User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #211
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Can I get a wider kickstand base?

Yes you can.....use one of these SSF (Side Stand Foot) from Moto Overland (MOD):

Its a nicely machined piece that works very well. No more "sinking of the kickstand" into loose dirt or mud. Moto Overland sent me this one for a test-fit, and to work out any potential bugs on behalf of the Terra Owners Club.

Its very sturdy, secure, and darn good looking…

I like it. Blends so well with the bike, it looks factory OEM.

Tucks up nicely without any interference too.

The Terra appears to be using the same kickstand on the F800GS. I test fitted this part on both of these bikes in my garage.

It slipped right on to my F800GS, but I had to slightly round the edges of my Terra kickstand base with a hand file to improve the MOD-SSF fit. This was very easily done, and I like the two bolt attachment design of the MOD piece over the three bolt design of the Wunderlich version (which I moved back to my F800). Looks like the kickstand manufacture has some variance in their manufacturing tolerance, or maybe just a lack of quality control. The difference is really minor, though.

Moto Overland's SSF has smoother edges than the Wunderlich piece, too. I like that better…..less prone to catch and snag. I'm often picking weeds out of my Wunderlich SSF which has some kind of serrated teeth around the edge. That probably won't be a problem much longer, as the Terra is getting the weed duty lately.

The MOD piece is less expensive too. A good buy, I think. Check it out at their website: Moto Overland

You would want to order the SSF for the F800GS, if interested. They didn't have the Terra listed the last time I looked on their site. Its HF tested and rated: two thumbs up!

HF

p.s. hope I don't have to send this one back to them.....I like it too much.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 05:25 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #212
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Put this on

Its well made. It is almost like adding a bottom frame rail.

To make the rear bottom engine mount bolt fit requires removal of the footpeg / sidestand bracket. This held by two cheesey finely threaded torx. I dont like torx bolts. I have a set of cheap Torx keys. It was hard work and as they tighten ... it gets harder. I fear I may have damaged the heads ot these bolts. Tomorrow I am going to buy a torx T bar to avoid further damage as I do the final tighten. What could possibly go wrong?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #213
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Hey HF....I saw a bunch of your pics and noticed you had an aux fuse block. I was just wondering what you had going on there and if you were going to do a write up on it?

Kev.
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #214
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,189
mirrors??

can someone tell me if the stems on the mirrors are BMW sized or the larger diameter common to KTMs and aprilias?

im asking because I have a pair of BMW f800gs mirrors and im wondering if they are going to fit the terra i hope to buy next week.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #215
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
Hey HF....I saw a bunch of your pics and noticed you had an aux fuse block. I was just wondering what you had going on there and if you were going to do a write up on it?

Kev.
Just back up a couple pages and start reading. I've already provided plenty of detail about it. Electrical work begins on Post #186.

HF
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #216
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
can someone tell me if the stems on the mirrors are BMW sized or the larger diameter common to KTMs and aprilias?

im asking because I have a pair of BMW f800gs mirrors and im wondering if they are going to fit the terra i hope to buy next week.
Nope... just tested it. Same size, different thread pitch. The F8 is coarse. TR650 is fine.

HF
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #217
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How do I disable the sidestand switch?

I disable the sidestand kill switch on all my DS bikes (same as BigDog). In fact, this pictorial is the exact procedure described by BigDog on his website. He saved me the trouble of figuring out which wires to jump. Thanks Mark!

The switch hides behind the kickstand here:

Remove the connector and cut the line some distance away from it.

Slit the sheath and separate out the three wires…..give yourself some room to work

Strip, twist together, & solder the Yellow/Green & Brown/Green wires. Leave the blue wire by itself.

Cover both ends with heat-shrink tubing.

I used another piece of larger heat-shrink tubing to seal it all together…including the loose sheath slit earlier.

I love this particular tubing material as the internal wall has an epoxy coating that oozes out when heated and really seals the ends tightly. Think I bought if from Eastern Beaver company many moons ago. Best heat-shrink I've ever used. Need to order some more, as I'm almost out of it.

Tie it up to the cables on top of the swingarm and you're all done. No more engine cutoff when bouncing down a bumpy trail.

HF
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #218
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Can I take the Terra offroad?

Answer: Maybe....if you're courageous and daring!

Enough photos in the garage….TIME TO RIDE!

I spent 8 hours in the saddle today, much of it attempting to punish my Terra in the rough Kiamichi Mountains of SE Oklahoma. Covered 350 miles total roundtrip. Its about 2.5 hour slab ride to get down there from T-town, but with some glorious mountain twisties which never disappoint.

Today was a true "Dualsport" test day…full of pavement, dirt roads, and rough two-track. Been lots of rain here in the last week, so it was quite muddy offroad, in addition to being very rocky. Just PERFECT for a torture test. I've been itching to put the Terra thru the paces offroad to see what potential she may hold.

Arrival at ground zero….here are what we call the Billy Creek glamour shots (before getting down to business):

I wasted no time tackling what I considered challenging for the Terra. A 2 mile long, steep, narrow, two-track climb that was muddy, rocky, overgrown, & washed out in places. Ridden it on my WRR a few times, and it keeps you real busy all the way to the top. The kind of climb that if you stop, you're gonna have a real hard time getting going again. Its strewn with babyheads and bowling balls. Did I mention mud and water? Ho-chi-momma! I wasn't planning on so much of that.

Sorry…no pics….no chance to stop and frame a shot. I was riding solo too. Guess I should get me one of those GoPro thingys some day. If I tell you the trail was nasty, then it was. Meaning a majority of riders would probably not want to try it on a Terra, KLR, DR650, or F800. I went up it on my KLR, back in the day. I made it, but others didn't. Wasn't much fun.

Today, the result would be different. Surprisingly so. I had faith in the Terra, but honestly didn't expect it to tractor so solidly up this hill. I had no problem holding my line, maintain traction, and keeping my momentum. The Terra felt great! It responded very quickly to rider input (bar & peg pressure)…..went exactly where I wanted it to. Felt very balanced and stable. In fact, It seems to have a natural tendency to want to stay upright, where other bikes (think KLR) wants to fall off balance.

I underestimated the strength of the torque in this motor. It has always seemed geared too high (in my mind) for trail use. But I had no problem pulling this hill in 1st gear. The torque is delivered so smoothly, its deceptive. Even in a fairly steep incline, I was crawling steadily thru slippery rock piles and mud with relative ease. I usually keep a finger on the clutch & front brake levers (Observed Trials habits), and often feather the clutch working the motor to maintain traction on a climb like this. However, I did not have to work this motor slipping the clutch, at least not much at all that I remember.

This was very encouraging thing to me….quite amazing actually. I had a super big smile on my face when I reached the top, as I was anticipating a much tougher time of it. Consequently, I threw caution to the wind and flogged the Terra thru many a rock bed and mud hole over the next few hours. She never fussed or failed. It was a great bonding time for us.

Here are several pics in other areas that were less intense. Hope you enjoy them, it was a glorious day!

I had no problem continuing the climb from this point. Got up on the pegs and the traction hooked up immediately. I think you folks are going to be surprised what your red pony will do…..out in the rough.

I was surprised how well the fenders etc, controlled the mud splatter. My pants legs are caked from mud & water, but the bike is fairly clean up the sides and on top. Best of all, I don't have a mud trail up my back side all the way to my shoulders (which always happened on my WRR on a day like this).

Keep in mind, I did have a 2.5 hour slab ride back home. That tends to shed some mud residue. I ended the ride on 40 miles of high speed turnpike running 80 mph. Set the Kaoko cruise lock and relaxed. It was great! And the motor was not laboring in the least. I ran it up to 100 mph for a stretch…..and it felt fine. The handling was still balanced and solid. I felt no instability whatsoever. The magazine reviews I have read, simply got it wrong. They said the bike was unstable above 80 mph….BS.

I ran several bumpy forest roads at speeds between 40 - 50 mph. Hit a lot of embedded rock edges going faster than I should. I just couldn't help myself. The bike whistles along so smooth and quiet, its easy to get going faster than you think (or wanted to). Glad to report not a single ding or dent in the rims, and I took some hard hits, let me assure you. Maybe the 30 psi in the tires helped, eh? At least, I can definitely say my suspension is broken in now.

HF

p.s. By the way, the stock Metzler tires performed well enough to get by in some pretty nasty rocky muddy terrain. Even at 30 psi front & rear (I forgot to air them down). Yes, I'd rather had knobbies, of course.

But these claims I've read that the stock treads really suck and are completely useless…..well, maybe the problem ain't so much the tires as something else. Its possible...
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #219
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 847
HF, I took my Beemer on the entire K trail. It did everything I asked of it but was a lot of work. I too am blown away at the handeling of the Terra. Finished my skid plate this weekend so now I can really see what the Husky is like off road. If you want to meet up sometime let me know. Lots of good riding southeast Oklahoma.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #220
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,766
Yep, my Xch was the best tractor I have ridden. Getting up loose and rock strewn climbs was always so easy, same as having to start off again on a hard section or get over logs etc. it is good to see these traits have followed over to the Terra.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #221
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Good stuff

Good Stuff Scott-----------you've been very busy and happy with the Terra !!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #222
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post

Thanks for posting this picture. I wondered what the hose guard looked like from the side. Can you let us know how much if any noise it reflects at the rider.
Thanks.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #223
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Thanks for posting this picture. I wondered what the hose guard looked like from the side. Can you let us know how much if any noise it reflects at the rider.
Thanks.
Its noisier and more rattly at idle but the most protective plate I have seen so far. Ok on the run. I'll burn off the saharas this week and will be nobbing up for some big clangs. Cant wait to ride the Barry Way on this...
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #224
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,111
Recieved Hi Fives Home Made PVC Tailrack Plate today and already have it mounted. Fits perfectly and looks great.

Great job HF, thanks.

Still slowly finishing the interior of my new Man Cave. About 75% finished with the wiring, next the plumbing, insulation then the interior.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #225
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Glad you like it, Dean.

Ooooooo.....your man-cave looks exactly like what I've been wanting to build. What size is the interior? Got a separate upstairs room? Complete facilities? Love the porch. Looks perfect. Maybe I can scarf a copy of those plans and start hammering away.

HF