User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #436
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Fan

I have 1200 miles on my TR and I don't remember my fan ever comming on. It's been cold here in east TN ..but I have put some fairly aggressive miles on the bike. It's idled for 10 minutes or so and the temp gauge may just touch 1/2 or a bit more on the gauge. I know when the Moss was done a few weeks back the dealer had the bike idle for a good bit. I would think if a bike shuts off after a short idle time in cold weather...something wrong! Maybe a couple of air bubbles that fools the sensor into thinking the bikes burning up?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #437
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 54
Brake Light fix

We need to develop a list of things for new owners to look out for. So far we have:
-Lean mixture (MOSS fix)
-Air in coolant system (Burping fix)
-Brake light stays on (Still haven't tackled this myself but someone else on here did)
-Rear fender cracking (Tail dong needs removed /lightened)

Anything else?[/QUOTE]

Hey Rugged, here's a link to some pics. Simple fix. Cheers,
http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/if-...e-light.29590/
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #438
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Perhaps the over heating is caused by an air bubble in the coolest circuit.
Seems the symptom point to that.

Regards, Paul
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #439
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
One of the first things I did on both my Husky's was to drain, flush and fill the cooling system. Why? Because nobody could tell me for sure what kind of coolant was in it. Regardless, on refill I made sure to circulate the coolant and purge air from the system. No overheating issues so far, but Summer is coming!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #440
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
One of the first things I did on both my Husky's was to drain, flush and fill the cooling system. Why? Because nobody could tell me for sure what kind of coolant was in it. Regardless, on refill I made sure to circulate the coolant and purge air from the system. No overheating issues so far, but Summer is coming!
No doubt! I hvae to do this today, because tomorrow we start the first leg of our journey and will be going from the high 20's to mid 90's around Yuma. I can't have this thing frying on me in the middle of nowhere.

On a side note, I'm going to try and get that knobby tire on the rear today after work and get pics up.
How long do you guys think this tire (http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=M12xc) will last?
It will be a mix of mainly dirt, rock, sand, small stretches of pavement and hiway. 1500-1600 miles most likely.

Should I haul along my Sahara just in case?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #441
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I have 1200 miles on my TR and I don't remember my fan ever comming on. It's been cold here in east TN ..but I have put some fairly aggressive miles on the bike. It's idled for 10 minutes or so and the temp gauge may just touch 1/2 or a bit more on the gauge. I know when the Moss was done a few weeks back the dealer had the bike idle for a good bit. I would think if a bike shuts off after a short idle time in cold weather...something wrong! Maybe a couple of air bubbles that fools the sensor into thinking the bikes burning up?
My fan turned on for the first time on Monday. The bike was idling in 70 degree weather and I was stopped at a light. I jumped, it scared me. Strange new noises from a new bike can do that, especially on your first liquid cooled bike. :eek:

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #442
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

Should I haul along my Sahara just in case?
No way! You should be fine with it. Unless it starts chunking knobs at 75mph along the hot pavement. If so, slow down....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #443
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,850
I asked the sales guy if the TR had a 'hop up' kit like my previous TE's did.... O2 sensor replaced with plug, etc.

He said there is a reflash of the ECU they can do, but recommend putting on some miles first to break it in.
That stuff is usually a hot topic in brand specific threads - I haven't run across it yet. What's the word?

Throttle response off idle is pretty fluffy until it's good and warm - though I'm completely ready to put that to it being a spanking new motor that hasn't had many heat cycles run thru it yet.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #444
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

On the way home today while hauling ass down the old railroad bed at 60-70, the bike got really hot. After I stopped for a second to open up some gates, the warning light came on.

When I got home I let it cool then took the cap off the radiator.
I poured in a good amount of fluid, let it run for a minute or two then shut it off to cool down again. While running it was burping out air bubbles.

A few cycles of this and I got most of the air out of the system. The bike seems to idle fine now without the fan coming on almost immediately. You would think the shops setting up these bikes would do this... what the hell did I pay for with that 'assembly' charge?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #445
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
No way! You should be fine with it. Unless it starts chunking knobs at 75mph along the hot pavement. If so, slow down....

HF
I hope you're right. This tire seems much harder than the Sahara... hope that means it lasts longer.
I haven't even had my Terra a month yet and the Sahara is wearing down. Going on 1600 miles already!

The bike sure looks more aggressive though:

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow on the 'pre-run' portion of the trip over to El Paso

Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #446
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Alright RE! . Looking forward to a ride report!
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #447
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I hope you're right. This tire seems much harder than the Sahara... hope that means it lasts longer.
I haven't even had my Terra a month yet and the Sahara is wearing down. Going on 1600 miles already!

The bike sure looks more aggressive though:

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow on the 'pre-run' portion of the trip over to El Paso
RE I'm loving your rides. Still have a temp tag on and your groovin a gnarly knob and riding the piss out of her. Can't wait for your ride report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #448
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Run that tire till its a slick!

I've run a D606 until you could barely see a knobby outline remaining.....when I had to. Never gave me a problem.

Most people change tires much sooner than they really need. Sure, fresh knobs are always better, but I've taken many a good tire off the hands of someone who said it was worn out and useless.....when more than half the knobs remained (and raced on it).

So I'll run one bald before versus hauling spare rubber (on a bike this size), given the choice. It ain't like you're running unsupported thru Mongolia on this trip. I am not familiar with the particular tire you have chosen....have no idea how it wears. Just sayin most any tire should be able to survive a 1,600 mile excursion.

Adios amigo

Laissez les bons temps rouler

River-dirt-chi

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:37 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #449
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
RE I'm loving your rides. Still have a temp tag on and your groovin a gnarly knob and riding the piss out of her. Can't wait for your ride report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
Ha! I knew someone would appreciate the paper tag. The dealer said its good for 90 days so I might as well take advantage of that, not like they're going to run out of plates at the DMV.

My Meanstreak had 12k miles on it within the first 6 months that I bought it. Then I moved an hour closer to work for a few years. Now that I moved an hour away in the other direction (no carpools out here in BFE), it looks like the Terra is going to get the same treatment.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #450
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Run that tire till its a slick!

I've run a D606 until you could barely see a knobby outline remaining.....when I had to. Never gave me a problem.

Most people change tires much sooner than they really need. Sure, fresh knobs are always better, but I've taken many a good tire off the hands of someone who said it was worn out and useless.....when more than half the knobs remained (and raced on it).

So I'll run one bald before versus hauling spare rubber (on a bike this size), given the choice. It ain't like you're running unsupported thru Mongolia on this trip. I am not familiar with the particular tire you have chosen....have no idea how it wears. Just sayin most any tire should be able to survive a 1,600 mile excursion.

Adios amigo

Laissez les bons temps rouler

River-dirt-chi

HF
Thanks for the advice.

My main concern is mesquite thorns once the knobbiness is gone. I probably won't be doing much over 70 on the way home and will be using as little pavement as possible. Bullitman281 wants to check out Tombstone on the way home (if we make it that far) so I'm sure there's going to be some pavement pounding around there.

The mesquite thorns out here are horrendous but the slime does a great job fighting them off.

River-dirt-chi!
I love that movie.