Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #406
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
None that I'm aware, TDR. You'll probably need a custom job by an upholstry shop.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #407
Pablo Mac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Next weekend Bullitman281 and I are going to attempt to ride the US/MX border road from El Paso, TX, to San Diego, CA.
WOW! Please tell me you plan to share a full ride report, complete with pics and/or video of that trip! And a GPX file!

Have a safe but FUN adventure!
Pablo Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #408
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Mac View Post
WOW! Please tell me you plan to share a full ride report, complete with pics and/or video of that trip! And a GPX file!

Have a safe but FUN adventure!
I will. It's going to be interesting considering the far stretches between gas/water stops.

Speaking of which, how far has anyone gone on reserve on this bike? Anyone run out of gas yet?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #409
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I have the same feeling too. But when it snaps I'll have a reason to fab up my own rack.
Next weekend Bullitman281 and I are going to attempt to ride the US/MX border road from El Paso, TX, to San Diego, CA.
If its going to snap, it will definitely be on that trip
What did you figure out in AZ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #410
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
What did you figure out in AZ?
There are some closed areas due to animal mating season BS. But you need a pass (free) to go through the Goldwater bombing area.

I'm still deciding my route. We will only stray from the border road a little bit west of Nogales (due to terrain). The rest of the way we should have a decent border road to use for most of the way to CA.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #411
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Make your own oversized kickstand foot

I didn't feel like spending the money on one of these farkles, (especially since this sequestration BS went through and my salary got cut $35k).
I cut out a piece from some tubing, shaped it and welded it on.
Make sure it clears the swing arm, and take the kickstand off before weldinig (so you don't fry your computer).

Here is a teaser for my upcoming trip next weekend- How knobby of a tire can you put on the Terra?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #412
TerraNick23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I did some of the hardest off roading yet with my Terra today. I am still on Sahara tires. Took a slow speed dump, but my new touratech handguards didnt even get scratched. The new shift lever did get banged a bit, but it bent back, no drama. Folding tip definitely saved it.

It was wet, GA clay, steep, rocks, and roots, with a good channel running the length of the trail, like where water had come and cut out a V in the terrain. Very tricky stuff, combined with little traction offered from the Sahara tires, and it was testing at least my limits. I am not the most seasoned offroader mind you. However, after my bobble, I hopped back up, picked the bike up (no worries) and was off and on my way again. I really wish I had been gopro-ing the whole thing, it was some serious single track. But as I have always thought, some more offroad tires would be great for the machine. Anyways I am in love with the bike and cant wait for some days off of work to head to the North GA mtns and get on some Forrest roads and see how the thing does.

Unrelated to the above post, how has experience been with the chain and sprockets on the bike? I recently tightened my chain, only to see it has "stretched" again already. Bike has about 900 miles on it now. Just wondering if anybody has gotten to the point of replacing any of that stuff yet, and how much mileage you saw from the stock parts.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #413
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Not me...not yet, T-Nick. Stock chain & sprockets are performing fine, so far (approx 2,000 miles). When I do swap out, it will be a Supersprox on the rear for me, and a good X-ring chain.

My stock chain does not seem to be over-stretching in a bad way. But then, I prefer a looser chain versus a tighter one. So, that may be why. Maybe try giving it a little more slack, and see if the stretch rate slows down. I set tension to where I can push the bottom portion up to (just touching) the swingarm about 6 inches, or so, behind the rear brake master cylinder. Seems to be working fine.

HF
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #414
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 260
Posted this in Cafe Husky as well. Tired of waiting for some side-racks and better windscreen set-ups for my Terra. So I fabed some up.

Used solid 5/8th round stock for the hoops and solid 1/2" round for brackets.
painted and sidecases mounted

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Made up a raised windscreen with some aluminium sheet and a powerbronce windshield that i had available. Had to brace it due to height with some aluminium bar.

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

Windshield works like a charm, 80mph without any turbulence and headshake. Rather comfortable on the Freeway actually.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #415
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
What the frek HF....you holdin out on me! Your fabbing up cool stuff like hangergizmo's and a campfire grill apparatus and not telling us at the cafe! You don't like the food there or were you affraid we would do this .....or is it just that everyone knew about this but me? Nice work and I am glad I found this. I thought the only TR thread here was that other piece of....well you know. You've been busy here.....real busy. The grill apparatus is fantastic! You are well ready to build your racks and I am looking forward to it.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #416
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Well, better late than never, I reckon. With 40,000+ page views in 3 months, maybe you were the only one who didn't know, Fab1.

The general discussion Terra thread is kinda like the Happy-Hour Bar. Consider this Stupid Questions thread as the mechanic's shop, if you will.

Indeed, I'm ready to get down to business with my rack fabrication. But, I've been held hostage by the only friend I know in town with a lathe. Been waiting 3 weeks for him to make me those two simple steel bosses for the top mounting points.

I think that is the best way to anchor the top mount, which I've seen to date. However, I may have to revise my plan, as it's time to go camping!

HF
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #417
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Yes...better late than never! I did see that on the 40K views and that's crazy. If your lathe guy doesn't come through, let me know. We have left over stock from when Ken was here and they would take me about 15 min.. I will not be back in Divide for a couple days, so it would still be about 5 days out for you. If this is the only thing holding up any of you guys, just let me know. I can't do this for everything, but these are simple and enjoyable to make and requires almost no set up time...it would be my pleasure if it means you guys can get your racks built.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #418
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Wow...very kind of you, Fab1. I'll check in with him one more time and let you know. Super thanks for the offer! Be nice to get this project off center...

HF
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #419
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Anyone having issues with the coolant reservoir overflowing?

I wonder if there is too much coolant in my bike because it will occasionally leak fluid out from the cap...

Also I can't see the level in the sight gauge... maybe because its too high? But it also seems like the plastic isn't translucent enough to show anything.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #420
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Not me, RE. But, its pretty much been cold since I purchased mine in December. Though, I've run it plenty hard to make the fan cycle often.

Check your level carefully in the overflow reservoir. Also, make sure your fan is cycling on/off. If its not coming on, then make a jumper across the thermostat connection to be certain the fan will run. You could have a Thermostat problem.

Had to upgrade my Thermo on the Berg390 because I was puking fluids too frequently. Now, fan comes on sooner (at lower engine temp).....problem solved. Bought a different Thermo at NAPA Auto Parts, of all places.

Now then, onward to infinitely more important matters:

I finally received my (missing) toolkit today.

When we started this campaign…..of everyone calling their Dealer…..I thought it a dandy idea. Donnell's had sold several TR650's and never seen a toolkit with one. A few days later, they called me back to confirm everyone would be getting one sent to them soon. So, nice work guys!

It appears the spark plug wrench doubles as a Spanner extension…..like so:

The little double ended Torx wrenches are cool. Wish they were a bit longer for more grip & leverage.

Changing subjects……Touratech sent more their new 2013/2014 catalog, which arrived today.

Check out the front cover. Look closely...

The Terra is now officially immortalized!

Its gonna be around a long while. Bank on it.

TT is.

HF