User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #781
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
I think there are two Tr650 threads, the other has over 187 pages

Here's my idea of my future Strada with hi and low fender (photoshopped)

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:23 PM
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #782
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
Thank you, thats my exact idea. Can I copy? Who makes the red bar clamp for the fat bars? Edit: never mind, I see now Motosportz but I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!
Those sneaky rascals are hiding at "Motosportz.com"

If you can't find it on their website, just send an email request at their Contact Link. Owner's name is Kelly.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #783
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
I think there are two Tr650 threads, the other has over 187 pages
Yup....one fluff, the other stuff. Just like Twinkies, it's all good!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #784
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankgodits View Post
I took the booster plug off and the problem has seemed to go away... So note to all, the newer Terra's do not need a booster plug... Thanks for all the quick reply's guys! I'm back to enjoying my Terra....
I'm wondering at what point did the TR's Moss Adjustment start leaving the factory? Anybody have the serial number range for the second USA shipment. THANKGODITS: what are your last 6 numbers?

My dealer sales person says they have the tuning eqipment but I don't believe he has a clue about this off idel glitch inherant in the TR650's. I have to make sure it was re-flashed before I take it home.

Somebody also said that they get a brief message on the infomation screen at start-up that reads: Mapp II. Is this the key to seeing if was done or not. I can ask the dealer till I'm blue in the face and he can be thinking I'm crazy. As soon as you mention "you heard it on the internet" they roll their eyes and say "don't beleive it".....

The dealer is several hundred miles away and I want to make sure its taken care of before I arrive for delivery.

I want to be as educated as possible when I get this thing because the off idle performence on the demo I rode was horrible (at another dealer). Once going, it was a blast...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #785
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
I'm wondering at what point did the TR's Moss Adjustment start leaving the factory? Anybody have the serial number range for the second USA shipment. THANKGODITS: what are your last 6 numbers?

My dealer sales person says they have the tuning eqipment but I don't believe he has a clue about this off idel glitch inherant in the TR650's. I have to make sure it was re-flashed before I take it home.

Somebody also said that they get a brief message on the infomation screen at start-up that reads: Mapp II. Is this the key to seeing if was done or not. I can ask the dealer till I'm blue in the face and he can be thinking I'm crazy. As soon as you mention "you heard it on the internet" they roll their eyes and say "don't beleive it".....

The dealer is several hundred miles away and I want to make sure its taken care of before I arrive for delivery.

I want to be as educated as possible when I get this thing because the off idle performence on the demo I rode was horrible (at another dealer). Once going, it was a blast...
It's a common assumption that the purpose of the MOSS tool is to download a new map. While it can do that, there are other things that it can do. For my bike, one of the first, the issue was the idle actuator adjustment. That was done using the MOSS tool and all was sell. There was not a new map.

The MAP II that flashes during power on is an LCD self test, they all do that, idle issue or not.

Bottom line, ride the bike before you buy it, then you'll know. I understand it's difficult on a remote purchase. You could ask the dealer to ride it before you leave, and then you ride to confirm
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #786
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Adapting KLR 650 HT Pannier Mounts to Terra

Here is a post I just made on Café Husky that shows how I stupidly adapted my Happy-Trail panniers to fit on my Terra.
http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr6...10#post-311435.

UPDATE: Also posted better write-up to my blog here: https://charlessk.wordpress.com/moto...pannier-racks/

Chazbo screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 03:45 PM
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #787
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Map II

The now dead Nuda shared the same instrument cluster as the TR...IT was to have a reduced power map...for rain/wet roads....so that's why the TR has the MAP II insignia on start up. It's just there....doesn't do anything.

My Strada was so bad when new that a short 10 mile ride would have had several stumbles and probably would have died once or twice too. If you take a semi lengthy test ride....you will know soon enough. The other thing I'll mention is to allow it to idle a few minutes before you blast off....without touching the throttle. I reckon it does some self adjusting during this time....especially helpful if you trailer your bike any distance where the elevation might change.
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #788
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I have the ROX on my versys and they are great for that application as there are very few options for risers that will fit.

I have had ROX on several other bikes as well, however I am not a fan of them on more dirt biased bikes as they twist too easily.

I have begun using Powermadd Poweriser 475's where I can (you have to have room between the stock bar mounts).
Being a one piece design they are super solid and generally a few bucks cheaper than ROX too.

X2, the rox risers suck if you go down because they get twisted up then you have to loosen everything to get them all limed up again.I had those powermadd risers also and I liked them. Especially at the cost.
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #789
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Couple “Stupid” questions
- Do the TR’s run hot – or is it just my bike.
Some examples
  • I was riding in about 34 deg weather – in the shade – (its about 20 miles to work) I hit the usual backed traffic and the fan comes on within a min or two– my hands are freezing and the fan come on only after a min or two in traffic ??
  • Another time it was in the mid 80’s – again traffic – fan pops on but the temp kept climbing. It made it up to within two bars from the end. I don’t know if it would go further because the traffic started moving again but it makes me wonder. Wouldn’t want to be stuck on a tough 1st gear hill climb of any length. I am really thinking of packing a spare fan, just in case.

I had a 950 Adv and I thought that ran hot, but this one has it licked.
I’m thinking of putting Water Wetter in the system see what it does. I might also get medieval on the fender and put some holes in there in an attempt to push more air through.

The other question is the clunky down shift – I finding it hard to get a downshift that doesn’t clunk. Upshifts are no problem, its just the down shifts.
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #790
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Krussel

Did you stay with the standard front/rear tire size or take it up a knotch? Would you go up to a 150 rear?

Did you look at the Karoo 3's

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #791
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Krussel

Did you stay with the standard front/rear tire size or take it up a knotch? Would you go up to a 150 rear?

Did you look at the Karoo 3's
Stock sizes, and I didn't look at the Karoos.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #792
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Some examples
  • I was riding in about 34 deg weather – in the shade – (its about 20 miles to work) I hit the usual backed traffic and the fan comes on within a min or two– my hands are freezing and the fan come on only after a min or two in traffic ??
  • Another time it was in the mid 80’s – again traffic – fan pops on but the temp kept climbing. It made it up to within two bars from the end. I don’t know if it would go further because the traffic started moving again but it makes me wonder. Wouldn’t want to be stuck on a tough 1st gear hill climb of any length. I am really thinking of packing a spare fan, just in case.

I’m thinking of putting Water Wetter in the system see what it does. I might also get medieval on the fender and put some holes in there in an attempt to push more air through.

The other question is the clunky down shift – I finding it hard to get a downshift that doesn’t clunk. Upshifts are no problem, its just the down shifts.
I live in east TN...Humid and hot. I have 3600 miles on my Strada and I've rode the piss out of it. Unless the temp is in the mid 80s it's hard for me to get my fan to come on. I think you've got a air bubble trapped and it's fooling the bike into thinking its hot! As far as clunking downshifts....while its not Yamaha smooth...it shifts both up and down pretty well. I do have to use the clutch....but I wouldn't describe it as "clunky" maybe a trip to a dealer is in order??
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #793
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post

Some examples

I think they run hot. I've had mine burp and bubble green. In the heat in traffic it is hot.

The clutch cable has limited adjustment - only at the lever. Mine is wound right out at 10,000 km. I also have adjusted the clicker on the lever to get a bit more! They really are minor beefs for a baragin bike that honks along.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #794
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,395
AltRoute, I'm willing to put money that you've got an air pocket in your cooling system. With the bike cold, take your coolant cap off and start the bike. Let it idle to temperature. Then you should start seeing air bubbles come out, and the coolant level drop. Keep topping it off as it drops. No more bubbles means no more problem.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #795
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
AltRoute, I'm willing to put money that you've got an air pocket in your cooling system. With the bike cold, take your coolant cap off and start the bike. Let it idle to temperature. Then you should start seeing air bubbles come out, and the coolant level drop. Keep topping it off as it drops. No more bubbles means no more problem.

Hay thanks guys - never thought of an air bubble in the system – this is my first new bike and you just don’t think of those things – well I know what I am doing this Memorial weekend
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote