Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #751
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 899
Highfive, you going to SLAP ? would like for you to look at the suspension and see what you think. I can bottom my bike out fairly easy. Must say the issue of the bike cutting out from idle has been much better sense I cobbed the heck out of the throttle.
May try and hit Mena area at the end of the month if everything works out. Maybe I'll see you down there.
Ah, for the stupid question. Who has found a good bar riser for the stock handel bars ?
I have enough questions in there that a least one or two should qualify.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #752
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Hey, I finally got the courage to ask a question that qualifies for the New Owners Stupid Questions Thread. Actually it is two related stupid questions.
1. Is different left/right front shock fork properties common, or did a common part get installed upside-down?

2. Could this asymmetric characteristic be contributing the the dynamic wobble some are reporting?

Do I get bonus dummy points for not being able to count since there are actually three questions hidden in there? Oops, now four questions.
It's very common, and not responsible for any ill effects whatsoever.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #753
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Very interesting and the timing is perfect as this fatass (235 lbs + gear) is on a search for heavier fork springs.Having put close to 2k,mostly on rough rocky mountain roads and rougher stuff,the forks are bottoming very easily and the rider sag is 40% or more of the total travel.I have added some oil to them and it helped quite a bit,but not enough.

Changing the oil weight also had me worried as the rebound felt OK and was not interested in screwing it with the heavier oil ,but with this new info,it looks more promising.

Please feel free to post your project,off road or on,I'm sure it will benefit most of us
This is a good point big-t. Assuming the forks are open cartridge, this type of fork has two springs (coiled metal and air). Changing the oil height changes the size (volume) of the air spring. Raising the oil height decreases the size of the air spring and should improve bottoming resistance. You could try raising the oil height a bit more. increasing the size of the air spring lowers the air spring rate, softening the fork action. Most fork specs give the usable range of oil heights. Inexpensive tools are available to measure the oil height (fork cap off, spring removed) and usually have a syringe to add or remove oil. Motion Pro makes a nice one.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 06:41 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #754
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Chazbo - that's a great question many people have when they first discover it. The split function design (Rebound on one side, & Compression on the other) has actually been around for 20 years or more. I believe the first time I saw it was on a 1990 Fantic trials bike, which was my first bike with upside down forks. I loved it instantly! And never wanted anything else since. So much more tunable....independently....than the old combo style. It was as big a leap forward, as the creation of monoshock for the rear end in the 1970's. The whole Cartridge design really transformed fork suspension for the better.

NJoy - affirmative. Hear there's great single-track at Byrd's place. I gotta get me some of that action!

Dirtjack - great explanation. I'll add, removing the spring on a Cartridge fork can be tricky for someone unfamiliar....especially without a special compressor tool. But it is required to correctly measure oil height in the fully compressed position.

I've gotten by with a shortcut of sorts, at times when I didn't care precisely what the exact oil height was. I elevate the bike on a stand to let the forks fully extend. remove the fork cap and measure distance to the oil height with a makeshift devise (piece of straight wire, welding rod, pencil....something that can fit in safely to reach the oil level and easily be retracted). I do that only for a reference point, as I want to know how much oil height I have gained.

Then, I will add 5cc of oil, screw the cap on and go for a test ride (which usually involves bumps and jumps). Repeat.....Repeat.....until satisfied. This of course assumes I have some concept of the starting point (being near a recommended target level). It often takes only just a little bit to correct a problem. That compressible "air space" up top can close in fast....changing the feel quickly when you reach that zone.

Sometimes the factory sets it right, sometimes they don't. So, I never add more than 20cc total this way. If I get that far without making a difference, it's time to drop it, drain it, & reset it correctly from scratch. Everybody is different. Every bike is different. What works for me, won't necessarily work for another.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #755
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
You can make a fork oil measuring tool out of a medical syringe
and a piece of thin plastic tubing. Just measure and mark the outside of the tubing starting from the end. Hold the tube in the fork tube at the desired height (after adding a little more oil than needed), then use the syringe to suck out the excess oil.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #756
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 155
high beam wire

I'm mounting some LED lights and want to hook up the relay to the high beam. Has anyone done this and where did you find the wire? What is the color code for this wire? Wish I had a wiring diagram. I thought this was worthy of the stupid questions thread. Thanks.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #757
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
It was as big a leap forward, as the creation of monoshock for the rear end in the 1970's. The whole Cartridge design really transformed fork suspension for the better.
HF
Single rear shocks are a lot older than you think - as Yamaha found out when they had a big "World's first...." banner up at some bike show and an old guy with a grey beard and a flat cap quietly wheeled in a 1949 Vincent...
Ditto split-function forks: my Ducati Laguna Seca had this feature in the mid-1980s and I doubt it was the first.
And while Cartridges CAN be good, sometimes they're not: the cartridges in early Guzzis were bloody awful! Lucky the after-market came to rescue; but generally, yes, motorcycle suspension design is an area where clever minds have worked hard o give us incredibly sophisticated instruments operating in very challenging environments for extended periods, usually with little or no maintenance - and all at very affordable prices.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #758
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Figures.....learn something new every day.

I only witnessed the transformation as it happened in motocross bikes. I'll never forget how great it was on the Yamaha YZs when nobody else had it. That beautiful long shock under the seat and tank was a piece of art. And my Dad wasn't buying it! He thought the Carabelas were the future.....what a miserable year that was for me.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 06:15 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #759
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
I'm mounting some LED lights and want to hook up the relay to the high beam. Has anyone done this and where did you find the wire? What is the color code for this wire? Wish I had a wiring diagram. I thought this was worthy of the stupid questions thread. Thanks.
Spiderman, I think you'll find it in BigDog's website: http://bigdogadventures.com/
at his Husky Terra Build-up section. Seems to me he tapped something into the hi-beam wire, if I recall correctly.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #760
spidermann
nutcase

Thanks HF. Yes, Bigdog got in touch with me.
82 Rokon
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #761
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
I wired my LED lights to the wires connecting to the headlights. Real easy, no need to splice.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #762
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,838
Radiator protection.

The bikes a keeper for sure but I am a bit worried about the p l a s t i c radiator mounts. Comrades, we are talking about crash protection, a pointy rock green blood situation. Anyone got... or tried out the crash bars "tank' protection on offer?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #763
spidermann
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Radiator protection.

The bikes a keeper for sure but I am a bit worried about the p l a s t i c radiator mounts. Comrades, we are talking about crash protection, a pointy rock green blood situation. Anyone got... or tried out the crash bars "tank' protection on offer?
Which brand are you referring to. I think a lot of us are waiting (patiently) for the Altrider crash bars to come out. They say any day now.
82 Rokon
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #764
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
Which brand are you referring to. I think a lot of us are waiting (patiently) for the Altrider crash bars to come out. They say any day now.

They do look good. I thought you 'merians already had them. The alt bars look like they might be a good place to mount a spot light.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #765
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
They do look good. I thought you 'merians already had them. The alt bars look like they might be a good place to mount a spot light.
Or a .50 cal. They look strong enough, right?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote