Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #1081
run-it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
HIghFive - have you had this Wooky thing long enough to get a feel for it's effect on gas mileage? I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
These spoof devices only intercede during open loop operation. So during closed loop operation, ie steady state / cruising, there should be no diff in fuel economy.

During open loop expect to retain 94% of your fuel economy, a nice way to say you may lose 6% though it would probably be less.

In any event it's fuelish to tune a motor for max economy unless you're in some contest. Motors don't like overly lean or overly rich mixtures. It's not good for longevity or performance.
run-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #1082
run-it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Request for High Five

HF - If you happen to be riding in hot wx can you please report whether you can discern any difference between the wookie's 10 & 20C temp offsets?

Thanks!
run-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #1083
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
For a long time I have used red tacky grease on he seal around air filters. No problems so far...be suprised what you find stuck in the grease. Never have been a fan of paper filters for anything exposed to dust...(don't want to get a K&N argument started)
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #1084
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
What are the air filter choices available to the Terra? What is the BMW 650 using? What is better and why do you think so? Is there a topic on this somewhere already?
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #1085
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Oddometer: 190
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Haven't heard any more from Safari or Robin, might be worth sending him an email.

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/L...sky-terra.html
According to Safari Tanks the auxiliary tank should be available in September this year and will be in the traditional tank location. It will be a piggy back type (work in conjunction with the underseat tank) and take the total fuel capacity to 25L.

Considering the TR fills from the traditional location in the "tank", I wonder if Safari are going to just tap into the fill system somehow?

I really need to convince both SWMBO and the bank to let me get my TR...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #1086
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingogre View Post
It will be a piggy back type (work in conjunction with the underseat tank) and take the total fuel capacity to 25L.
Like the Nomad tank setup for the TR650 then?
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #1087
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingogre View Post
According to Safari Tanks the auxiliary tank should be available in September this year and will be in the traditional tank location. It will be a piggy back type (work in conjunction with the underseat tank) and take the total fuel capacity to 25L.

Considering the TR fills from the traditional location in the "tank", I wonder if Safari are going to just tap into the fill system somehow?

I really need to convince both SWMBO and the bank to let me get my TR...

Hmmm... I don't think I'll be purchasing one of these. I hated the Acerbis tank on my DR350 and sold that after one tank of fuel. The Terra with a rotopax on the back is fine for me. For now.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1088
megatiker75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
guys do not want to spoil your enthusiasm but you know that husqvarna Italy will be closed? I do not believe that this bike will continue to be produced. I have bought several things from turatech including the paramotor. this was not available so I heard them and they told me that since the events of the manufacturer, the turatech could also close the production of accessories for this bike. how they are doing them I think they could do many others. In fact, I have already bought from other brands can then stop for fear that they too produce.
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #1089
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatiker75 View Post
guys do not want to spoil your enthusiasm but you know that husqvarna Italy will be closed? I do not believe that this bike will continue to be produced. I have bought several things from turatech including the paramotor. this was not available so I heard them and they told me that since the events of the manufacturer, the turatech could also close the production of accessories for this bike. how they are doing them I think they could do many others. In fact, I have already bought from other brands can then stop for fear that they too produce.
Sì, siamo tutti consapevoli della moto viene interrotto. La sua una parodia, ma gli affari sono affari. Stanno parlando di un sacco d'altra pagina: 2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #1090
Tweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Fuel filters

If this has been beaten to death in a past post sorry. The search box on this forum and this ipad mini are not friends. Inline fuel filter from tank to injector. Is this a good ideal for the TR? mostly concerned for a Baja trip. And filter/funnel combo?
First time off US soil on any bike for me. Am I worrying to much....thanks

Tweber screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 01:43 PM
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #1091
Jug-Head
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
HIghFive - have you had this Wooky thing long enough to get a feel for it's effect on gas mileage? I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
I installed the Booster Plug last weekend. My commute is largely hiway and I got 54 and some change mpg.
Jug-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #1092
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Wuka King Power Controller update

I've had enough time on the bike now, with the Wookie, to answer the two pending questions:

1) What impact does it have on mpg?

I have measured consumption carefully for two tanks of gas, once with the Wookie switch on "cold", and the other time set to "hot". In the cold position, I averaged 54.8 mpg. In the hot position, I got 55.2 mpg.

Prior to installing the Wookie, I was getting about 55 mpg (+/-) overall. This was verified in my earlier post when I ran the tank dry to measure the total range. You can find that several pages back, in this Thread.

So bottom line, the Wuka King has had no appreciable impact on my MPG. The difference indicated is more likely due to the variance in riding conditions between each tank (city versus highway, on the throttle vs. off). Certainly, I won't be losing any sleep over losing one-half an MPG, if accurate, for the nice improvement the Wookie has made to my air/fuel ratio, and thus, engine performance.

The engine now runs a little bit richer (just enough to be spot on) making it smoother off idle, steady thru the gears, and a little cooler operating temperature overall (one or two bars lower on my dash gauge....usually). No more stumbles. No more decel popping.

I've been keeping an eye on temperature offsets for both switch positions. The advertisement by HighTechCoonass indicates -18 degrees F (warm setting) and -36 degrees (cold setting), if I'm remembering correctly. Or, at least something close to that. Measured against ambient temperature, I'm seeing reductions more commonly in the - 20+ degree range and - 40+ range, respectively.

Interestingly, the amount of offset changes at different ambient temperatures. Its not the same amount each time. Maybe the Wookie has more sophisticated Voo-Doo than the others....I donno. Seems to work better than the "Accelerator" module I put on my F800GS (which does a fine job....but doesn't have a dual mode feature). Personally, I've never run a Booster Plug brand, so I cannot comment on how that device compares.

While all of them are similar.....producing solid improvements, the Wuka King may be a little more sophisticated than the others, based on what I've seen. To be certain, I have no horse in the race. I don't care what you run on your bike, if any.

2) Is there a difference in performance between Hot vs. Cold settings on a "hot" day?

Yes......not a lot, but enough I could tell some difference.

Lately, we've had some ambient temps in the 95+ degree F range, here in Oklahoma. So, I finally got the opportunity for this comparison. At all times, regardless of outside temperature, the engine idles smoother on the Cold setting. That goes to reason, as the mixture is a little bit richer.

But on a very hot day, the motor feels a little fat (too rich) when accelerating in the Cold setting. It's nothing you would not like....remember this is a "comparison". Switching to the Hot setting instantly cleans up the tuning....just enough that the engine seems to pull a bit stronger and even smoother. It's a small change, and something many people might not even notice, or know how to detect it. But the difference is there, without a doubt.

I can run either setting with good results. Both being an improvement over stock. You simply don't need as rich a fuel mixture on a hot day, as you do on a cooler day. So, I'm liking the option to lean the mixture just a tiny bit by simply flipping a toggle switch.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:40 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #1093
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
So, I pulled out my all-time favorite secret weapon for oil drain plugs:

Go to the Yamaha shop and buy a tube of Yamabond 4. Great stuff, Maynard!

Some of the best gook every created. Its oil resistant and only semi-drying. I've covered all my oil drain plug threads with this wonderful stuff for years…never had a leak….never lost a drain plug…..never stripped threads due to over-tightening. Many of my friends have endured all of the above without it.
Interesting solution, and good for gaskets, but the proper solution is to use safety wire on any bolt or fastener that could potentially fall off the bike and cause fluid loss or handling issues - this includes caliper bolts, drain plugs, coolant hose fittings, etc: http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ng_techniques/
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #1094
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
I never claimed to be proper.....just effective.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1095
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 148
Thanks for the Wooka report HighFive. I installed one this week and pretty much found what you have, although I need some more road time for a final assessment. One thing I noticed on my first morning ride was that it still stumble a little bit on the hot setting. The cool setting smoothed it out very nicely. I'm very happy with the results and look forward to more experience with this thing.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote