Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #556
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Where are you guys getting parts numbers from?

I usually use a parts fiche exploded diagram to figure out how to take things complicated assemblies apart and put them back together.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #557
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Where are you guys getting parts numbers from?

I usually use a parts fiche exploded diagram to figure out how to take things complicated assemblies apart and put them back together.
Try here http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/a...3TR650part.pdf
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #558
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Thank you!

Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #559
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
New tires--and High Five Rear Rack

I'm thinking I got about 3,800 mile on it and decided to put some new tires on the Terra.
Stock tires broke down with my bare hands--------very easy to get off.
I wanted something more aggressive and had the money for the tires I wanted to put on it---------a TKC 80 on the front and a Heidenau on the rear.
So why did I put on 2 Pirelli MT-21's you ask ???????????
Cause they were free that's why----my son gave them to me when he quit riding---and guess what ??? I got 2 more---Awesome !!!!
He bought them for his TE610 that he sold.

Some other very important things I do when putting on a new tire at home-------check the wheels bearings and spoke tension.
Checking the spoke tension at this mileage is very important---later on not so much after they have settled in.
Also----take note that yes the real wheel has a cush hub.
The little bearing you see on the sprocket side looks pretty tiny---but fear not there is another in the sprocket hub--it's much bigger.
The KLR has the same set up.
How much torque did I put on the spokes you ask ???? An experienced old man's seat of the pants feel--that's how much.
I put about an 1/8 of a turn on each spoke----felt just right.

This is the front wheel---a bearing---and the spacer on the disk side.
I thought this really weird------there is no seal protecting the bearing---I'm not sure I've ever seen this ??
Yes the bearing is sealed---but there is always a seal on the outside of it ????

And my good buddy High Five gave me this nice rear plastic rack he made himself to mount over my stock rack.
Lot's more platform to mount a dry bag--------really nice---and it was free !!!!!

I got free tires--------and a free rack--------it's not what you know---------it's who you know.

However---the KLIM Badlands suit was not free

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 11:19 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #560
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,051
Got the Terra out for an honest dual sport ride. Escalante Canyon is about thirty or forty miles of 65 mph highway away from my front door.
Did about 90 miles on dirt roads, from groomed, to jeepy rough stuff, to a little bit of single/double track atv stuff. Finished off with some hill climbs in Peach Valley on the way home.

I LOVE this bike the more I explore on it. It gobbles up highway and works very well at an appropriate pace off road. The motor is awesome. Smooth as silk, lugs along on the technical stuff, and has just enough poke to lift the front over whoops and stuff.

It sinks like a rock in snow melt mud though... Maybe real knobs will chew their way through it better than the otherwise very capable 80/20's.

Picture in the Canyon looking back toward Grand Mesa... Oh and I don't care if you see my plate number, maybe that way when you see the lower half on the trail you can send it back to me.

wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #561
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
I put an MT21 on too MrDog I actually paid for mine AU$90. Running a Mitas EO7 rear. I am finding the MT21 wanders a bit at speed over 130kph the stocky didnt. Yeah the sahara front came off real easy. Pics from yesterday Mt Coree ACT/NSW.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 03:18 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #562
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Got Racks?

A little closer…

almost welding time!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #563
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,047
BigDog, can't wait to hear your report on the pirellis. I have a pair waiting on me at home, for the Terra. I need to slap them on in the next week for my next offroad trip.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #564
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
A little closer…

almost welding time!

HF
H5, racks are coming along good....keep it coming. Yours and all the other DIY racks have me inspired to build them. Right now time is the factor and Berg told me he would have them ready by the end of April so I may just go that route.

Which windscreen do you have on the Terra? I don't recall seeing that posted.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #565
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Impressive….gunner. That's a keen eye you have there.

Yeah, I'm still jacking around with windscreen options. I tried 3 ways to Sunday with my old Cee Bailey KLR shield (shown early in this thread). Trimmed it, drilled it, grooved it and never got satisfied. It did a fantastic job blocking air off my body all the way up to my head. But, there was simply too much dirty air coming over the top drumming on my head at highway speeds.

Then, I played around with the Trash Can mod….a la Big Dog. But never found my happy place. I'm terribly picky, it seems.

Now, I'm trying this National Cycle version that I purchased for my son's bike, a few moons ago. This is the slightly tinted model, and looks pretty good on the bike. Does the best job so far, for me, though not prefect yet…..like my Desierto 3 fairing on my F800.

I've added a short trash-can piece, as you can see in black, to shade my digital dash for better visibility.

This shield costs about $120 at Cycle Gear, if I'm remembering correctly. Its simply a "generic" design….very light weight and durable. I do like the stronger mounting system to the bars versus bolting onto the flimsy plastic headlight housing. I was never too sure how long that would last with a heavy shield on a rough trail. There's not a strong anchor system at the stock headlight assembly…..at least not to my satisfaction. So a bar-related reinforcement of some kind seems in order with a larger shield.

Remove two nuts, and the whole assembly comes off the bike. I'll run the road with it, then probably drop it at camp when I hit the trails. Its still a work in progress…

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #566
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
question about the Touratech handguards... do those thread into the bar end inserts with a bolt that comes with them?

Putting on a set of my usual fave Cycra CRM's means swapping bars or drilling out the threaded insert....or going to a handguard that mounts only on the bars.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #567
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Well....the answer is Yes & No, Blakebird. It would "technically" depend upon "which bike" you ordered the Touratech Handguards for, and/or what aftermarket bar you may be using.

The plastic guards (which are very thick, tough, & strong by the way) are universal. Meaning one size fits all. However, the bar end attachment supplied with the guard is "bike specific", based upon OEM handlebar design....whether threaded or hollow requiring a slip-in expansion joint, etc. so, you just need to think thru what you need to best fit your particular situation.

For example, I put them on my new Pro Taper Evo bars which are hollow inside (14mm ID) and used an expansion fitting from a KTM Handguard kit (which I had in my spare parts bin). You can always swap out bolts, washers, etc, to make something work. Just be creative.

I imagine you can put these on the stock TR bars using the stock bolt and bar-end weights, just fine. You might possibly need a longer bolt. Or, lose the bar weights, and go with a shorter bolt plus a washer. TT may already have a perfect attachment for the TR stock bars....I dunno.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #568
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
question about the Touratech handguards... do those thread into the bar end inserts with a bolt that comes with them?

Putting on a set of my usual fave Cycra CRM's means swapping bars or drilling out the threaded insert....or going to a handguard that mounts only on the bars.

The two bolts from your license plate boat anchor on the back of the bike will thread into the end of the bars.
That's what I used to mount my Cycras.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #569
Magni
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bills in Salem

Just wanted to give a shout out to Bills in Salem and to whoever mentioned them. Wasn't happy with what the Boise shop was coming up with for a price so based on some recommendations in this thread(I think, might have been the other thread) I gave Bills a call in Salem just to see if making the trek over there was going to be worth it. It was. What a breath of fresh air those guys are. Great price and great guys to deal with.
Magni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #570
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magni View Post
Just wanted to give a shout out to Bills in Salem and to whoever mentioned them. Wasn't happy with what the Boise shop was coming up with for a price so based on some recommendations in this thread(I think, might have been the other thread) I gave Bills a call in Salem just to see if making the trek over there was going to be worth it. It was. What a breath of fresh air those guys are. Great price and great guys to deal with.
+3 (One for each bike I bought there after a worthwhile ride from the Seattle area even though there are very good dealers here)
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote