Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #661
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
"If that's not high tech enough for you Uber types, then make a measuring rod of your own (from a stick, clothes hanger, plastic straw, or something from Sweet Thang's makeup draw……amazing all the useful gadgets hiding in there (for bike maintenance). Measuring from the top of the metal threads (flush with entry hole) its 2" to Max level and 4" to Min level.

Hip-hip-hooray!

HF "

See http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/oil...e-drama.30550/ for some ideas.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #662
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
anything that wants to cross-thread that easily....I'll turn it backwards until it sets down in the threads flat - then slowly try to get the threads started.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #663
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Stupid Question of the Day

Should I really have just sold my cherry Honda 919 so the little lady won't make me find other (although arguably more hospitable...the dogs are always happy when I bring a new bike home) sleeping arrangements when my new Husky gets off the boat next month? I really loved that bike and I have yet to ride this thing...hope you guys haven't been lying to me.
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #664
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,840
Touring mode with 2 x six packs on board!

I share the same bags with my R80

Cape Yorke I carried water!

davorallyfan screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 01:39 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #665
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
How's that E-07 going on the back Davo?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #666
davorallyfan
Commonist

This is about my 10th Mitas EO7 rear (the fronts are not so good).

When I first bought them 2004? they were very slippery on wet tar. The new ones are much better (and a bit more expensive). They have a square profile and there is a bit of a step as you lean over. Never had a flat on them.

The one on the R80 is still on my bike. Its done 12,000 km. its been to cape yorke 8,000 round trip. Then it did two 1000 km days to SA and back - high temp tar tire and the 50 km commute - it is square. I do at least 40,000 each year on the bikes. I'm 51 and have never owned a car always the bike. Value for money there is no better option for 50/50 riding. Don't get me wrong I love sticky tyres and agressive knobs but in the long run there is no better rear to my knowledge.

Most singles are hard on tyres and chains. The TR is a smoothie so maybe it will be a bit gentler?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #667
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Yeah, I run them on the back of my 87 Transalp too, never a flat.

Does the Terra spin it up easily?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #668
davorallyfan
Commonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Yeah, I run them on the back of my 87 Transalp too, never a flat.

Does the Terra spin it up easily?
Spin it up?

On tar with standard gearing it is does not really spin the rear on acceleration (dry roads) like other singles. It is a bit soft down low - unless you dial the revs and drop the clutch. It will pick up the front wheel in first (standard gearing) after about 5500 rpm if you give it the berries off the throtle then you can go through the gears and drop it down at about 90-100 kph in 3rd. I am crap at wheelies.

I said it was soft down low - its still makes good traction and can pull up steep inclines suprisingly well and at low revs - weird - but good

davorallyfan screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 04:53 AM
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #669
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgak View Post
Should I really have just sold my cherry Honda 919 so the little lady won't make me find other (although arguably more hospitable...the dogs are always happy when I bring a new bike home) sleeping arrangements when my new Husky gets off the boat next month? I really loved that bike and I have yet to ride this thing...hope you guys haven't been lying to me.
Oh man.....it's gonna be a sweet ride for Alaska. Think you'll love it. It's got the road manners of a big bike, with some fun small-bike behaviors. It's a great "in-betweener" of sorts.

Every time I ride it, I find myself saying, "where did the bulk go?" Very compact and nimble feeling in motion. Hard to describe, but the TR650 kind of disappears when you get on it. Fun...fun...fun!

You'll just have to get some side racks on it to carry a couple Rotopax for spare fuel for the backcountry. I'm averaging around 175 - 200 miles range per tank, though I've not run it dry yet, to find the limit.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #670
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Spin it up?

On tar with standard gearing it is does not really spin the rear on acceleration (dry roads) like other singles. It is a bit soft down low - unless you dial the revs and drop the clutch. It will pick up the front wheel in first (standard gearing) after about 5500 rpm if you give it the berries off the throtle then you can go through the gears and drop it down at about 90-100 kph in 3rd. I am crap at wheelies.

I said it was soft down low - its still makes good traction and can pull up steep inclines suprisingly well and at low revs - weird - but good
Looks like your husky badges are peeling off too... One of mine fell off so I peeled the other one off too.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #671
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
What is the fuel range?

Update on what I'm experiencing. I rode 387 miles today, and about 400 last weekend. I am getting a very consistent 59 miles per gallon average.

My last fill-up today was 3.03 gallons after 178 miles traveled. So, that is indicating a total range between 225 - 250 miles per tank.....if you run it dry.

I need to strap on m Rotopax and run her out to confirm. Anybody else tested the limit yet?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #672
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Looks like your husky badges are peeling off too... One of mine fell off so I peeled the other one off too.
One of mine went at 600 miles, I'm at about 2800, the other is going to go. I too will probaby just pull it off.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #673
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 288
Terra high front fender at speed?

Had to do a way faster than speed limit run on the Interstate for an hour or so today to try to make an appointment. Windy, gusty conditions, lots of big trucks on the road.
The front end of the Terra really felt overly light, doing a slight head-shake every time passing trucks and catching the turbulence's from the gusty wind off the trucks. Not like a heart stopping, oh sh*% situation, but very uncomfortable for longer periods of time.
Thinking that's that very large high front fender catching the wind? Maybe the Metzler Sahara front getting a little squirrly at speed? Combination of both? Whats your experience?

Will switching to a different front tire solve that?

Anybody want to trade their low Strada fender for my high Terra fender perhaps?

And yes,yes, I know I should take it easier on the throttle, leave myself more time, but this is the way I am .
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #674
Ken Woods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgak View Post
So, this should be interesting. Where are you getting yours from?
Ken Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #675
davorallyfan
Commonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Had to do a way faster than speed limit run on the Interstate for an hour or so today to try to make an appointment. Windy, gusty conditions, lots of big trucks on the road.
The front end of the Terra really felt overly light, doing a slight head-shake every time passing trucks and catching the turbulence's from the gusty wind off the trucks. Not like a heart stopping, oh sh*% situation, but very uncomfortable for longer periods of time.
Thinking that's that very large high front fender catching the wind? Maybe the Metzler Sahara front getting a little squirrly at speed? Combination of both? Whats your experience?

Will switching to a different front tire solve that?

Anybody want to trade their low Strada fender for my high Terra fender perhaps?

And yes,yes, I know I should take it easier on the throttle, leave myself more time, but this is the way I am .

A lot of singles get blown around in traffic - light bike.

I run sleeker acerbis motard guards on my R80 and did on my DR - it hleped a bit. I think the standard guard is pretty aero.

Take the guard off and see if it helps.