Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #496
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
These are Andy Strapz frames. Keep in mind that he's designing them to be used only with the Andy Strapz Expedition panniers he makes, which by design bear the weight of the panniers through the straps over the pillion seat and only use the frames to push the bags away from the pipes and the wheel. Having only the two mounting points might not protect the pipe if you lay the bike over with great force, but should be adequate for normal use.
I agree.

It's my experience that Andy's products are good quality and fit for the purpose they are designed for. I would purchase the pannier frames with the knowledge that they are not designed to provide substantial protection in the event of a crash.

Then again, if you throw anything at the ground hard enough, you're likely to bend a few things and more mounting points and rigid structures attached means that the force of the impact may be transferred to other points on the bike.

If I tip the bike over, such is life. It's likely to be operator error anyway No amount of crash protection is gonna fix that!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

JM.

jmcg screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 10:49 AM
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #497
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Time to get back to some Terra-bizness. Work has swamped me with far away travels lately. I'm looking forward to some "Me" time…..and a bit warmer weather would not be unwelcome. After a warmer than normal winter, we've had some nasty Oklahoma windy cold conditions. It even snowed a little bit here today.

After much riding and further thought, I just couldn't stand it any longer. I wanted black handlebars on my Terra! It just seems sooooo right.

Besides, I really needed to put the Beemer bars back on my F800GS. It was pretty pathetic looking for 3 months with no handlebars on it. Not to mention, its been rather challenging to ride.

I love Pro Taper Evo bars, and I chose the Woods High bend, which is the tallest height & most pullback in their lineup, I think. Sounds like a lot, but its not. Their models are fairly close in measurements….the differences are small. Even so, the Terra, for me, needed some lift.

This bar along with the Motosportz tall risers feels perfect to me now. The F800GS bars were a bit tall (with the MZ Riser) and had too much pullback for the Terra. I like it….a relaxed & comfortable feel, but the Evo feels even better. It has a more neutral (parallel to the ground) bar end at the grips. All the Evos are like this….a flat, level, bar-end. Many after-market handlebars have more up-sweep at the bar end. I don't get along well with that design. It makes my elbows sore. Just me, maybe.

Little by little…

HF
Looks like you were able to use that Kaoko throttle lock thingy too! I really really want one but they seem to be bike specific and I want to change out the bars and get risers too. Is that one a generic application Kaoko or is it recycled from your Beemer bars?
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #498
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
The local guy in OZ is making these. Only two mounting points by the looks. Me no likey.
If you are using a soft bag that has over-the-seat straps to take the vertical loads, this should be fine. Happy-Trail has only two attachments on many of its SL racks like this KLR 650 rack http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/SL...k-KLR650E.aspx.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #499
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
Looks like you were able to use that Kaoko throttle lock thingy too! I really really want one but they seem to be bike specific and I want to change out the bars and get risers too. Is that one a generic application Kaoko or is it recycled from your Beemer bars?
Good eye....excellent question!

NOT the same unit from my F800....which has a threaded bar mount. This was the most contentious part of changing my bars out. I HAD to have one of these Kaoko's on my Terra. . Yup...it's that nice.

I had to sift thru a few until I nailed down the winning combination. The guys at Touratech are pretty good to work with, but a bit tunnel-visioned on this subject. They had a difficult time getting past "what bike is it for" and accepting the notion that I'm not using OEM stock bars. But in the end, we sorted it out together.

Buy the Kaoko Cruise Lock for the BMW HP2......Part # 330-0004

It fits a handlebar with 14mm ID (Pro Taper Evo & many others).

Perfect fit and works like a charm! The lock is quite failsafe and simply screws against the end of your throttle tube as a friction lock. FYI....for those who might not know how it works.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #500
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Well, after 2k+ rough ass miles (jumps, washboards and hell), I finally had an issue with my Rotopax mount setup:

It may have been Highfive, or someone else, but they could foresee the rack having problems. They were kinda right.

The rack didn't give it up, but the factory mounting hardware did.

Today on my way home from work I noticed that my Rotopax seemed a little flighty /likely to abscond. So when I got home I took a closer look and noticed that the back right torx fastener was backed out and loose. So I proceeded to take it off to put some loc-tite on and crank it down. To my surprise it was broken.

So grab a beer and start taking the rack off, fully anticipating having to drill and tap for new threads.

Luckily I got it backed out by spraying it with penetrating oil and tapping it counterclockwise with a flathead and a hammer.
Little known fact: BMW mounting hardware is made out of cheese:
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #501
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #502
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

HF
Yes yes. Laugh it up.

My wife is going to pick up new hardware for me (maybe grade 5 or 8?) while she's in town tomorrow.

Now do I take the Terra without a rack to work tomorrow or fire up the Meanstreak...
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #503
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
If you are using a soft bag that has over-the-seat straps to take the vertical loads, this should be fine. Happy-Trail has only two attachments on many of its SL racks like this KLR 650 rack http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/SL...k-KLR650E.aspx.

Yeah you are right up to a point. I reckon 500 odd k of decent corragations fuly loaded bags might sort them - easily fixed though and you end only up with a melted shrouds - no biggie. I spoke to Andy S a few weeks ago at the Pinch River and he said he was making them up. I think they will be fine for light duties.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #504
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,784
Stupid Questions

The seat sucks I am still in pain from the weekend - anyone fixed it?

Crash bars / rad protection anything out there?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #505
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
SW Motech.

Altrider ones look the biz.

Prototypes were shown in a thread not too long ago.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #506
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Stupid Questions

The seat sucks I am still in pain from the weekend - anyone fixed it?

Crash bars / rad protection anything out there?
Strangely, I find this to be the most comfortable factory seat ever. Nevertheless, Seat Concepts makes a good option on the aftermarket, They'll even do red stitching for you.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...57&id=20329008

Here is a picture installed (From K. Webb over on CafeHusky's Terraformers thread)

AltRider has bars in production. They'll likely get to you faster than SW-Motech right now. They are already doing pre-orders and a lot of guys have jumped on the wagon. I'm waiting for the matte black ones myself.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...da/pcid/1085-1

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #507
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
AltRider has bars in production. They'll likely get to you faster than SW-Motech right now. They are already doing pre-orders and a lot of guys have jumped on the wagon. I'm waiting for the matte black ones myself.
I have a set of AltRider bars on order from the manufacturer (not their Aussie reseller) when they start shipping, which is expected in about 4 weeks so call it 5 weeks incl delivery. SW motech have some in the pipeline but they won't sell direct and so only available via the reseller in Australia. A few weeks ago they quoted me estimated arrival time of 12 weeks on the slow boat from Europe, so call it 9 weeks + delivery from WA.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #508
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Now do I take the Terra without a rack to work tomorrow or fire up the Meanstreak...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #509
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Strangely, I find this to be the most comfortable factory seat ever.
I believe davo is coming from a DR with corbin, hard to beat that seat

Seat concepts are the best, priced reasonably and much better than stock.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #510
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,220
That Seat Concepts seat looks like it would be very comfortable. That would be great on my Strada.

Nice looking Mean Streak BTW, how do you like it?
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote