Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #676
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Anybody want to trade their low Strada fender for my high Terra fender perhaps?

I would almost take you up on that, but it won't work. You'll have to mod the low Strada fender to fit the 21" wheel/tire up front. There are a lot of guys running low fenders on dual-sports these days and loving it though. I was convinced that it would be problematic until I read Walter Colebatch's last ride report. He proved that a low fender works great, even in EXTREME conditions.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #677
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Strada fender

I have a Strada which comes with the low fender. It may be a little better than the high fender...but at higher interstate speeds the bike gets blowed around. As others have said...it's a light weight bike and is kinda expected. I added hand guards too. Not much difference IMHO as far as buffeting.

The fender is cheap enough to try. Just don't expect it to be a major transformation. Ymmv.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #678
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
I have 21/18" wheels with Heide K60's waiting on me when I return in June. They'll be put on my Strada. The front fender experiment will happen then, since I'll have both fenders and the big wheels to play with. I will definitely post results.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #679
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Had to do a way faster than speed limit run on the Interstate for an hour or so today to try to make an appointment. Windy, gusty conditions, lots of big trucks on the road.
The front end of the Terra really felt overly light, doing a slight head-shake every time passing trucks and catching the turbulence's from the gusty wind off the trucks. Not like a heart stopping, oh sh*% situation, but very uncomfortable for longer periods of time.
Thinking that's that very large high front fender catching the wind? Maybe the Metzler Sahara front getting a little squirrly at speed? Combination of both? Whats your experience?

Will switching to a different front tire solve that?

Anybody want to trade their low Strada fender for my high Terra fender perhaps?

And yes,yes, I know I should take it easier on the throttle, leave myself more time, but this is the way I am .
A lot of what you're experiencing is the turbulence being transmitted from you body and arms through the bikes handlebars. It's a natural reaction to become tense and grip the bars tightly when just the opposite helps. Relax your grip and even try riding with one hand. I know it sounds crazy bit it works. No matter what mods you do you will never completely correct it. It kinda like riding in sand, go with the flow don't fight it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #680
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
I ran 85mph for a long stretch yesterday.....passing traffic.....in wind. My Terra was rock solid, very planted. No significant buffeting to be concerned with.

I did not have my saddlebags on the bike, so no heavy rear-end load. Hansi didn't say whether or not he was heavy laden in the rear.....which could lighten the front end. Just curious. But, I was heavy loaded last weekend running at 75 mph with no problems.....didn't notice any difference in handling.

I think the front fender design is superb on the Terra. Stiff and sleek....don't think it's a factor (like the big floppy fender on m old 2005 KLR). Could be your tire, tire balance (lack of), wheel bearings (doubtful....on new bike), axle torque, headstop adjustment. Just possibly places to check.

Remove tire and re-balance. Make sure you center the forks...un-bind them when tightening the front axle. Leave the pinch bolts loose after tightening the axle nut to proper torque. Then compress the forks a few times (pump up & down) from the bars WITHOUT applying front brake. This centers and frees the fork action on the axle. Then, tighten the pinch bolts.

Make sure there is no free-play in the steering stem. Elevate bike on a lift-stand, grab the forks near the bottom and push back and forth (toward the back then toward you....rear to front). There should to be any movement or slop. If so, you need to adjust the steering stem a little bit tighter. If you don't know how to do that, ask here later, after ou have looked it over for reference.

My Terra feels as rock solid going down the road at speed, as my F800GS.....which is a very high standard of comparison (with the $2k suspension mod on the F800). So glad to say my Terra stock suspension is working terrific. I have 2,500 miles on my Terra.

Personally, I hate low fenders. Been pure grief for me in sticky/rocky mud. One reason I bought the Terra, believe it or not, was the high fender setup. My KTM 950 was converted to to a high fender. Been unable to figure out a suitable conversion for my F800. Loving the Terra setup....already done right.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #681
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,139
Running in the 90's on my Strada, the front seems a little less stable with the addition of the hand guards than with out. I think I will remove them for summer riding.

fantastic little bike.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #682
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
Touring in the Brindabellas.

davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #683
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Woods View Post
So, this should be interesting. Where are you getting yours from?
Picking it up from The Motorcycle Shop here in Anchorage. They are only getting three in and I think all three are pre-sold...almost felt bad beating them out of a new bike for the price I am paying...until I noticed a Strada in Indiana going for 5K. You getting one up in Fairbanks or are you one of the three?
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #684
Ken Woods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgak View Post
Picking it up from The Motorcycle Shop here in Anchorage. They are only getting three in and I think all three are pre-sold...almost felt bad beating them out of a new bike for the price I am paying...until I noticed a Strada in Indiana going for 5K. You getting one up in Fairbanks or are you one of the three?

Ha! I'm one of the three. There's nobody here in Fairbanks that's selling them as far as I know. The two people I spoke to at Northern Powersports had little to no clue about them.
Ken Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #685
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I have a Strada which comes with the low fender. It may be a little better than the high fender...but at higher interstate speeds the bike gets blowed around. As others have said...it's a light weight bike and is kinda expected. I added hand guards too. Not much difference IMHO as far as buffeting.

The fender is cheap enough to try. Just don't expect it to be a major transformation. Ymmv.
Even with a windshield, on expressways, it is a land channel that tornadoes often travel due to wind current.

1. get as big of a wind shield as you can stand or they make.

2. lay down on your tank for jet stream.

It helps 1000% and is fun, like you are a European racer on a Puch 125.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #686
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Stupid front fender question

Ok, I'm not an official owner yet, but I do have a stupid question. Does anyone have the part number for the Terra front fender. I have been comparing it to the one on my 511 and I swear it looks the same. The reason this could be important is that UFO make a replacement front fender for the 449/511 and it's only 32 bucks. I'd say that's pretty cheap replacement if you scratch/break that stock one on a nasty ride. The factory part number for the 511 fender is 8000H5008.
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #687
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
now, this could be a stupid question - but can you us a bike stand on the TR650
?? there is no frames down there ?? can the engine take the pressure

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #688
Ken Woods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
Ok, I'm not an official owner yet, but I do have a stupid question. Does anyone have the part number for the Terra front fender. I have been comparing it to the one on my 511 and I swear it looks the same. The reason this could be important is that UFO make a replacement front fender for the 449/511 and it's only 32 bucks. I'd say that's pretty cheap replacement if you scratch/break that stock one on a nasty ride. The factory part number for the 511 fender is 8000H5008.
From the Terra/Strada parts manual: http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/a...3TR650part.pdf

Drawing number 30, pages 74 & 75, parts number 19 and 20:
8000H5008
8000H3858
Ken Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #689
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
now, this could be a stupid question - but can you us a bike stand on the TR650
?? there is no frames down there ?? can the engine take the pressure

I lifted mine direct on the engine (carefully) with a large hydraulic (foot-pump) lift. Certainly, it's better to have a skid plate that is frame mounted on both ends. The Motosportz skid plate serves this purpose very well.

I think it would be quite difficult to lift the Terra (400 lbs) using the manual-levered type of stand in your photo. And, probably not safe to keep it up on that, unless the rating of that type of stand is adequate. I've put 300 lb bikes on those....with some effort, but never 400+.

I found the hydraulic lift-stand at JC Whitney for about $45, a few years ago. It'll pickup a Goldwing or Harley......think it's rated at 1,500 lbs. just has a little one or two tone hydraulic ram jack mounted inside it.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #690
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I used the type of stand above several times on my Terra with the Motosportz skid plate, but since the suspension has had a chance to loosen up the stand won't fit anymore. It wasn't a good idea anyway as the bike is 100 pounds heavier than the stand rating. I'm going to have to get a hydraulic unit. A flat skid plate sure makes the bike more stable and I personally wouldn't lift it without one. Risky business, but doable.....
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote