Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #421
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
You can stick the short torx bit wrenches through the drilled end of the spark plug extension for more leverage.

My fan seems to come on really early, and the bikes gets stupid hot quickly. Even while starting it up in 20*F mornings it will shut itself off in a few minutes because it overheats. Also while going slowly down the trail the fan comes on really quick and the bike won't cool off until doing about 60mpg...

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #422
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 147
I had a problem checking the coolant level because the coolant is clear. Ended up working out that if I can put a finger in the reservoir and feel coolant then that's enough.

There was also a bubble in the cooling system which made its way to the thermostat & gave false overheating alerts. Run the bike with the radiator cap off (from cold) for a couple of minutes to clear the bubble. Since then, all perfect!
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #423
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

My fan seems to come on really early, and the bikes gets stupid hot quickly. Even while starting it up in 20*F mornings it will shut itself off in a few minutes because it overheats. Also while going slowly down the trail the fan comes on really quick and the bike won't cool off until doing about 60mpg...
I had an overheating issue that sounds similar.

I noticed the temp was way up and the warning light even came on as I was stationary after a period of trail riding. Also lost some coolant. It settled down to normal when I resumed riding to get more air through the radiator. I'm unsure if the fan was running and when it cuts in as I wear earplugs and can't normally hear it.

I'm worried now having read of your similar issue that this may be a problem with my Terra.

Has anyone else diagnosed this issue or spoken to their dealer about it?

I am mechanically inept, so any help or advice is appreciated. I love the bike so don't want it to be an ongoing issue.

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #424
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Mine got hot when new and did a squirt out the colant cap hole. Since then I have done about 4,000 km some in 40 plus temps - no issues. It seems to have settled down. The engine pumps some heat but is running cooler on the gauge now - dunno why
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #425
jmcg
Turpinated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Mine got hot when new and did a squirt out the colant cap hole. Since then I have done about 4,000 km some in 40 plus temps - no issues. It seems to have settled down. The engine pumps some heat but is running cooler on the gauge now - dunno why
Thanks for the info.

I'm kinda hoping it's a 'one-off' situation as my Terra is still very new..

'Coz I'm so mechanically challenged, I'm quite okay with problems that disappear never to re-surface

Hope this is the case, but will chat to the dealer as a precaution and keep an eye on the temps until then.

Cheers,

JM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #426
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
I noticed the temp was way up and the warning light even came on as I was stationary after a period of trail riding. Also lost some coolant. It settled down to normal when I resumed riding to get more air through the radiator. I'm unsure if the fan was running and when it cuts in as I wear earplugs and can't normally hear it.
I had a similar issue. Shortly after I bought my Terra I took it back to the dealer because it appeared to be down on coolant ( though it's almost impossible to see the coolant level in the overflow bottle through the viewing window even though the coolant is very dark blue colour - WTF were husky thinking ?). They added approx 50ml to bring it up to the max line. Took my Terra in for it's 1000km service a few weeks later and when I was riding it home from the shop (peak hr traffic) I noticed that the temp gauge was showing about 3/4. Prior to this it had never gone over 1/2. Next day i started it from cold at home. Within about 3 mins of stationary idling the fan came on. About a minute later the warning light flashed and the gauge showed 1/1.

Took it back to the dealer. He put it on MOSS but no fault codes. He says the cooling system wasn't touched in the 1000km service. Noted that when the warning light comes on, the fan blows cold air and the fan side of the radiator is cold but the side with the cap and the hoses is hot. Indicates the thermostat not opening I think. He took the radiator cap off and the water level is low in the radiator even though there is still coolant in the overflow.

Topped up about 200ml of coolant into the radiator and reclosed it (total cooling capacity is only a tad over 1 litre I think so this is significantly low). Since then it's run fine and the cooling operates normally and the fan cuts in/out as it should. There was no obvious sign of any coolant leakage during the first 1000km. Still puzzled where the coolant went and how it got so low in the radiator without drawing back from the overflow bottle.

Your issue sounds very similar. I'd check if the thermostat is not opening (fan blowing cold air as in my case) and then check the coolant level in the radiator.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #427
jmcg
Turpinated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post

Your issue sounds very similar. I'd check if the thermostat is not opening (fan blowing cold air as in my case) and then check the coolant level in the radiator.
Thanks for the advice.

I will check it out when I go for a spin later in the week.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

JM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #428
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Sounds very characteristic of low fluid in the radiator. And Nev describes same situation. It was my first thought. Pull the cap and top it off to base of filler neck. And re-check after you ride.

I had to top off my radiator fluid level.....noticed it was below the internal fins. But this was something I did during my first few days when I was getting acquainted with the horse. It's a big radiator, and seems to trap air. Had to fill and wait....fill and wait....shake the bike around a bit....fill a little more. Re-checked my level a couple weeks later and added a little bit more. A month later, it was holding same full level....and still full today.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #429
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
overheating

I'm getting close to 4,000 miles on mine----one time an overheating issue reared it's ugly head---just for a bit and has never returned.

It was 40F outside------I was riding about 60mph on pavement coming home in the dark on a long day ride.
I pulled a little ways off the main road to pee--------I hardly got off the bike when the hot warning light came on--------no way was this normal in those ambient temperatures, and I immediately noticed that something wasn't right about this.

When I finished my job I also saw the temp gauge off the charts.

I immediately took off to put some air on the radiator----even in the 40 air it struggled to get back to normal but finally did and I haven't had it happen again----I don't think the fan was running.

My take---or guess on what happened-------- I think the thermostat stuck and no water was being circulated thru the radiator.
And this would cause the fan not to run since the fan sensor is in the radiator. Coolant level is fine and no coolant was lost.

That's my story and i'm stikin' to it. I've ridden in much hotter weather since then ----sometimes poking along slowly on a tight trail in first gear---------it's been fine ever since that one time.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #430
jmcg
Turpinated..

Thanks HF and BigDog!

Will follow your advice and check the coolant level carefully.

Cheers,

JM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #431
jmcg
Turpinated..

Re overheating issue..

Dropped into the dealer today and had them check over the bike.

When I got there, parked and let the bike idle for a minute.

Fan came on pretty quickly and the temp on the gauge shot up.

Relayed my issues to the mechanic.

Apparently the coolant level in the radiator was below the level of the thermostat even though the reservoir was still at level.. Topped up the coolant in the radiator and replaced the radiator cap in case the issue was with the cap valve/spring.

The mechanic couldn't offer any explanation as to why the coolant was down in the radiator.

Rode home and let the bike idle again for a few minutes.

Fan doesn't cut in as early, and when it does, it goes for a short time and the temps stay normal on the gauge.

500km's until 1st service, so will keep checking.

I know I probably could have done this, but I prefer to get a professional to look at it rather breaking things myself

Pleased with the dealer's response and prompt service so far.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out here with advice and explanations. I'll let you know if there are any further issues.

BTW, the more I ride this bike, the more I love it!

Cheers,

JM.

jmcg screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:25 PM
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #432
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

I know this is dumb.... But how do you get the radiator cap off?

I started opening mine after it had cooled for a while, and as soon as the seal opened, fluid started pouring out of the reservoir pressure relief cap.

No matter how I turn the radiator cap it doesn't want to come off and I don't want to break it right before my trip.

Edit:
Bullitman281 said I should try pressing it down and unscrewing it.
Makes sense, but its hard getting my fat shrek-like hand in there. I'll try it tomorrow after work.

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #433
jmcg
Turpinated..

Quote:
I know this is dumb.... But how do you get the radiator cap off?
Not dumb at all.

Haven't actually tried it myself.

Will give it a try when mine cools off a bit more and report back.

JM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #434
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,187
I've had a few bikes that were prone to overheating from new, once you burped the cooling system of entrained air they were fine. Simple as letting it idle to temperature and watching the air bubble out with the cap off - and it can take a while to get all the air bubbles out. Keep a bottle of coolant handy to top it off as the air bubbles itself out...

I wonder what bar the radiator cap is rated? I've had three XR650R's and their stock 1.2 bar cap was known to allow an easy boil over on slow trail rides.
The most common XR650R "upgrade" is to install a 1.8 bar radiator cap off a KX500. That bike does come with a catch tank so no coolant is lost, it will siphon back into the system as it cools.

I only brought my TR home this afternoon and have not had a chance to dig into it much and see if there's a catch tank, etc.

I rode thru traffic on the way back - did not run hot, gauge stayed near 1/2 or slightly past. Wasn't really paying attention as it appeared to have plenty of unused gauge to the right. I'll keep an eye on coolant level after reading this thread.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #435
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've had a few bikes that were prone to overheating from new, once you burped the cooling system of entrained air they were fine. Simple as letting it idle to temperature and watching the air bubble out with the cap off - and it can take a while to get all the air bubbles out. Keep a bottle of coolant handy to top it off as the air bubbles itself out...

I wonder what bar the radiator cap is rated? I've had three XR650R's and their stock 1.2 bar cap was known to allow an easy boil over on slow trail rides.
The most common XR650R "upgrade" is to install a 1.8 bar radiator cap off a KX500. That bike does come with a catch tank so no coolant is lost, it will siphon back into the system as it cools.

I only brought my TR home this afternoon and have not had a chance to dig into it much and see if there's a catch tank, etc.

I rode thru traffic on the way back - did not run hot, gauge stayed near 1/2 or slightly past. Wasn't really paying attention as it appeared to have plenty of unused gauge to the right. I'll keep an eye on coolant level after reading this thread.
Mine gets hot enough to shut itself off after idling for five minutes in 22*F.
It also pukes out of the reservoir cap often (no catch tank). It looks like a proprietary cap so I'm not sure if there is anything else to switch it out with. But I will try burping it today after work to see if that fixes it.

We need to develop a list of things for new owners to look out for. So far we have:
-Lean mixture (MOSS fix)
-Air in coolant system (Burping fix)
-Brake light stays on (Still haven't tackled this myself but someone else on here did)
-Rear fender cracking (Tail dong needs removed /lightened)

Anything else?