User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #571
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,452
Just in case you blokes did not know.

KN 151 Oil filter (K&N) is half the price of husky branded item.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #572
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
'Thought I would post a pic here of my Terra from my just completed Death Valley trip. For this trip I ran the stock rear tire and an IRC TR8 front. That was a good combination as the TR8 gave good grip off pavement and is very quiet and sticky on the asphalt. Seat Concepts saddle was on but I sure like that flattened version posted on this thread earlier. I thought about cutting down the hump in the back as the new cover went on, but didn't. Should have done a bit of carving I think, although the SC shape was fine for this trip. I didn't use the racks this time, but they held on just fine. Radiator guard bars on order from AltRider.

This pic is from the ride up to the old mining town of Cerro Gordo. We also did Titus Canyon and a lot of road miles too. The suspension, which was very stiff at first, is now much much better and I have some sag now. Beating it up on rough roads for hours will help a lot! In fact, where I could originally put my bike lift under the skid plate, now I can't. Even when I jack up the front wheel on a 2x. So, it has settled in just fine.

As for handling, I was pleasantly surprised. No eveil tendancies and I could cook the corners pretty good except remember you have a hundred pounds or so more to haul down from speed compared to a lighter dual sport. Taking a rough two-track, sandy, across the desert and crossing numerous small washes had me bottoming out a couple of times, so I used all the front suspension. You just have to ride a bit slower if you are used to a TE630 or WR250R, as I am.

The rear loop support for the rear fender works! I am sure that the fender would have given up the ghost on some of those roads without support.

All in all, the bike did exactly what I wanted and needed it to. It's going to be a great adventure travel bike. COBDR this summer!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #573
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Just in case you blokes did not know.

KN 151 Oil filter (K&N) is half the price of husky branded item.
That's what I've been using, 3 oil changes so far, no problems.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #574
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
That's what I've been using, 3 oil changes so far, no problems.
Hey Rugged! Great RR on your border run! Will you be posting your thoughts on how the Terra did? Looks like a pretty good break-in ----
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #575
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Hey Rugged! Great RR on your border run! Will you be posting your thoughts on how the Terra did? Looks like a pretty good break-in ----
Considering my lack of riding skills (I've been riding cruisers since I was 18, but only dirt/dual sport for 2 years now), this bike did awesome. With the help of a super knobby tire on the rear, I made it up some amazing inclines that were damn rocky. The bottom end torque of this Rotax is a marvel and what makes this bike what it is. Even with all of my crap packed on for a week long trip, this bike didn't seem that hefty (until I hit the sand). But even then, the power of this bike make me float through the sandy stretches.

The front suspension is superb, and the rear does alright too as long as you have the right tire and pressure figured out. Too much pressure makes the rear end unforgiving and hops around like a cotton tail being chased by a coyote.

The on-road handling of this bike is great too. I don't know why everyone bitches so loudly about the seat and the ridge along the back of it... This is the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on. I like having the ridge there for support and when I got tired on the long stretches I would stand up or scoot closer to the tank.

Also the lower pegs seem like a bad idea. I stubbed my big ass feet several times on the technical stretches (mostly at night) and nearly got ripped off one time when the toe of my boot got sucked under by a large rock.

Overall this bike is truly a 50/50 on road/off road mix. Not too many riders are going to take the Terra to the extremes I did. I took this bike where I wouldn't want to bring my DR350, and only did it because I was running from Indians or was lost.

Here's the Ride Report: Border Road Rally Raid

Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #576
Muramasa57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Has anyone thought about installing the Lynx faring on this bike? Not sure if it would fit, but it would be interesting to see.
Muramasa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #577
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
Got Racks?

I FINALLY got a day alone…..and put the Do Not Disturb sign (requisitioned from some hotel) on my garage entry. Sweet Thang took the hint and went shopping or something. There would be NO interruptions today.

Unfortunately, my bike still looked the same as when I last visited it:

But that's about to change.

For the record, this is my first saddle bag rack project ever. I've really not had much time under the welding hood either. But at least, I've got it sorted out in my mind. Its started keeping me up a night, so its time to git-R-done.

