User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1096
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Seat Concepts Seat

Post up those seat pics of yours high five------I know you got-em'.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #1097
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Doggie wanna bone?

Oh yeah…..I like it. A LOT.

Rode 400 miles on it yesterday! This is the BEST seat I've ever sat on out of the git-go.

And it was a blast to install, because I had to use a new tool....with a trigger!

More info to come soon, I've been kind of busy lately.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 09:47 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1098
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
I'm glad to see you got a new seat----------I was afraid you'd rob the seat off your BMW-----------there ain't much left of that bike
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #1099
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
That's exactly what I'm going for HF, thanks for the pictures.

The other three Seat Concepts seats I've had have been vast improvements - and since this bike is capable of covering serious miles....and I don't much like the hump and need the legroom....done deal.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #1100
Mayhem_Unlimited
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Doggie wanna bone?

Oh yeah…..I like it. A LOT.

Rode 400 miles on it yesterday! This is the BEST seat I've ever sat on out of the git-go.

And it was a blast to install, because I had to use a new tool....with a trigger!

More info to come soon, I've been kind of busy lately.

HF

Cool. How much does the seat raise the seat height?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1101
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I donno....2 or 3 inches. Didn't measure it.

Stick a level across the top of a stock seat and measure the dip with a ruler.

About that much, I reckon.

HF
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1102
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How To Change the Seat

Here is the step by step procedure I went through to replace the stock seat on my Terra with a Tall Seat Kit from Seat Concepts.

This not only the first time I've ever tried a Seat Concepts product, but also my first ever attempt at Dualsport Upholstery.

I simply watched a YouTube video found on the Seat Concepts website, then said to myself, "I've got this…..piece of cake!"

AND it was. The Kit was a perfect fit and worked exactly like shown in the video. I took my time, and didn't cut any corners (figure of speech). And the conversion worked its way beautifully right into place.

My compliments to Seat Concepts! The whole deal is simply terrific…..especially for the price point and lack of waiting time.

The result is wonderful and my backside couldn't be happier. I rate it a solid "10". Its quite possibly the most comfortable seat I have enjoyed on a motorcycle to date. I sure hope it holds its form & feel over the long-haul.

Here is how I did it.

PART 1

Tools needed:

I bought the pneumatic stapler at Harbor freight for $22.99,

but had a hard time finding a wide crown (20 gauge) 1/4" length staple. Everything on the shelf was 3/8" or longer. This was turning into a problem until I finally figured out that an Arrow T-50 staple was perfect match. These were available in abundant supply at my local Ace Hardware.

I already had a nice air compressor and hose reel in my garage. So, this is a "no brainer". I'm always a sucker for another nifty tool with a trigger!

First, remove the staples from the OEM seat. Oh baby…..there's a bunch! Don't get in a hurry. Pace yourself and remember, its not a race. Pry…Pull…Peel

Voila!

Comparing the foam, I like the feel of the Seat Concepts foam better. Not sure why. Something just feels "better". Sort of a "memory foam" feeling compared to the stock foam with is firmer and spongy. Interesting material, anyway. And the fit of the new foam was perfect alignment to the seat pan….down to a millimeter around the entire perimeter.

Here's a comparison of the vinyl cover wraps:

I got all black vinyl…….plain jane, nothing fancy pantsy.

And, I must say the SC material looks and feels quite nice:

Promising…..very promising.

HF
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #1103
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
Note the stock seat foam's step is emphasized by the pillion portion being thick....the SC foam is thinner at the pillion section, eliminating the step without increasing the seat height too much - just enough.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #1104
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

The "Tall" seat height for the rider is increased considerably compared to the stock dip, not just a little. Mine now measures 36" from the ground, where I normally sit. I don't recall what the stock height was, but somebody else could measure and tell us.

The seat surface is fairly level now. The rear portion is about 37" or so. It does appear a an inch shorter than previous at the pillion.

I'm 5'- 9" with a 32" inseam

I used to be flat footed with a slight bend in my knees on both sides. Now, the balls of my feet touch the ground evenly, but my heels are elevated. So, it's at least 2" higher position than before.

The best part is in motion. My legs are very comfortable on the pegs. I'll have an assistant take a photo of me seated in riding position soon. But my knees are so much more open / comfortable position. In 4 hours of riding last Sunday, fairly non-stop, my knees NEVER cramped and I didn't get fidgety on the seat. No pressure points, no sliding forward, and no sore lower back. It was great to be able to shift rearward, on demand. The farther back you sit, the more comfortable the feeling.

I weigh about 180 lbs, so the standard foam is perfect for me. They asked my weight when I ordered, to be sure. Said they have denser foam for heavier people. Be mindful of that, if you order one. I like a little softness in my seat. I hate those hard-pan Corbin seats. I don't have a lot of Cush onboard my buttocks. If you like a very firm seat, you might consider the denser foam. Just a thought. Nice to have options. I simply trusted the SC recommendations based on my weight, and am very happy with the result.

HF
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #1105
megatiker75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I picked up the bike and am very happy. sorry but that happens to me every now and then when accelerometers with a little gas has a vacuum and risk off. It does yours?
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #1106
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How To Change the Seat - Part 2

The empty seat pan…..all plastic.

Fit check of the new foam on the seat pan. Look closely, and you can see a bit of black edge around the perimeter of the foam.

Good to go…..so I threw the vinyl cover out on the driveway to warm up in the sun

Then, broke out the Dremmel and let the fur fly!

On both sides:

This is a personal preference. I wanted to provide some relief for the steel boss on my rack mounts.

And this little adjustment worked very well. Had I known it was this easy, I would have popped the staples off the stock seat awhile back, and done the same. You won't need to make this adjustment, if you don't have a rack mount like mine. But good to know, I guess. Don't be afraid to nip & tuck wherever needed or desired.

Next, glue the foam to the seat pan. I used this 3M Spray Adhesive, because it was already sitting on my shelf. I sprayed a few areas along the front & back edges, plus a couple spots in the middle. This held the foam in place nicely while I stretched the vinyl cover over it.

HF
Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #1107
Tweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wheel bearings

Any one order spare wheel bearings and bearing seals yet? And is it a bmw gs or x-challenge...what year match?
May be like this...

2 Front Wheel Bearings 20x42x12mm SKF 60042RSH

1 Front Seals 2 25x42x7mm R23

4 Rear Wheel Bearings 4 20x42x12mm SKF 60042RSH

2 Rear Seals
1 32x47x7mm R23

1 32x42x7mm R23

Tweber screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 03:57 PM
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #1108
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Rear rack update

I purchased a few sticks of some tubing for the rack, It's a little under 7/8" O.D. and it has a pretty thick wall to it. I'll take some finer measurements once I get all of my tools unpacked and put in place the the new shop .

I purchased a tubing bender... and its not nearly enough to curl this tubing. So a little delay, but my next trip to town I will return it and probably purchase a hydraulic bender.

I also picked up a cheap pipe notcher from Harbor Freight. We'll see how long it holds up.

I miss living in town and being able to run to the fabrication lab at the university and use all of their tools. 10 years of schooling has gotten me some access to all sorts of expensive goodies, but now I have to buy my own...

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1109
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How To Change the Seat - Part 3

After lightly glueing the foam in place on the seat pan, its time to put the vinyl cover on.

Make sure you buy some of this Silicone aerosol spray:

It was recommended in the YouTube video by Seat Concepts, but they also said you could get by without it. I donno...

I practiced stretching the cover before applying lubricant. It was definitely easier to manipulate, stretch, & eliminate wrinkles with the silicone. So, I suggest going that route, for sure. I sprayed a thin layer all over the foam, as well as the bottom side of the vinyl.

And, loosely fit the cover over the foam to get it aligned & centered.

Now, its time to get after it…..stretch the cover over the front of the seat first….fairly tight….securing with about 4 staples underneath the nose.

Next, stretch it over the very rear…..again, fairly tight…..and put about three staples under the backside.

It won't look so very good at this point yet. But its about to start taking shape when you tack down the two sides at the center like this:

I'm pulling it down and rearward to stretch & work the wrinkles out of the nose. Take your time and don't get frustrated. You'll figure out a method after a little bit of practice with it. I discovered I could help smooth out the wrinkles with one hand, while pulling tension with the other.

So, tack it at the nose….tail…..and each side (in the middle) in that order. Kind of like making 4 corners to the cover wrap.

You have to stretch it, then pinch it tight and hold it securely while you pop in a few more staples:

Slowly fill in all the gaps (between the 4 corners)….3 or 4 staples on this side…..then 3 or 4 staples on the other side. Little by little, zig-zagging around the perimeter back & forth, until it all comes together nicely.

The rear of the seat should be the last portion you finish. And, you have to work it a fair bit, stretching & folding over some excess to get it tight and tucked out of the way. It surprising, but in very little time you'll have a nice looking custom cover.

I thought I might have stretched it too tight, but I didn't. I just worked it to the point that all the wrinkles were gone. As soon as I took my first ride, I knew it was perfect. I can just pinch up a little slack in the material with some firm finger pressure on the top of the seat.

When you're happy with it, flip the seat over and trim off the excess material around the staples. Use a brand new razor blade in your utility knife, and its a fairly easy task.

Most of the photos showing the new staples were taken after I finished trimming the excess material, so it doesn't look like it needs a haircut. But, these last two photos show what the actual trim margin was.

In a few spots, I just held a single razor blade between my fingers while I trimmed some tight curvy spots. Either way, BE CAREFUL not to slip or cut the cover vinyl accidentally in the wrong place.

Also, you have to carefully notch out this part which slips over the frame anchor points on each side at the front:

That's it…..go ride!

Q: What was the most contentious part of the whole process?

A: Figuring out where to properly install the staples into my pneumatic gun!

I'll spare you the details, and suffice to say the Instructions with the gun were lacking.

Here is where those stinkers go:

There is a trigger lever at the rear of the handle which releases the staple tray to slide backward. You simply drop the staples into the slot on bottom and snap it all back together. Now then, let's don't talk about all the ways I tried and couldn't make it work……and just say we did.

HF

p.s. a day later, I bought a little tube of Super Glue and tacked down some of the loose edges of material around the bottom side. Figured that might help prevent it from snagging on something while taking the seat on or off the bike many times. Just another personal preference. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Just dreamed it up on my lonesome. BUT you probably shouldn't do that. Bet it would void your warranty and rot your foam.

p.s. 2 if I can do it, then you can to!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #1110
Northern TerraTory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
G'day guys first post, first bike, first stupid question. so covering some virgin TerraTory here!

First let me say this is a great thread! I have spent the last few days reading it all and feel like I know my bike we'll before I've even picked it up. This is my first registered bike, after not really riding much in the last 20 years. I know, crazy isn't it? Please don't crucify me, better late than never eh? Pick up my Terra today

Can't wait to start modifying the girl.

My first stupid question is would the B&B bashplate cause my bike to run too hot, given that I'm living in the tropics (Darwin, N.T., Australia), where in the buildup to the wet season it is usually about 34C and 80% humidity!

Second one is given the temperatures here, would this cancel out the problem of the bike running too lean as, correct me if I'm wrong, but the booster plug tricks the bike into believing the ambient temp is higher than it really is?

I had one more stupid question, but can't think of it right now. I'm sure there will be dozens more! Cheers for any replies, Scott.
Northern TerraTory is offline   Reply With Quote