Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #826
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
As I understand it; the fuel vapor flows freely into the charcoal canister to retain the smell and caustic vapors of fuel from hurting our atmosphere. At some point (maybe always when running), the computer sensors kick in and engage the electric solinoid purge valve thingy to re-introduce (or pump) these vapors back to the throttle body to burn instead of flowing freely into our air. Secondary Air Induction systems also send unspent fuel and vapor to the air box... It's mostly a California EPA thing. Without the valve, the computer sends the electronic pulse but since the motor (solinoid) isnt attached, nothing happens! No engine warning light or anything has ever happend with the many bikes I operated on.

This is always a first mod for me and my bikes just to get rid of the clutter in the engine compartment area....nothing is gained except space,,,,,which is a good thing (for me) (opinions vary). I really don't think there is any ill effect on our ozone layer but certainly a feather in the cap of some engineer despartly working on our behalf to kiss ass of the people that strive to keep our planet healthy. With or without it, everybody wins....

....I'm just disappointed to hear the throttle body inlet nipple is so hard to get to because I always cap it at that point to eliminate ALL tubing.
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #827
flabbygears
n00b

Oddometer: 7
what happens when I push this button?

Any Strada riders out there figure out what the red ABS button does? WTH! I imagine it turns the ABS on and off but there is no indicator that let's you know what mode it's in.
Mama mia, she's a nice a red button.
flabbygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #828
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbygears View Post
Any Strada riders out there figure out what the red ABS button does? WTH! I imagine it turns the ABS on and off but there is no indicator that let's you know what mode it's in.
Hmmmm, I don't remember a dash light but I purposely stomped on the pedal and felt the ABS kick in......
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #829
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbygears View Post
Yep. The ABS light flashes when the bike starts, and keeps flashing until you start moving forward. Once you get going, the light goes OFF, indicating that ABS is working. Holding down the button for 3 seconds turns ABS off, which turns the ABS light ON.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #830
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Just got back from a short ride and have a question. Are these things supposed to clunk when getting air? I was just hopping some medium speed bumps and the back clunks. I don't think it is the kick stand. Chain slap? Shock fully extending? I don't recall my other bikes doing this.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #831
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Just got back from a short ride and have a question. Are these things supposed to clunk when getting air? I was just hopping some medium speed bumps and the back clunks. I don't think it is the kick stand. Chain slap? Shock fully extending? I don't recall my other bikes doing this.
Well, you are going airborne on a 400lb motorcycle, so it is going to land hard.

Depending your weight, speed, and how high you had it, you might be bottoming out. Have you adjusted the suspension for you yet?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #832
snailrider
Prostpector

It makes the clunk on unload, not landing.

I wasn't planning on air, but those pesky speed bumps offered me a chance to see how it would launch. Not more than a foot up at maybe 20 MPH.

I preloaded my shocks with a bounce, then as I hit the bump, hit the throttle, nothing radical.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #833
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Could be chain slap then. I doubt the suspension would have time to thunderously unload on that small of a jump.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #834
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Snailrider.....check to make sure all the shock mount bolts are tight, including the triangular linkage piece at the bottom.

I've not heard or felt any extension-type clunks on my Terra, and done a fair bit of jumping with it (within reason). It sounds like something is loose on your bike. Check every major moving component (axle, swingarm, etc), as well as the major frame mount points (subframe to main frame connection) just to be n the safe side.

Could just be your shock is not damping correctly on extension, and thus, tipping out. Are you sure the sound is coming from the rear end, and not the front end?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #835
snailrider
Prostpector

It didn't sound normal to me, but then again, I have pretty much been shaft drive for the last 20 years.

The shock not damping on extension, I more what it sounds like. And if your bike isn't doing it, well, maybe I need a warranty replacement.

It sounded like under the seat, but low, closer to where my feet are, or possibly the kick stand, but the kick stand is to small to make that noise. My XL500 doesn't do it, but I have the chain rather snug and it has great wear pads and I really haven't driven that much, a work in progress. (motivated me to buy new)

I have been going over the bike, checking for chafing points and have found a few.

Today was a bit more of a shakedown ride, I took it off road some, and it did rather well I thought. I have minimal experience in the loose rock terrain, and that is like driving on marbles. I think I would prefer sand, other than that sand gets into every nook and cranny and causes lots of wear.

After 150 miles, first top off of premium, 65 mpg. I couldn't be tickled more. It did stall on deceleration 3 times, not too happy about that, and man the speedo sucks. I'll tach it once I get more hours on.

Now I just have to figure how to duplicate the motion manually to see if I can make it clunk standing still.

I have been following the mods and love em.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #836
snailrider
Prostpector

Might be the kickstand. I just rolled it into the garage, looked it all over good, everything looks and feels good. I did some compression and quick release or the rear, quiet, smooth.

I flipped the kick stand and it seems a bit weak in the spring, and when it returned, it did clunk. Net trip, I will tie the darn thing down and try again, but my money is on the kick stand for now.

Makes sense I guess, back wheel getting punched up as it hits the speed bump under power. Then springs back at or about the time the back wheel unloads. The chain, I flipped it around, and it is not quiet per say, but not clunking.

Which brings another question. How good is the stock chain. I'm thinking if it is just cheap run of the mill stuff, to upgrade it before the sprockets go bad. Any thoughts on that? Then keep this one for emergency.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #837
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
The stock chain is performing just fine on my Terra. I won't be in any hurry to replace it soon, and I've passed 3,000 miles.

It's only stretched once, initially. Ran it too tight for a bit (accidentally) and noticed it had not stretched any further. So, at least mine appears to have a higher tensile strength than other OEM chains I've received.

Be careful to set your chain tension with enough slack to allow the rear suspension to move thru it's full travel. With the bike on the ground, under its own weight, push up on the lower portion of chain a few inches behind the rear brake master cylinder. I set my tension where I can push the chain upward enough to just barley touch the bottom of the swingarm.

It's quite easy to set the chain tension too tight on this bike. Not a bad idea to double check, by having someone similar in weight sit on our bike while you check the chain tension. I recently had my college boy sit on mine, and found I had it too tight. It hardly had any slack.....OOPS! No wonder the rear suspension suddenly felt stiff.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #838
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
I have the same clunking noises on my Terra. Sometimes they're not too bad, sometimes they're awful. I've noticed that tire choice and PSI affects it greatly. The stock setup is absolute shit.

My front end often has clunking problems on washboard roads between 45-70 mph. And the rear has a god awful racket coming from what sounds like the tranny when you climb something steep with the rear tire spinning.

A more aggressive tire choice helped me.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #839
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
After putting about 100 miles on my new Strada I discovered that the dealers PDI hadn't checked the chain adjustment. Interesting that the only reference to proper chain adjustment is in the workshop manual and not in the riders manual. I had to back off of the adjusters 12 flats in order to get the proper 45mm (1.77") slack when on the side stand. It was way too tight. Not good for the C/S bearing or seal, or wheel bearings for that matter.

If you just picked yours up or haven't yet checked the chain -- do it now!
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #840
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
After putting about 100 miles on my new Strada I discovered that the dealers PDI hadn't checked the chain adjustment. Interesting that the only reference to proper chain adjustment is in the workshop manual and not in the riders manual. I had to back off of the adjusters 12 flats in order to get the proper 45mm (1.77") slack when on the side stand. It was way too tight. Not good for the C/S bearing or seal, or wheel bearings for that matter.

If you just picked yours up or haven't yet checked the chain -- do it now!
Thanks for the tip. 1.77" is more than I thought it would be. I will check it when I get home.

Taking mine by the dealer this week for the first service. Will let them know if it was initially set too tight.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote