Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #1036
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
+1 Me neither. Fired right up with both keys held together at the ignition switch. No EWS or any other issues displayed or occurred.

HF
Interesting, put my spare key in the tankbag and did 900 mi. trip last weekend. No problem starting. Not sure which of our bikes was at Donnells first ( I bought the second one they prepped) but I know they came in fairly close together. So they're at least cousins. Mebbe we should compare vins.
I'll try it with the keys right next to each other.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #1037
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Rfid

I don't see why it would matter if the keys are together or apart or from another husky or whatever.The rfid is a passive device. The ring sends the signal generated by a computer. The RFID wakes to the signal and talks to the box. That computer surely has filters for this purpose. Even my pea brain can distinguish two people talking at the same time.

I can understand why an external electrical signal could disrupt the antenna signal.

OK, with that, who is willing to create a software program that I can install on my PC and then plug into the bike computer to reprogram the thing the way I want to?

Why should we be held hostage to Moss and BMW? It's just software for goodness sakes. They crack microsoft who spends billions on security.

Who do we talk to?
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #1038
snailrider
Prostpector

ZKH0H12A0DV003xxx California delivery/dealer bought last month. may 2013

The tag that came with my key is 8xxx
Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #1039
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweber View Post
High five...thanks for the inst/ with pics. I a noob with terra..second post for me.
I will order that ASAP. My terra runs the same and I did get I mossed 2mo ago.

Im going to give those magic wires a go too. On order.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #1040
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
I don't see why it would matter if the keys are together or apart or from another husky or whatever.The rfid is a passive device. The ring sends the signal generated by a computer. The RFID wakes to the signal and talks to the box. That computer surely has filters for this purpose. Even my pea brain can distinguish two people talking at the same time.
I'm no expert, but you can distinguish two people talking at the same time because you've trained your mind to deal with such situations. Get two people to talk to speak instructions to Siri or any other voice recognition and see what happens. I don't think the system is as smart as you think. It doesn't need to have those smarts to read the code from one key.

Cut/paste from page 5 of the TR650 Strada/Terra Owners Manual

Electronic immobiliser
By means of a loop antenna on the ignition switch, the motorcycle electronics read the data recorded in the vehicle key. The control unit only allows starting the engine if the key has been recognised.
- Always keep the spare key separate from the ignition key.
- The spare key and the ignition key are available only from HUSQVARNA dealers. The dealer must determine the legitimacy of the purchase because the keys are part of a security system.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #1041
Tweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
EWS and keys

At first I thought this was my alum dash/ brackets that I made to support wind shield messing with the antenna ring. But as i had that extra key in pocket...bingo no go. As I got the ews code off with key cycling. I have put maybe 50 start-ups with not a problem.

I found EWS info on adv rider somewhere with bmw tech telling the story about the system...just can't find it again.

When I go to dealer 100 miles away next week for tool kit. I will test keys the same way.... in their shop.....not intill.

Do images posted on adv rider have to come from URL only? cafe husky I just paste them. iPad mini user

http://http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/fairing-and-dash-project.32963/
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #1042
run-it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Question Off idle mixture richening

1st post on ADV! Really liking my new Strada too!

Stupid owner question: Can't someone just solder the appropriate resistor in series with the OEM thermistor to achieve the same temperature offset value?

I realize you won't have the hot wx switch but I have a hunch it won't be missed anyway. The extra wiring & connectors certainly won't.

Praise for the people that offer these fine products at a very reasonable price. Just wondering if there's a simpler solution for someone like me with a simple mind.

BTW my bike has 450 miles & would DIE randomly but always on closed throttle, I'd typically split traffic up to the front of rows of cars then die at the worst time! Dealer says they updated the map program, now it randomly stumbles when opening throttle but it's rare enough to only be slightly annoying for now. Some minor hunting / surging at idle. I know this is all not uncommon for OEM mapped FI bikes - I do want to get it resolved.

run-it screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:30 AM
run-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #1043
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Search used!

There's at least 3....possibly more gizmos that are out there that are plug and play. I found a brand new booster plug from a inmate for $80 delivered. If I'd known how much better my Strada would run I'd have paid retail for it...(or one of the other) and not waited nearly 4k miles. My TR was really good before. Now it's damn near perfect!

I've said before, I figured the rough lumpy idle and stumbling was due to the "hot rod" nature that them H changed with the top end parts and F/I tuning. If I had a new TR now the very first thing I'd do..(after Moss) is some kinda BP. It makes a huge difference. I am usually slow to buy into smoke & mirror retail gimmicks. I've waisted too much $ chasing something that wasn't there. This times different.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1044
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by run-it View Post
1st post on ADV! Really liking my new Strada too!

Stupid owner question: Can't someone just solder the appropriate resistor in series with the OEM thermistor to achieve the same temperature offset value?

I realize you won't have the hot wx switch but I have a hunch it won't be missed anyway. The extra wiring & connectors certainly won't.

Praise for the people that offer these fine products at a very reasonable price. Just wondering if there's a simpler solution for someone like me with a simple mind.

BTW my bike has 450 miles & would DIE randomly but always on closed throttle, I'd typically split traffic up to the front of rows of cars then die at the worst time! Dealer says they updated the map program, now it randomly stumbles when opening throttle but it's rare enough to only be slightly annoying for now. Some minor hunting / surging at idle. I know this is all not uncommon for OEM mapped FI bikes - I do want to get it resolved.
One thing you might try...when you first start the TR...Let it idle without touching the throttle for a few minutes..(I've heard 3 minutes but don't know why) I know on my bike, it seemed to help. Especially if you ever trailer it somewhere and the elevation changes.
I think you'll find it does get a bit better as you gain some miles. But fixing it in my case took the gizmo...I just happened upon a good buy and ended up with the BP brand.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #1045
snailrider
Prostpector

Nev, it is a computer allegedly, and I am not disagreeing that the product may be lacking refinement. The point is, you can take your laptop or cellphone to any spot and it works, the computer distinguishes the unique ID and talks to that. Maybe the Husky/BMW computer is not that refined, but my guess is that it is.

My laptop will send out a bluetooth signal, then it must authenticate the connection before pairing. I am sure that is how these chips work also. The inmate who posted trouble, should go to the dealer and get his system checked now before a total failure leaves him stranded away from tow trucks etc.

We have two confirmed inmates who held their keys together and had no troubles. The computer is smart. I had a key made, at the locksmith they tested my original, it has the chip. the key with the chip has to be within an inch or so, or the spare will not work. with the two keys, it still works.

The key has to be so close, there is no spot to put it, and hide it to make it work. Even next to the headlight, behind the windscreen mount, that is only 3 inches from the switch max, and it will not work. You could get a third key, cut the transponder out and glue it to the ignition, that might work.

The Locksmith, and I am not talking a key duplicator at Ace Hardware, but one that cracks safes etc, confirmed that with cars and other keys that use the chip, the chips do not interfere with each other.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #1046
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,475
Sorry, I'm about to geek out on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post

My laptop will send out a bluetooth signal, then it must authenticate the connection before pairing. I am sure that is how these chips work also.
Not exactly. There are several types of RFID. To be more specific, in our case, we are talking about passive RFID.

Passive RFID is very different from Active RFID. Passive RFID is a non-powered device. Bluetooth and IR are powered devices. Passive RFID's get power from the device that reads them, via proximity. Bluetooth is what most cars use these days. It is better, but far more fragile and requires larger components. Passive RFID is very inexpensive, and uses a solid state device on one end.

All the types are explained in the video below. Pick it up at 2:38 if you want to learn only about Passive RFID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAA9JpGraoU

Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #1047
flabbygears
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eek what's the red goop

Ok...I'm sold on the smartest dumbest fix for an already pretty cool bike. Had to have one. What's with the red goop that you put in the hole for the temp sensor? Looks like bondo? Putty?
Very nice job on the photo presentation btw.
flabbygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #1048
snailrider
Prostpector

Technonerds on the march

RidingDonkeys, I have a pretty good grasp on the operations, I merely was making a parallel to the software authentication. The software is the "key".

Believe it or not, The RFID is addressed in the affordable healtcare act and will be required by all, once that healthcare is fully implemented. I forget what page off the top of my head. So I read up on the chips. Walmart and other retailers already put them in clothing. It is the new thing, and eventually you should be able to not even have a key, like the new cars, as it will be programmed into your chip. The convenience will be the selling point.

So who do we contact to get that software for our laptops? I've been a technogeek for a long time, but never really focused on programming. I was grilling the locksmith, and they will not tell if they have a way to get around the chips. For every lock, there is someone who will crack it. Same for software, just who do we turn to?

It didn't take long for the booster plug to come into existence, there was a need. With the ignition, how long before the need, and will people be scrapping the bike, replacing the complete ecu, or develop a hack if it goes bad after the dealers quit servicing em.

I am fairly sure that us TR650 owners are on an island of our own.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #1049
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbygears View Post
Ok...I'm sold on the smartest dumbest fix for an already pretty cool bike. Had to have one. What's with the red goop that you put in the hole for the temp sensor? Looks like bondo? Putty?
Very nice job on the photo presentation btw.
Red goop?

I pushed the temperature sensor probe thru the hole I drilled. How did it become "red goop" on your end?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1050
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
looked like a rusty button to me...but not red goop
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote