User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #1066
flabbygears
n00b

Oddometer: 6
red goop w/o glasses

Gotcha on the no red goop. I've got the gizmo in hand and can "see" how this is the actual temp sensor.
How much hassle was it to get the side panels off? Working on this away from home with limited access to tools.
flabbygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1067
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,515
Using the Index created on Page 1, you will find "Body Panel Removal" listed as Post #189

Go find Post #189 ( probably between pages 10 - 15 depending upon your browser setup) and you can see a good pictorial & How-To for removing the side panel.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1068
megatiker75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
That's what she said
...I did not understand. what is the meaning

and ....

Does anyone know where to find a brake lever that goes over the pedal. Instead of below?
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1069
Tweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Lights

Many people recommend having the ability to turn off all lights while riding for adv bike. Useful for stealth camping or other situations. Lights I could see myself forgetting to turn it back on in morning.

Anyone do this to the tr650 yet? What switches to use or just pull fuses! any advice.
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #1070
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,371
On the phone now so I can't find the post, but I put up some switch options on the other TR thread.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #1071
Mayhem_Unlimited
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I picked up my new TR650 Strada yesterday and today I put 59 miles on the bike.

I love it! Great bike.

Here's my dumb question:
1. What is the proper engine break-in procedure?

I couldn't find anything in the TR650 "Quick manual" so today I used a generic motorcycle engine break-in procedure: vary the rpms (don't drone for an extended period of time at any one rpm) and don't go over 5k rpm. I also did some pulls to 4k, 4.5k, and 5k and closed the throttle after each pull and let the engine wind down before getting on the gas again.

But what does Husky recommend?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #1072
jwdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
I just past the 600 mile mark on my Strada. I didn't exceed 4k for the first 100 miles riding back roads short bursts of acceleration through the gears and back down. Then, I changed the oil -- the magnetic plug was virtually clean and the oil filter pleats had minimal very small bits of aluminum. After the oil change, I've been riding it like I would normally, with occasional short burst of acceleration to near red line. Most of my riding is between 3k and 5k rpm.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #1073
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 126
Wuka King

HIghFive - have you had this Wooky thing long enough to get a feel for it's effect on gas mileage? I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #1074
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,515
Not really. I've rode it plenty enough, but haven't bothered checking the mpg.

The motor runs so much better, I really don't care about the impact, of any. But I'll try to pay attention to my averages over the next couple of tanks, and post up later.

HF

Ps. Regarding break-in procedure mentioned earlier: just ride it normal, don't worry about it. Personally, I ride mine like I stole it......very hard when brand spanking new. Heck, I bought a demo unit. . So, u know it was spared no mercy right out of the crate. Fine with me....its been great.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #1075
Chazbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Not really. I've rode it plenty enough, but haven't bothered checking the mpg.

The motor runs so much better, I really don't care about the impact, of any. But I'll try to pay attention to my averages over the next couple of tanks, and post up later.

HF
I think my interest is more about drastic effects on range after the Booster Plug Mod. MPG is just a measure to help quantify. I have not heard of anything severe so far and am more curious than concerned. I'll find out soon enough when mine arrives.
BTW, outstanding job on your install write-up. Thanks.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #1076
Mayhem_Unlimited
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Regarding the engine stalling issue, my brand new TR650 doesn't seem to have any of these engine stalling issues (knocking on wood). The tech at the dealer told me he loaded the new ECU software so maybe Husky finally fixed it?

The only engine "quirk" I've noticed is a slightly unsteady idle. Seems to hover around 1500-1600 rpm or so, maybe a bit more.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #1077
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 128
Paper Air Filter

I'm freaking out after changing my air filter. The paper filter just sucks! Mine looked like dust had started to migrate around the side of the filter. I think it was BigDog who said it was hard to know if it's still seated correctly once you push the frame back in & I agree.

I put a thin layer of foam filter oil around the contact points where the paper filter (the foam part) sits on the frame, as well as a layer around theframe where it should "mate" with the internal air box surfaces.

Anyone think this is stupid? Better ways to tackle the issue?
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #1078
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,700
Had a good ride on the Strada yesterday. Its really my son's bike, so I have to pick and choose when I get to ride it.

Put about 100 miles on it yesterday going to a work site and the office. It was really nice on the freeway, and very easy to split traffic with, even with the 31 liter touratech cases we put on it.

What I really enjoyed, was getting to pin the throttle through the gears, and I mean really pin it, running it up near 8,000 rpms, and look down at the speedo, and low and behold I am not at risk of jail. I could really wind it up and still not exceed much over 80.

That is so much more fun than a bike you have to constantly be restrained on to avoid a ticket at 120, and in CA, at ticket over 100 is very, very bad.

The other thing I like about the Strada, is it is geared about perfectly for a kick around Los Angeles and environs bike. A steady 5000 rpm's is exactly 75mph on the speedo. Smooth, and still has some power, so really no need to kick it down, but if you do, it really moves out in 4th at that speed. IMO 5th gear is perfect on the Strada.

Somewhere over 80 if you are in dirty air in fast traffic, and hard on the throttle (light front end) the bike will wonder a bit (thats with the cases on it, naked it was stable to 99 in clean air), but I really don't mind that as it just reminds you to stay legal (which is below 80 in LA in general). I assume a steering damper will calm this down, and I intent to get one at some point, but its not really an issue.

I suppose for some more technical dirt a lower first would be nice, but my son is going to mostly be riding with me for a while anyway, and I'm on a pig of a GSA, so really, the Strada already rides circles around the GSA in the dirt.

All in all, a really great bike. Got exactly 50mpg, low fuel light came on at 0.5 gallons left.

Son gets his full license this week when he turns 21. I'm thinking I will be switching bikes more with him in the future, as the Strada is just fun to ride. If I was to go down to one bike, I would really have to consider which one to keep. The Strada is that good.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #1079
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
I'm freaking out after changing my air filter. The paper filter just sucks! Mine looked like dust had started to migrate around the side of the filter. I think it was BigDog who said it was hard to know if it's still seated correctly once you push the frame back in & I agree.
Yep------that air filter is the stupidest thing I've ever seen on a motorcycle.
If dirt starts slipping by-------it will take out your top end in time.
If it's really dusty and a lot of dirt and dust is getting by----- it will take it out in one tank of gas----------I've seen it happen to a buddy's KLR when he cleaned his foam air filter and didn't put oil back on it cause he didn't have any handy.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #1080
jwdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
"I put a thin layer of foam filter oil around the contact points where the paper filter (the foam part) sits on the frame, as well as a layer around theframe where it should "mate" with the internal air box surfaces."

Not stupid at all. Anytime there's a possibility of misalignment or imperfect mating of the airbox to airfilter surfaces, a heavy coating of grease will help assure a good seal. Used to do that routinely back in the sixty's and seventies on my dirt bikes BSA's and Matchless' back then.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote