Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #376
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
More work completed on my Campfire Grill project today.

Why do I call it that? Because the whole idea started when I was staring at a (old) spare grill in my garage.

Anyway, found a piece of stainless steel in the dumpster at work this week…..I kid you not. Looks like it was a protective sheet for a shipping crate of some sort. Never dreamed buying a mig welder would turn me into a dumpster-diving scavenger rat.

The discarded sheet was perfect for adding on to my grill. I cut out a piece and formed it into this:

Then welded onto my grill like so:

Now, I've got wings and am ready to fly…

Complete oil line protection front and bottom. Notice I extended it long enough to cover the hole in the bottom of the Motosportz skid plate (directly beneath the oil line).

Final finishing required a trip to my paint lab…..which consists of a coat hanger suspended from a tree limb.

Voila!

Plenty of oil line protection now, I think.

Looks good to me….might look cobbled to you. I don't care, I like it.

AND I can finally stretch my legs out now…..because I want to!

Yes, of course I robbed the highway pegs off my Beemer....still keeping with the "rules".

HF

Special note: this was my first attempt at a welding project for my bike…EVER. Always had to take my stuff to someone else up until I bought myself a little mig welder about a month ago. Great fun! If I can do it, so can you.

Next up: racks for my Wolfman Expedition bags. I'm slowly building up the courage….as you can see.
Well done HF.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #377
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
HighFive. I suggest that you put fly wire or something similar across the front of the grill. The way it is at the moment you are asking for trouble if a stick flicks up and jams in there.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #378
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyred View Post
I'm really tempted to get a Terra.
Go for it, Fly! Nab one soon while its still got the pumped up G650GS motor. Its the best thing about it (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Good job HF.
Welcome to the fabrication world.
Thanks, RE. I'm an Engineer and been thinking up, drawing up, & hand fashioning parts all my life. But, I always had to beg, borrow, or buy final fabrication of hard parts. Man is it ever nice to finally be able to complete something on my own at the house! Should have done it years ago. Now, I've got a reason to wake up excited every day in my old age. Just need lathe, milling, bending, press, cutting, Tig, and….

Need to sell my F800 & buy a nice Plasma Cutter. Growing weary of hacksawing already.

Thanks for posting this pic:

Quote:
The top mount:
Very interesting approach. Does the plastic rack mount pass thru your plate or just pinch it flush against exterior? I know that rack has a necked down section to pass thru the bodywork and make hard contact with the subframe. Wondering how you resolved that? I was planning to build a steel boss like FabOne & KWebb did, but alas, I don't have a lathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Great work, HF. What welder did you get that helped you create this work of art as a welder newbie? Do you use gas with it?
Your words of encouragement are tempting me to make the MIG leap.
Hobart 140 Handler from my local Atwoods Farm & Ranch store….about $450. It only requires 110V and 20A circuit.

Yes, Argon gas mix…..definitely makes cleaner welds than the flux wire (I've learned). Brace yourself for sticker shock when you have to buy the bottle. They are rather proud of those metal spheres (the gas itself is cheap). Buy an Auto-Darkening face shield too. Spare yourself some grief and shorten the learning curve (unlike me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
HighFive. I suggest that you put fly wire or something similar across the front of the grill. The way it is at the moment you are asking for trouble if a stick flicks up and jams in there.
Appreciate the thought....keep them coming. I had a grill similar to this on my KLR for many hard years, and never encountered that problem. But it could happen, I suppose.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #379
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:

Thanks, RE. I'm an Engineer and been thinking up, drawing up, & hand fashioning parts all my life. But, I always had to beg, borrow, or buy final fabrication of hard parts. Man is it ever nice to finally be able to complete something on my own at the house! Should have done it years ago. Now, I've got a reason to wake up excited every day in my old age. Just need lathe, milling, bending, press, cutting, Tig, and….

Need to sell my F800 & buy a nice Plasma Cutter. Growing weary of hacksawing already.

Thanks for posting this pic:

HF[/COLOR]

Here is a mock up of the mount:

I have my college degree in welding and I am certified in MIG, TIG, and Flux Core processes. I also took ME classes for 3 years then switched to the business college because I realized I wasn't interested in building crap for other people, I wanted to build things for myself. I was a bonded and licensed contractor by the time I was 21, but ended up going with federal employment because I saw the market crashing back in '06. But I still fab stuff up every now and then.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #380
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Appreciate the thought....keep them coming. I had a grill similar to this on my KLR for many hard years, and never encountered that problem. But it could happen, I suppose.

HF
It's quite a common occurence here, sticks and small branches getting caught in the footpegs or under the bike somewhere. Different riding terrain I guess.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #381
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Here is a mock up of the mount:
Holy smokes, RE. Not too shaby.

Here's my CAD-less template for the more intricate components of my campfire grill:

I like mine better.....only because I got to eat the pizza!

HF
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #382
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
More work completed on my Campfire Grill project today.

Looks good to me….might look cobbled to you. I don't care, I like it.
I was a bit sceptical when you posted the original pics, but all painted, it doesn't look out of place on the Terra at all.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #383
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Can I find a better gear shift lever?

Third page! Holy Smokes

Guess nobody liked my pizza box templates.

Sheeeez…..hope may be lost for all mankind.

Well then, maybe you'll like this fancy $$$ option better.

I finally broke down and spent some money on my Terra. Very first farkle purchased with new money. The bone pile appears to be exhausted of viable options.

This is the Touratech adjustable length, folding tip, gear shift lever for the G650GS Sertao. Perfect fit (obviously) on the TR650. Beautiful piece that works like a charm!

With the TT adjustable footpegs (which I robbed off my F800), I had to do something with the shift lever. The TT pegs move down and forward from stock position……which is exactly what the Terra needed (for me, anyway). So, the gap between peg and stock lever tip was simply too small.

All good now, this options was a perfect solution. Here is why:

I also think the spline positions on this shifter (relative to the tip) might be slightly different than the stock piece. It seemed I couldn't get the stock lever quite where I wanted it…..too high or too low. While the TT piece came out with that "just right" position. Or, so it seems.

I just noticed it feels like its shifting smoother and more positive in the engagement. I was mis-shifting now & then with the stock piece (which is odd for me). But, that has not happened since installing this new lever a couple weeks ago.

I wasn't sure I would like it. But I found I like it very much. Gets two thumbs up from me!

HF
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #384
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 392
Great service..

No stupid question... Yet!

Wanted to say a few words about the service I have received from the local Husqvarna importer.

Got a nice trade-in deal in my old bike + $500 factory cash-back + accessories pack with my new Terra.

Sadly, the groovy coffee mug in my accessories pack arrived like this:

Fired off a quick email to the importer and received this a few days later:

Yeah, it was only a small thing and I certainly wasn't expecting a replacement item(s), but the email response and folow-up correspondence I received post-purchase were welcome.

Both the dealer and the importer seem to be going out of their way to make the new bike experience a pleasant one.

Good work Husqvarna Australia!

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #385
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just noticed it feels like its shifting smoother and more positive in the engagement.
Longer shift lever = more leverage also you are probably shifting up with your toe area now rather than more above the instep.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #386
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 141
Cardboard

On the contrary HighFive - I very much enjoyed your cardboard template response. Even showed it to my wife with a chuckle. Having come from a cheap ass KLR background I thought it was very clever.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #387
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
havin g come from a cheap ass klr background i thought it was very clever.
x2!
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #388
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
I too use the cardboard templates. They work well when you're having to do large size or intricate projects like bumpers.

I finally have the bike to the 'broken in' stage. I changed the oil @ 100 miles last week then again yesterday @ 800 miles.
No metal shavings to speak of, other than fine dust particles.

This bike has a good amount of power once you wind it up past 4500-5000 rpm.
But unfortunately I have a 1st batch bike and the lean conditions at throttle tip in are awful. The bike constantly wants to die at low rpms and technical parts of the trail are a pain in the ass because the bike will barely idle, and it has real bad lean knocking.
How have others fixed this? I understand I need to hooked up to a MOSS computer and then what?

The dealerships around here seem clueless about this problem. Do I tell them it needs to be reflashed or reset?

I hate having them say 'Oh yeah! We can fix that!' then drive hours over there and they look at me like I'm dumb.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #389
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

A Booster Plug might be the simplest, most effective solution for you.

Go read about it on BigDogAdventures.com and see what Mark did when experiencing same problem. You'll find it in his "Terra Buildup" section....several pages down. Though, I don't think you necessarily have to drill a hole into the airbox collector. I use one on my F800 GS and didn't have to do that.

Anyway, a good solution nonetheless. I may still add one to my own Terra as its had a tendency to die when charging hard & chopping off the throttle.

HF
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #390
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 55
MOSSive Difference

Hey Rugged,
I'd get it re-flashed before anything else. My bike was 2nd batch and ran pretty damn good to start with. After the MOSS treatment, the difference was amazing! Low-end response was way better and took away the stumble. Also, it's tendency to stall when carrying speed and grabbing the clutch-like when coasting to a stop light or charging hard in the dirt went away.Make sure and let the bike idle a few minutes w/o blipping the throttle when you start it too. One thing I remember while doing the MOSS was that it was re-mapping the idle settings.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote