Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #256
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I posted my complete oil change procedure previously in ths Thread. Go to Post #33 and you will see a photo of the Rotella I am currently running.

I used Rotella Synthetic T6 Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5W-40 (blue bottle). I do not recommend the T5 (white bottle).

NAPA always seems to have this oil on the shelf. Other auto parts stores & some farm & ranch supplies seem to occassionaly. WATCH OUT.....don't grab an identical T6 blue bottle that says "for diesel engines". Make sure you check the label on front and get the "Heavy Duty Engine Oil" version, if you choose to run this brand.

I've been very pleased with the performance of this T6 synthetic in several of my bikes.......I watch for it to go on sale and stock up. It is JASO rated, and is not Energy Conserving. Always check the circular "API" rating on the back to see if an oil is Energy Conserving.....which means it has slick additives that you don't want to be using with this kind of a wet clutch. Energy Conserving will always be published in the lower half of the API circle; otherwise, it is blank.

Check that API label and ignore any marketing hype elsewhere on the bottle. For example, this T6 bottle says "Energized Performance" on the front. That means absolutely nothing......but could easily be confused and mis-interpreted by a Stupid Dog like me. SO read the fine print carefully to verify JASO and a clean API label (blank lower half of circle) and you're good to go (with any brand).

Regarding offroad ECU mapping......I doubt it.....for this bike. Never heard of such being available, but I'm stupid about a lot of things. Thus, the need for this Thread. My Dealer did that for me on my Husaberg FE390 enduro model.....loaded the more agressive map from the motocross bike (of similar engine displacement). But that was primarily to eliminate the lean stall off bottom. There is a re-flash for the Terra that supposedly fixes this similar issue (if needed). Requires the Dealer to have the special MOSS tool to accomplish. But, I've not needed it for mine (yet).

If the Dealer has the tool and knows how to use it, then I'd have them re-flash it before departing. Certainly couldn't hurt anything. But it might not be needed on your particular bike. You'd just have to ride it first to see if it stumbles off idle (after its at Normal Operating Temperature......I.e. the fan is cycling).

I'm unaware of any "competition fuel maps" available for the Terra. But, it would be funny if they did.

HF
Thank you, thats exactly the info I was looking for on the oil.

The dealership down in El Paso seems a little oblivious to what is going on and have a hard time distinguishing their @$$es from holes in the ground. The only reason I'm purchasing the bike from them is they have the lowest price and assembly fees. I will probably cruise the bike over to Tuscon and get the aggressive flash once I get past the 600 mile mark (should only be a few days of commuting).

Thanks for the info.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #257
TerraNick23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey guys, pretty new to the forum, and Dual Sport riding, but have been keeping up with the Terra threads pretty well. I Just picked mine up. Sold my KTM 990 Superduke for it.

Anyways, the info in this thread is great. I ordered some parts for the Terra and they should be in soon, as soon as those parts are installed and the bike is proper broke in, I will take her for a real Dual Sport thrashing. (weather permiting) I live in GA, and apparently there are some killer DS roads in the North Ga Mtns. I have a GoPro so I will get some footage of the bike in action. In all my searching for videos on the bike, it never seems like anyone is riding it like I feel the bike can be ridden, which is to say pretty hard. It is a little heavier than a regular dirt bike but it carries it well... I have been sliding it around and doing some little water breaker jumps with it already in my back yard...the tires are a little slick for anything too wet or muddy, but are awesome on the street... when they wear out though I will be putting some more dirt worthy tires on.

Keep up the good thread! And when ever I have some more info to post I will.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #258
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

BigDog
That ewok thing on the chair next to your bike is freaking me out.

Anywho, can you do a write up on the LED lights?
What brand are they? Where did you ge them? Did you tie them into your brights or hook them up to the fuzeblock?

Make the ewok go away.
Thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #259
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Anywho, can you do a write up on the LED lights?
What brand are they? Where did you ge them? Did you tie them into your brights or hook them up to the fuzeblock?

Make the ewok go away.
Thanks.
No----the Ewok isn't going away---that's my best friend JoJo----he's my buddy and loves to hang out in the sickle shed.

All the mods I've done to my bike our on my website. My bike is the first I've seen completely set up for adventure travel with the ability to carry camping and cooking gear.
And I got that done months ago.

The buildup of my Terra is here:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/11HuskyTR650.htm

But for the lights specific----I'll post it again here. I've got these on my Terra and my KLR.

My lights are the black model 60's available here:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...Categories.bok

They make daylight out of dark.

I mounted them to the Cycra Pro-bend handguards. The higher you mount these the better you'll be able to see.
I've seen lot's of guy mount them down low to the fork tubes----I don't like that install.
As an added benefit the wiring is much easier.

I also purchase the LED rotary dimmer switch.
With this item you can have the extremely bright and illegal LED's set to an infinitely adjustable lower level when on low beam.
With this---you connect a wire from this module to your high beam wire---now when you hit high beam the LED's go from the low setting you had them
on----- to full bright--this module also has an off detent if you want them off while on low beam.
I velcro'd the module to the location you see and this made it easy to access wiring behind the headlight.

Without a bunch of blah, blah, blah, blah about lumens and density of light rays and a bunch of other technical bull let
me just say they make daylight out of dark. I've got this same setup on my KLR.
These are illegal to use------if you turn these on in the dark you will completely blind oncoming traffic and risk the other
vehicle crashing----maybe hitting you in the process.
So I'm very careful how I use them.
When on low beam and having the LED's at their lowest setting you won't blind anybody and your daytime
visibility is increased 10 fold.

The 2 lights and dimmer will put you back about $250 I think---------I've had HID---I like this much better.
After having these on for a bit in the dark-------when you go back to low beam you'll swear your stock headlight went out.

Finished skidplate with tooltube.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:22 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #260
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
No----the Ewok isn't going away---that's my best friend JoJo----he's my buddy and loves to hang out in the sickle shed.

All the mods I've done to my bike our on my website. My bike is the first I've seen completely set up for adventure travel with the ability to carry camping and cooking gear.

The buildup of my Terra is here:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/11HuskyTR650.htm

But for the lights specific----I'll post it again here. I've got these on my Terra and my KLR.

My lights are the black model 60's available here:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...Categories.bok

They make daylight out of dark.

I mounted them to the Cycra Pro-bend handguards. The higher you mount these the better you'll be able to see.
I've seen lot's of guy mount them down low to the fork tubes----I don't like that install.
As an added benefit the wiring is much easier.

I also purchase the LED rotary dimmer switch.
With this item you can have the extremely bright and illegal LED's set to an infinitely adjustable lower level when on low beam.
With this---you connect a wire from this module to your high beam wire---now when you hit high beam the LED's go from the low setting you had them
on----- to full bright--this module also has an off detent if you want them off while on low beam.
I velcro'd the module to the location you see and this made it easy to access wiring behind the headlight.

Without a bunch of blah, blah, blah, blah about lumens and density of light rays and a bunch of other technical bull let
me just say they make daylight out of dark. I've got this same setup on my KLR.
These are illegal to use------if you turn these on in the dark you will completely blind oncoming traffic and risk the other
vehicle crashing----maybe hitting you in the process.
So I'm very careful how I use them.
When on low beam and having the LED's at their lowest setting you won't blind anybody and your daytime
visibility is increased 10 fold.

The 2 lights and dimmer will put you back about $250 I think---------I've had HID---I like this much better.

Thanks for the post. Funny, I was perusing your site and found the thread showing your Terra build up while you posted this. I noticed your ride report for 'Pancho and Lefty'. I will be attempting a similar (maybe not) run the end of March with Bullitman281. We are considering taking off from El Paso, TX and trying to make it to San Diego, utilizing the border road as much as possible.

Your dog still creeps me out.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #261
cbxtc6
On my Way...

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Your dog still creeps me out.
Yeah, with a name like BigDog and all

In my best Crocodile Dundee voice: THAT's not a dog...this here's a DOG!

(Just kidding Mark!)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #262
TerraNick23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxtc6 View Post
Yeah, with a name like BigDog and all

In my best Crocodile Dundee voice: THAT's not a dog...this here's a DOG!

(Just kidding Mark!)
What windshield is that? A custom job?
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #263
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,350
The dog looks terrafied
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #264
cbxtc6
On my Way...

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2Wheels View Post
What windshield is that? A custom job?
Yes, I just cut up a piece of lexan.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #265
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxtc6 View Post
Yes, I just cut up a piece of lexan.
Well I pulled the trigger and drove all the way to Tucson, AZ to get this since the dealership in El Pisshole, TX wasn't sure when my bike was going to be in, if ever. (KTM may have cut off shipments already).

Anyways, I already removed the license plate anchor, and I'm looking at how hard it would be to fab my own Tail Tidy.
I am going to make my own pannier rack next weekend, and probably a kickstand foot.
I'm also attempting to mount the barkbusters from my broke-down DR350 to the Terra.
I followed Bid Dog's lead and ordered the Motorsportz skid plate. The only one he had left was the a red one and I need this NOW since I commute on 30 miles of dirt roads to get to work everyday.
Anyone have pics of the red plate mounted up?

Here's a tip for others who may be trying to scrounge up handguards from other bikes and fit them on the Terra:

If you can't find any hardware in your shop that will fit the threads for the bar ends (minus the bar weights), use the screws from your license plate holder/anchor. They are the same threading as the bar ends.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #266
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 112
Acid Test

I have not contributed for a while but it's time for me to be useful. Well, as useful as I am capable of anyway. Just returned from a successful trip to the Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in west Texas. Yea, riding in northwest Illinois has been tough in the past few weeks. I'm not going to clog up the thread with pictures but in the National park I rode most of the rugged roads, Glenn Springs, Black Gap, Dagger Flats, Old Ore and all of River Road. I also went west of Presidio and rode highway 170 along the Rio Grande into Marfa. This road turns to gravel (and less) past Candelaria for a long ways and my return route took me onto Pinto Canyon road. I must say numerous times I was thinking to myself; "Self, this terrain is more rugged than what you bought this bike for" but the Terra performed above my expectations. My Dirt Bagz and racks worked without flaw, the diamond plate skid plate mod protected as I had hoped, the windshield survived a few chest bumps and the bike gave no problems despite the pounding it took. Before I left the rash of rear fender failures had me concerned so I added the following reinforcement. I also removed the stock steel mount plate and used my enduro bike method of attaching an old license plate to the fender then adding the current plate over it. Our club used to put on enduro's years ago and the benefit of being sweep rider was that you got to keep all the plates that flew off into the bushes. I have a good supply. My concern with the steel strap was that movement from the luggage rack would inadvertently apply a load to the rear fender but seeing that it survived the 600 miles I put it through I feel confident it will serve the purpose. Due to recent corporate juggling I just wanted to say thanks to Mr. HF, Big Dog and everyone that has added to this thread as I fear we may be on our own in the future with these machines. My dealer is confident things will work out, he is still getting parts and new bikes so keep riding people and let others worry. As I like to say on the farm; "Don't let things you can't do get in the way of the things you can".
2013 Husky Terra
2013 Husky TE310
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #267
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,957
husky just sold out!

got a little inside info that husky just sold out to a company from india! i don't have one, but just for you guys, i don't know what this will do for parts availability? or quality? but might be worth looking into? stockpile the good stuff now?

sorry for the little bummer, looks like a good bike!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #268
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommer View Post
got a little inside info that husky just sold out to a company from india! i don't have one, but just for you guys, i don't know what this will do for parts availability? or quality? but might be worth looking into? stockpile the good stuff now?

sorry for the little bummer, looks like a good bike!

sheesh.
You are about a month and 500 posts late and total inaccurate.
If you are going to spout rubbish and late rubbish at that please do it somewhere else.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #269
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

I think mommer was trolling us. I hope...
maybe Hawai'i is a little behind with their news.

I hit 101 mile on the Terra yesterday, going to drain the oil and clean out the filter this morning.
I would replace the filter, but due to my geographical challenge I don't have access to any new filters. I ordered 3 from Amazon the night I bought the bike (K&N - 151, correct?) and they should be in tuesday. They wanted $26+ tax at the dealership for an offbrand oil filter

I'm going to change the oil @ 100 miles, oil and new filter @ 500-600 miles, and oil+filter again @ 1000.
I figure this and keeping the revs below 4k should be a good break in.

Hopefully by Tuesday I will have 500-600 miles and the new filters in.
Thanks to UPS/ Fed-Ex, Tuesday will be like xmas all over for me again... my soft bags (Nelson Rigs waterproof), and oil filters will be in for the bike, and a bunch of trapping supplies should be arriving.

My 12v accessory setup already arrived and I'll try to take some pics while I install that today.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #270
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
They wanted $26+ tax at the dealership for an offbrand oil filter

Good grief.