remove the headlight to get in. Very nice design for frontal access.

I'll be posting lots of photos with all my updates to come.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:30 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #170
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Ok...I have searched and didn't find...and I have read most of this and the other thread...and the owners manual. My question ...can you set the clock up to run on 12 hour instead of 24 hour? I thought I'd read about being able to do this...but I can't find it. I reckon if it's a easy fix and I am just challenged for not knowing...at least I asked in the right thread..
Thanks...and great thread.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #171
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
I have not seen a wiring diagram of the Terra. I believe the bike runs a Canbus electical system.
Your very likely correct here, it would make a lot of sense for them to use CANBUS for the communication between the ECU, Meter Panel, and Dealer Diagnostic Computer at a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post

If you tap into a circuit and it draws more power, the computer will find an issue and shut down the circuit.If there is a small extra daytime peanut bulb in the headlamp,you can use that as switched power. Even easier is buying a PDM60 power module and use posi-twist connectors and you are good to go. Thats what i will do when I get my new bike.

Cheers
The bike uses standard fuses for over current protection, this is not related to CANBUS. The term CANBUS is frequently used to describe two independent things:

1) Serial Communications Bus - This is CANBUS
2) Over current protection - Good ol' fuses, like a FuzeBlock or Centech, or Solid State like on higher end BMW models and used by the PDM60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
No CANBUS on Terra.....it is an old fashion wire job, done up nicely.
More precisely, there is no solid state over current protection used on the Terra, it uses fuses.

Quote:

Oh yeah, almost forgot, use the white/green wire.

HF
Ah, the really important nugget! Thanks for this. Continuing on with the above explanation, you can either use

1) Solid state over current protection - Connect up a PDM60 and use the white/green wire for the trigger

or

2) a FuzeBlock, or Centech/Relay, ... - Connecting the relay to the white/green wire for the trigger

In both cases your TR650 will also be using CANBUS for communicating between the ECU and Meter Panel.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #172
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Hmmm,
Good info. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #173
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Thanks for the info on the wiring. I kind of like the simplicity of this and then tap into the rear brake light wire as HF did. I just need power for gps, heated gear and grips. I also use the battery tender plug for power.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

As far as digging around under the headlight shell. I was in there and didn't see any unused plugs to get power. I'm sure Bigdog would have seen it when he was in there as well.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #174
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

BEHOLD the Posi-Tap

gunnr….just for you....a little sneak preview.

Drum-roll please

Seriously fun way to tap into electrical lines. So easy….I did it three times before hitting the jackpot (and triggering my Relay).

I never stress over wiring diagrams anymore. Instead, I just start tapping lines until lightening strikes!

And yes, if you look closely, you can see my band-aids (black electric tape) wrapped around the other wires. I've never been very lucky, so I just keep buying more bikes.

HF

p.s. Man….I've got a lot of articles to write-up. I spent two days locked in the garage last weekend tearing into my Terra. Sometimes doing "stuff" and other times just rooting around with a stick probing places I probably shouldn't. But I'm like that…

Stripping her naked took some pondering. Guess that should be the first article...."how to take her clothes off without getting caught".

Swapping out handlebars and brush guards with something from the surplus pile.

Wiring in auxiliary accessory power to the maximum degree!!

Installing heated grip (the el cheapo route)

Performing a Canisterectomy……Caution: Not for the queasy.

And more stuff I've already forgotten only a day later (I'm getting old).

Your gonna need a lot of popcorn, and me some "time" to write it up...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #175
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Yes…..I said Canisterectomy

But you'll have to wait for the gory details.

Because I'm such a tease….

Or maybe, because I just want to show pictures of her naked first.

HF
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #176
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 847
I ran into a unused electrical connection when I had the right side cover off to run my GPS power. Think it was above the cylinder head,may have been for the ABS system. She is fun to play with !
btw..I did sneak in a cheesebuger / pie run to Oark Saturday. Man these bikes are fun.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #177
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
She is fun to play with !
btw..I did sneak in a cheesebuger / pie run to Oark Saturday. Man these bikes are fun.
I'm jealous!

But....I was busy working on Stuff.

HF
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #178
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Do better bar options exist?

Important STUFF arrived at Rancho Highfive:

So, its time to quit riding and start wrenching. Finally dig in and get my hands dirty. Its usually the first thing I do, upon bringing a new horse into the stable. I liked to check them over thoroughly, and give 'em a good grooming. But this Terra…..I just rode, rode, & rode for a nearly a thousand miles before getting to this point. Someone was right to describe it as an "exciting bike", I guess.

To date, the Motosportz skid plate has been the best offering. So I ordered one up. I've decided its not a skidplate, its ART. This thing is military grade siding for an above-ground bomb shelter! Never seen one so stout & strong…..just like BigDog said. A thing of beauty, and it mounted up perfectly in a rather ingenious fashion. Bit tight on clearance to the chain, but I've had no problems with that so far.

And, my FAT BAR CLAMPS came with it. Hip-hip-hooray!

This is what has really been holding up the train. Everything for me BEGINS with the bars. I'm real picky about the handling and feedback I get from the bike while riding, not to mention comfort. I don't like the small 7/8" steel bars that came stock. The height and bend is ok, but the feel is just dead. They are too stiff to let me feel any feedback. Kind of hard to describe a feeling. Maybe it comes from years of Observed Trials competition...I donno. But when the feeling is not there, it bugs me. Starts keeping me awake at night……that's when I have to do something about it.

The machining in these Motosportz clamps is absolutely superb! More ART. These are the only two items I have ever purchased from Motosportz to date. My compliments to the Chef.

These are the 1/2" taller than stock version. Here's how they compare:

And this is the mounting base on the top Triple-clamp:

Now, I just need a set of bars. Must "stick to the rules" of using existing inventory within the garage. Something old, borrowed, or blue (gotta skip the New part).

Hhhhmmmm…….

How about this snazzy set of Hebo Fat bars for my (former) GasGas 280 Pro trials bike? Not Blue but close....

Really digging the Black! These things look beeeeeautiful on the Terra.

But, they are too flat for this bike. Not enough bar bend toward the rider, I'm afraid, for this big dualsport horse and my short arms.

You can see what I'm talking about here….when I put the stock bars up next to it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Gotta find another option. However, Memo-to-File: I like Black Bars.

Looking around and running out of options…..I don't want to break the Rules, so soon.

These aren't being used:

Naaaah….they'd be too heavy and just haven't come back in fashion yet.

Hhhhmmmm…..there is a set "technically" not being used (at the moment):

Ooooooo…..comes with spiffy black & white handguards to boot. And more.

What do you suppose?

The bend looks good:

The length looks better (for me). I don't like real wide bars.

Even has matching holes pre-drilled. Must be a BMW thing.

Best of all…..a threaded bar end for something very VERY special.

Well look here, the Husky handgrip clamps fit perfectly in these holes. I could have had a V-8!

Promising….very promising:

And no, I didn't have to castrate the balls on the end of my levers…..like BigDog. Not sure why old retired guys forfeit their balls so readily.

Yes, these "plastic" Touratech hand guards are strong…..very strong. I've dropped the F800GS on this very pair without any issues. Much stronger than you'd think. They actually have metal mounts to the handlebar…..which is where most plastic guards break away. What's more, they are very light. Much lighter than the metal Cycra mounts (& equal). Light equals better feedback thru the bars (for me). Told you I was picky.

BUT the very most important thing of all, it comes with this wonderful gadget ALREADY INSTALLED:

Kaoko Cruise Lock…….which let's me do this effortlessly and failsafe:

One of the best additions to a long-distance motorsickeling that I've ever enjoyed.

Second only to my Electronic Cruise control on my Goldwing (which cannot be topped). Completely spins out of the way for trail riding or whenever you don't want to use it.

At least, I can say this pair of reins has been well-trained.

I think we have a Winner!

HF

p.s. Next up....Electro-izing for Accessor-izing (also known as Heated Grips & Then Some)

HighFive screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 05:58 AM
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #179
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Yes…..I said Canisterectomy

But you'll have to wait for the gory details.

Because I'm such a tease….

Or maybe, because I just want to show pictures of her naked first.

HF

Good stuff
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #180
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
WTB - Used F800GS , preferably with accessories like Touratech Hand Guards, Kaoko throttle lock, and some nice pegs.

Does not need engine, or if engine included does not need to run.

Wait, maybe I should just by the parts instead of a donor cycle.

HF, won't that make the F800 a bit difficult to ride?