Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #691
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Cool, looks like it will work. Good to know if the original gets banged up a bit. This also could be useful for Strada owners wishing to put a high fender on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Woods View Post
From the Terra/Strada parts manual: http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/a...3TR650part.pdf

Drawing number 30, pages 74 & 75, parts number 19 and 20:
8000H5008
8000H3858
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #692
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Touring in the Brindabellas.

Hey,.. that's not a stupid question.

I was nearby on the weekend. I rode the Wee Jasper road on Sunday afternoon, but on my DL1000, and wishing I was on my Terra.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #693
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
I'm at over 4k miles on the Terra now, and I seem to be getting a 'clunking' noise from the front suspension while going over washboards and rocks/bumps. The bike has always had a little bit of a clunk noise when bottoming out the front suspension or unloading the suspension quickly.

But now with more miles, the suspension seems to be a little rougher and noisier. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be from the huge rock I bent my front wheel on a few weeks ago?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #694
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I'm at over 4k miles on the Terra now, and I seem to be getting a 'clunking' noise from the front suspension while going over washboards and rocks/bumps. The bike has always had a little bit of a clunk noise when bottoming out the front suspension or unloading the suspension quickly.

But now with more miles, the suspension seems to be a little rougher and noisier. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be from the huge rock I bent my front wheel on a few weeks ago?
BMW's in all their bikes put real thin fork oil that bangs a lot. Put heavier weight fork oil and it will be like a new bike, especially if you are over 200 lbs or so. That's assuming the usd forks are similar (but a fork's a fork I would think - it's just heavier duty for off road riding wear).
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #695
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,331
Got almost 10,000km no clunk in front suspension but things are bedding in. Time to put a few more clicks in the rear preload. I might work out how to do this on the weekend.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #696
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Check your steering head bearings. If they are loose or have some play, they will cause the front end to "clunk". If you can, elevate your bike so that the front end is off the ground; think dirt bike stand. Then grab the front forks at the bottom and see if you feel any play. If there is, you will need to remove the upper triple clamp and tighten the bearing nut. Also check the smoothness of the bearings when the front end is still off the ground by turning the handlebars side to side. If you feel any snags or catches, the bearing has probably been damaged and needs to be replaced (both upper and lower). Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #697
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 388
It's always a good day when the mail man delivers goodies

Happy days!

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #698
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 388
The mail man delivered this a few days ago so I thought I'd better put it on the bike too..

Pelican 1520 kit from Caribou Cases.

Very pleased with the result

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #699
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,331
Got a fair bit of sideways (east west) play in the throttle tube.

Its not a cable issue ...but perhaps wear related? Anyone else?

I was thinking of re gearing down but I am doing a 2200km ride next weekend - a lot of tar and some short unsealed road sections.

I am finally getting the MOSS treatment next week. That might improve the bottom?

Question: what do I need to remove to beef up the preload on the rear shock?

davorallyfan screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 03:17 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #700
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
BMW's in all their bikes put real thin fork oil that bangs a lot. Put heavier weight fork oil and it will be like a new bike, especially if you are over 200 lbs or so. That's assuming the usd forks are similar (but a fork's a fork I would think - it's just heavier duty for off road riding wear).
I don't think BMW uses the same Sachs fork the TR650's do.

Just upping the viscosity will change a lot more than damping out a clacking sound... I'd have a look at all the things that can work loose over time before I changed the fork oil.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #701
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Pre load

The tool kit that came with mine had a kinda silly spanner wrench but a generic wrench will probably work better. I found it easier to adjust with the rear wheel off the ground. Not much room in there to get a grip.
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #702
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
The mail man delivered this a few days ago so I thought I'd better put it on the bike too..

Pelican 1520 kit from Caribou Cases.

Very pleased with the result

JM.
Hate to tell you this, but if you even think of taking that across anything other than paved roads, this is going to happen:

You're going to need a metal rack mate.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #703
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 54
Rack

Damn Rugged! That sucks man. I was about to go the same route for extra fuel. Now I have to think twice about mounting...I tend to ride the Terra like a jumbo Dirt Bike.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #704
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I don't think BMW uses the same Sachs fork the TR650's do.

Just upping the viscosity will change a lot more than damping out a clacking sound... I'd have a look at all the things that can work loose over time before I changed the fork oil.
No, but I'd bet they put thin oil in every BMW sold, especially since that is what was described: bang at every up and down deviation of the road, acceleration, or deceleration. It drives you crazy and is exactly what the problem is. It may not be bad if you weigh under 150 lbs. It's an easy and fast fix. It's worked perfectly with all my BMW's (4).

I don't have any idea what you are talking about worrying about what can work loose. It BANGS! Stop the gd banging at the root source. It's pretty much a well known fact for beamer owners, and is an excellent substitution instead of new springs, forks, valves (ugh!) $5 and 30 minutes with just a higher viscosity oil will do the job. BMW shops always have one on hand: every one of them.

But you can look all you want and do lifetime vibration testing on all your components for thousands of dollars testing service to find nothing out years later, except now you need a new front end replacement ...
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #705
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,852
I've had a half dozen BMW's....airheads, oilheads, K-bike. I've never felt the need to change oil viscosity in any of them.

The only one that made a clacking sound was the '81 R100RS, and that had nothing to do with fork oil viscosity....it was fork internals, they clack on rebound not compression
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote