ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #451
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Oddometer: 104
TR650 debadge

Ugh...so I have been envious of those of you that removed (or maybe bought new plastics to do a color change and they were bare) the factory TR650 graphics. Just now I pulled out the hair dryer and heated up the right side "TR650" decal and began to remove it. Well low and behold Husky had applied a clear coat over the body panel AFTER attaching the decal ! Now my right side has a huge patch of non-glossy plastic that is way larger (above and below) than the decal


So my master plan was to take the TR to the local car vinyl wrap shop tomorrow to have custom graghics (SM650 tank-ish) created for the TR but now I have to re-think everything


It looks like now I may as well paint the graphics on since I need to re-clear the entire panel anyways.

I REALLY did not want to ruin the factory finish


kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #452
davorallyfan
Commonist
 
davorallyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Capitalist
Oddometer: 15,332
The air filter access might be of some value?
Good luck with the accent

__________________
7th Day Adventourist.
Terrafied
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #453
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
Ugh...so I have been envious of those of you that removed (or maybe bought new plastics to do a color change and they were bare) the factory TR650 graphics. Just now I pulled out the hair dryer and heated up the right side "TR650" decal and began to remove it. Well low and behold Husky had applied a clear coat over the body panel AFTER attaching the decal ! Now my right side has a huge patch of non-glossy plastic that is way larger (above and below) than the decal


So my master plan was to take the TR to the local car vinyl wrap shop tomorrow to have custom graghics (SM650 tank-ish) created for the TR but now I have to re-think everything


It looks like now I may as well paint the graphics on since I need to re-clear the entire panel anyways.

I REALLY did not want to ruin the factory finish


Interesting. My dealer pulled my tank decals off, so I don't know what is involved, but it only took him a few minutes and there is no sign that it was ever there. I can't imagine applying the clear coat after applying the decal. That makes no sense, and nobody else seems to have run into that. Perhaps a little buffing will smooth it?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #454
BigJimWA
n00b
 
BigJimWA's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
I had a similar issue. Shortly after I bought my Terra I took it back to the dealer because it appeared to be down on coolant ( though it's almost impossible to see the coolant level in the overflow bottle through the viewing window even though the coolant is very dark blue colour - WTF were husky thinking ?). They added approx 50ml to bring it up to the max line. Took my Terra in for it's 1000km service a few weeks later and when I was riding it home from the shop (peak hr traffic) I noticed that the temp gauge was showing about 3/4. Prior to this it had never gone over 1/2. Next day i started it from cold at home. Within about 3 mins of stationary idling the fan came on. About a minute later the warning light flashed and the gauge showed 1/1.

Took it back to the dealer. He put it on MOSS but no fault codes. He says the cooling system wasn't touched in the 1000km service. Noted that when the warning light comes on, the fan blows cold air and the fan side of the radiator is cold but the side with the cap and the hoses is hot. Indicates the thermostat not opening I think. He took the radiator cap off and the water level is low in the radiator even though there is still coolant in the overflow.

Topped up about 200ml of coolant into the radiator and reclosed it (total cooling capacity is only a tad over 1 litre I think so this is significantly low). Since then it's run fine and the cooling operates normally and the fan cuts in/out as it should. There was no obvious sign of any coolant leakage during the first 1000km. Still puzzled where the coolant went and how it got so low in the radiator without drawing back from the overflow bottle.

Your issue sounds very similar. I'd check if the thermostat is not opening (fan blowing cold air as in my case) and then check the coolant level in the radiator.
Staying with the spirit of the thread... What temp gauge are you talking about? I haven't found mine. Christ I hate being an idiot but I should be used to it by now
__________________
-- BigJim
It's MY fantasy; My rules...so piss off!
Husqvarna TE650 Terra
Harley 1200N
BigJimWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #455
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,177
Hit the M button on your digital dash. It will scroll through the different readouts under the speed on the speedometer. The big gauge of bars is engine temp.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #456
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Hit the M button on your digital dash. It will scroll through the different readouts under the speed on the speedometer. The big gauge of bars is engine temp.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
the bar graph is there no matter what the other displays are set to read though, right?
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #457
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,177
Doh! You're right.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #458
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Oddometer: 104
Silicone hose set

In response to an email I sent to Samco yesterday.....

"Hi, This is a kit we would consider bringing onto production but we do not yet have it available.

If we had demand for say 10 + kits and a donor set of hoses we could definitely do something. If you were able to donate the original hoses as templates for the factory to keep and be the one to help generate theinterest through means of a forum or owners club we could supply your set foc in exchange for efforts. The tooling cost is quite high so we need tohave this minimum order to justify the start up costs. If you can initiate we can of course handle all the customers names and payments etc. We would need the pre-orders and interest 1st though to validate the tooling costs.It will take around 6 weeks for 1st off production, we would not have a price until we had a set of hoses but always a fair price just depends onhow many hoses and complexity. Let me know and look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards Richard "

I willing to sacrifice my ride for 6 weeks of R&D if 10 people are interested.

Also, Motor Hoses emailed me back but said they were at a show in Daytona and would let me know if they are interested once they return home. I will let you know what they say.

So, anyone interested in some high quality virtually indestructible silicone silicone hoses. They come in many colors....mine will be red :-P
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #459
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer
 
hansi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: State of Jefferson
Oddometer: 255
Don't know if it got covered here or not. So please forgive my stupid question: Will the BMW 650 Sertao oil filter work on the Terra/Strada?
__________________
2013 Husqvarna TR 650 Terra
Never let your love run cold
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #460
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Don't know if it got covered here or not. So please forgive my stupid question: Will the BMW 650 Sertao oil filter work on the Terra/Strada?
Yes-----the motors are identical.

I just changed my filter for the first time---a bit of a messy job----no good place for the old oil to go when you pull the cover off.
It took a bit more than 2 qts. with the filter change.

BigDog
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #461
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer
 
hansi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: State of Jefferson
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Yes-----the motors are identical.

I just changed my filter for the first time---a bit of a messy job----no good place for the old oil to go when you pull the cover off.
It took a bit more than 2 qts. with the filter change.

BigDog

Thanks, BigDog.
Just coming up on the 1000 mile oil change and its time to order a filter. Been eyeballing the KN 151 for the Sertao on ebay .
When I changed the oil the first time the bike took 2 liters and 250 ml (250 ml=1/2pint) to get to the upper mark on the dipstick warm. Figure having to add the additional amount of oil because I pulled the bike upright of the sidestand while draining the oil?
Just passed 900 miles on the odometer today. Bike seems to be running stronger every mile, I think the exhaust note has changed a bit too.
Really impressed what this great little bike can do- on and off the road.
Got a good bit of power improvement from this boosterplug http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841919, courtesy of the "Wuka King"since I installed it at 300 miles.
Thought I would miss the 105hp of my Triumph Tiger 955i a lot, but to the contrary I enjoy riding my Terra way more. Tons of grin factor.
__________________
2013 Husqvarna TR 650 Terra
Never let your love run cold
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #462
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,857
my stupid question of the day:



when did torx fasteners completely take over ?


my offroad tool kit just went thru some changes
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #463
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Thanks, BigDog.
Just coming up on the 1000 mile oil change and its time to order a filter. Been eyeballing the KN 151 for the Sertao on ebay .
When I changed the oil the first time the bike took 2 liters and 250 ml (250 ml=1/2pint) to get to the upper mark on the dipstick warm. Figure having to add the additional amount of oil because I pulled the bike upright of the sidestand while draining the oil?
Just passed 900 miles on the odometer today. Bike seems to be running stronger every mile, I think the exhaust note has changed a bit too.
Really impressed what this great little bike can do- on and off the road.
Got a good bit of power improvement from this boosterplug http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841919, courtesy of the "Wuka King"since I installed it at 300 miles.
Thought I would miss the 105hp of my Triumph Tiger 955i a lot, but to the contrary I enjoy riding my Terra way more. Tons of grin factor.
Very interesting installing the Booster Plug on your Strada. Could you elaborate please, what did it do to milege? and can you talk a little more about the power increase.

Thanks
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #464
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 3,057
Do they check and adjust if needed the valves at the 600 mile service?

BTW, the Strada is fantastic playing go fast on some of these twisty roads up here. I stayed with a guy on a Kaw 1400 Ninga and a guy on his K1300S, the lean angle on this bike is amazing. I find that I am in full WFO mode on some of these fine mountain roads. Only have hit the rev limiter once, but spend a lot of time between 6 and 7.5 K R's. . this little wonder really hauls ass.
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #465
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,604
Regarding Torx fasteners, I'm not sure when....but 2010 F800GS was the first bike which I had them on. Then, my 2011 Husaberg came with them.

At first, I was bummed about it because I had to buy new tools for them. Then, I realized....Hey, I get to buy new tools

Now, I like them better than any other fasteners. They grip the tool superbly and don't seem prone to stripping or wearing out. Plus, there are only 2 or 3 sizes (typically) across the entire bike. It's changed my thinking....and the size of my onboard toolkit.

I carry a ratcheting screwdriver-type wrench with the bits stored inside the handle......and little else.

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '71 Honda CL70
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014