I regret to inform that I'm stuck working with hand tools: hacksaw, file, drill, etc. No fancy machine shop equipment at Rancho Highfive. Creating hand fitted parts became my biggest challenge. They must have special machine tools to do hard-labor stuff like this:

I just improvised with my half round file…..mercy sakes, this took a while. So did this fitment process:

Trim a little….check the fit…..trim some more….check the fit.

Eventually, it starts coming together

And….check the fit again

I started with a piece of angle iron for this lower mount at the buddy peg bracket. But I didn't like the fit.

So, I cut a piece of flat plate. put a slight bend in it, and welded the tubing to the back side. Probably makes the real welders cringe....but I was too tired to try notching the tubing for a center fit. Bet they make a special tool for that too.

I was much happier with this outcome.

But WAIT….there's more:

Now you can finally see how I'm using the crossover bridge that I built earlier.

Tucks in nicely. I used 1" square wood stakes to build my jig. I wanted the rack to be parallel to the muffler with a 1" offset.

One down and one to go! This rack weighs exactly 2.5 lbs, so it will be 5 lbs total, when I finish the pair.

This 3-point mounting system is VERY strong with all points attaching directly to the steel frame. I won't be worried about it bending in a tip-over fall (not that it ever happens to me). Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 09:05 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #578
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magni View Post
Just wanted to give a shout out to Bills in Salem and to whoever mentioned them. Wasn't happy with what the Boise shop was coming up with for a price so based on some recommendations in this thread(I think, might have been the other thread) I gave Bills a call in Salem just to see if making the trek over there was going to be worth it. It was. What a breath of fresh air those guys are. Great price and great guys to deal with.
+1
Great guys to deal with
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #579
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Contrary to what your wife believes, that truly is art HF...well done!
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #580
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Your job is looking very professional.

The tool you're looking for is a pipe notcher:
They do an awesome job, I've used them for making bumpers out of pipe.

Turn up the heat a little bit on your welder to get better penetration and you won't have the craters in your beads.

Keep up the good work.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #581
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
I don't know why everyone bitches so loudly about the seat and the ridge along the back of it... This is the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on. I like having the ridge there for support and when I got tired on the long stretches I would stand up or scoot closer to the tank.
RE Are you a tall bloke? I'm 5'7 and I reckon the seat ridge is perfectly placed too, but I can see how a person who was over the 6' mark might need a bit more legroom and plant themselves a bit further back on the seat, and that ridge would probably be right where they didn't want it to be.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #582
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,452
Nice work HI 5 - it looks pretty solid.

One suggestion - counter sunk bolts. Smoother - less likely to catch things on them. You might need to buy a new tool and new bolts though...

And a pic

Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #583
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,081
HOLY COW, HF you do nice work, very impressive.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #584
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Your job is looking very professional.

The tool you're looking for is a pipe notcher:
They do an awesome job, I've used them for making bumpers out of pipe.

Turn up the heat a little bit on your welder to get better penetration and you won't have the craters in your beads.

Keep up the good work.
Ah ha.....pipe notcher. Thank you! Added to the List.

I was using .024 wire and settled on a heat setting of 3 (out of 4) on my little Hobart 140 Handler. Had the speed at 45 (about midpoint). I purchased extra pipe to practice on, and was burning thru the tubing on the hottest setting. Knocking the tarnish off with a wire wheel seemed to help it take better.

I seemed to be getting good penetration most of the time....when it was buzzing along nicely, and then suddenly it would all go to pot. Some spots just didn't want to take a weld without major fuss, when nothing else had changed. It's was quite puzzling, I'd be running smoothly then "bam....pop, crackle, snap". So yeah, there was a bit of grinding & re-welding at times. Kind of frustrating, but still a blast to do. The sense of accomplishment is huge!

I have plenty of extra pipe left to play with. So, keep the advise & council coming...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 05:23 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #585
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Do you think the factory went a bit mad with the yellow dots?
You mean the bolt torque stripes? All factories do that, or SHOULD do that.

My old beemers still have green stripes on some of the untouched bolts.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote