Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #301
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Ok ...everyone who didn't get one..call your dealer?

I am emailing my dealer right now too...we deserve a toolkit.!

Eurosport in Ashville NC. for what it's worth,..they seem to be a great bunch of guys.

I'll post back up with answer if I get it or not.

Thanks Bigdog!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #302
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I am emailing my dealer right now too...we deserve a toolkit.!

Eurosport in Ashville NC. for what it's worth,..they seem to be a great bunch of guys.

I'll post back up with answer if I get it or not.

Thanks Bigdog!
I called my dealer as soon as I found out that mine was missing.
He said he'll get right on it.

That would be hilarious if the corporate office got 100+ calls in a day about missing tool kits.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #303
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
We have four 650s assembled in the shop right now, I believe one came with a tool kit.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #304
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Picked up two TR's and both had tool kits. Nothing fancy mind ya but tool kits none the less. That is one long spark plug wrench.
btw Liking the bike more and more.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #305
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm not worried about the protection but rather the extra strength a proper set of side racks provide which comes from a strut that ties in down near the foot peg... This strut substantially strengthens the rear sub frame which is what you want when your loading the back end... Even if I was to run a Giant Loop I would not remove the racks, especially when carrying a load over rough ground...
Hey Dave!

I hear what you're saying. I find that with the GL Great Basin loaded up it'll still only be not even a quarter of the weight of a passenger (and located in roughly the same spot too) so it'll be very little stress on any bike designed to take a passenger. Much less than hanging stuff off the back and piling it high (not that you'd do that)! Even the Coyote that is designed for full-on Enduros (street legal or not) hasn't given any problems to those abbreviated sub-frames that I've heard of. Of course it forces you to pack lighter (and to a lesser extent same with the Great Basin) but you're bike and riding is all the better for it.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #306
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,608
Doesn't matter what bag system you use, as long as you're riding!

This is a Show-n-Tell thread....let's keep on point. If you've got it on your TR650, we want to see it.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #307
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Talked to the dealer again, they said they'll have to fill out a claim form for the missing tool kit.

Sorry for the delay, here's the video showing my predicament:

http://youtu.be/4LDbcVdJXPQ

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #308
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Dave!

I hear what you're saying. I find that with the GL Great Basin loaded up it'll still only be not even a quarter of the weight of a passenger (and located in roughly the same spot too) so it'll be very little stress on any bike designed to take a passenger. Much less than hanging stuff off the back and piling it high (not that you'd do that)! Even the Coyote that is designed for full-on Enduros (street legal or not) hasn't given any problems to those abbreviated sub-frames that I've heard of. Of course it forces you to pack lighter (and to a lesser extent same with the Great Basin) but you're bike and riding is all the better for it.

Dave
Spam?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #309
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
That was before Giant Loop came out. None of the Giant Loop bags require any side racks. They've been around for over 4 years now and off-road (and everywhere else) proven. Save yourself around 10lbs or rack weight too. True side racks protect some if the soft bags weren't there.
I bought the Giant Loop Great Basin 55 litre bag last week for my Terra (until some pannier racks become available that I can use my Andy Strapz Expedition Panniers with). The bag fits perfectly on the bike, and the plastic heat shields are perfectly placed to keep the bag off the pipes.

I did learn however, that aside from the two T25 screws holding the heat shield onto the muffler, there is a rubber stopper/gromit at the front of the muffler which keeps the heat shield off the muffler. Somewhere along the way last weekend this rubber on one side of my bike broke off. Not sure why it broke. The bag was strapped tightly enough that I don't think it would have caused a vibration through that part.

Anyway, the lack of rubber stopper, and the tension on the bag caused it to bend the heat shield into the exhaust. The heat sheild melted onto the muffler. The bag didn't suffer any damage (fortunately, because it's a lot cheaper to replace the plastic shield than the bag), and the plastic melted onto the muffler polished right off so it looks as good as new.

The hole in the bracket on the exhaust where the rubber stopper is missing looks like it's about 4mm. I plan to get a small bolt or something similar, and maybe try to isolate it a bit with some heat resistant washers of some description (similar to what is used on the two T25 torx bolts holding the shield on. Hopefully that will be a better solution than replacing it with another rubber stopper.

Rubber stopper on the RHS

missing stopper on the LHS

where the shield contacted the exhaust and melted.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #310
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Spam?
Nah, Giant Loop is actually on the forum as a vendor I believe. I have a Coyote and I'll back everything the poster your quoted says. Their product is really that good. For me the Coyote is big enough for a month long trip into the desert. If you want to pack more the Great Basin is an excellent option.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #311
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
I bought the Giant Loop Great Basin 55 litre bag last week for my Terra (until some pannier racks become available that I can use my Andy Strapz Expedition Panniers with). The bag fits perfectly on the bike, and the plastic heat shields are perfectly placed to keep the bag off the pipes.

where the shield contacted the exhaust and melted.
Please show photos of the bags on your Terra. That would be very helpful.

HF
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #312
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumbs to my dealer "Eurosport Ashville" toolkit in hand!

Ok so 1 day after complaining..(just a email asking really) about my TR not being delivered with a tool kit ...I get a email first from the owner...saying he'd sent a email. Then get a email from the parts mgr. saying Husky had agreed to send one....very next day another email saying my toolkit has been delivered.

Now this isn't a big deal to a lot of folks and while a tool kit should have been in the bike to began with...it's reassuring to me that I got action instead of lip service.

Just wanted to pass the word.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #313
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
I really like this idea......think I will do this mod on my bike. I keep seeming to jump it a lot.....water bars, ditches, around the track. This looks like good insurance. Excellent idea, 4-s-h!

HF
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #314
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Nah, Giant Loop is actually on the forum as a vendor I believe. I have a Coyote and I'll back everything the poster your quoted says. Their product is really that good. For me the Coyote is big enough for a month long trip into the desert. If you want to pack more the Great Basin is an excellent option.
Maybe in 'merica.

I think it is an option ...but imo not a serious one. i have loops and will get steel racks organised. Resting against plasique sucks balls - a cheap lazy fix. It is ok for light work, but big km desert stuff day after day - fuck that. Plazo meltdown.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:25 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #315
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Maybe in 'merica.

I think it is an option ...but imo not a serious one. i have loops and will get steel racks organised. Resting against plasique sucks balls - a cheap lazy fix. It is ok for light work, but big km desert stuff day after day - fuck that. Plazo meltdown.
I did literally 30 days straight of dirt in the SW US and Mexico with maybe 3 or 4 all pavement days, with a GL Coyote and there was no problem. It's not a lazy fix, it's a legitimate option, especially for hard terrain.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote