Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #1141
Bluegopher
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
There is still air in the radiator. Wheen bleeding it, you have to let it run until the fans cut on. That is your signal that the fluid is circulating, thus allowing all the air out. You're going to loose some fluid as the bubbles pop, but you can always top it off when you are done. You'll need to let it run for about a minute or two once the fans kick on, but no longer than that.

Also, it's not uncommon to have to do this a second time after a few hundred km.
Second time was a charm for me - so far. Overheated at around 400 mi. Took it to the dealer because I wanted them to be aware of it. They burped it and I picked it up. Rode another hundred miles and it started pissing coolant all over my leg. Took it back to the dealer, they burped it again. That was close to 600 miles ago and no more heat issues.
Bluegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1142
run-it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern TerraTory View Post
Ok, thanks for that RD. do you know what type of coolant is used or can I top it up with any brand?
The OM states Castrol Motorcycle Coolant, it's an ethylene glycol / water mix.

So Peak Long Life 50/50 prediluted which is also an ethylene glycol / de-mineralized water mix meeting EU & Japanese specs (phosphate & silicate free) SHOULD be OK, even though it's RED in color. I'm only 95% certain so you may want someone else to answer. Though I'd be OK pouring it mine.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1143
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Strada Seat

While I do not consider this a stupid question, I would appreciate any informed responses. I absolutely love this bike. She joins a Beta 520RS and a couple of R. GS's. I bought this bike to two up with my wife in the N GA hills and Forrest Service roads. The mistake that I made was riding a GS 650 with her and expecting the a husky to be similar. For her, this is not the case. At 5'2 and 120#, she does not need a lot of real estate. Just a little more. No jokes, please.

The Seat Concepts does not appear to address this, per my phone call to them. This leaves XPC Racing and Renazco. I'm not sure, but feel that they could help. Nothing from Corbin, Sargent, etc. I realize that this may require a modified tail rack, given it's mounting points, but would modify that anyway when the right product presents itself.

Does anyone have experience with these companies, or others?

Your help is appreciated. I want to make this work for both of us.
finehomebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #1144
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Fhb...I have a Renazco on my F800GS, with a suede leather top. It's a real fine seat, to be certain. But I had to get on a waiting list for 6 months, and pay over $400 for it. While, the Seat concept kit shipped a couple days after I ordered, & only cost about $150.

Time will tell if it holds up as well as my Renazco. But so far, I'm actually more comfortable on the SC.

Suggest giving SC a call and talking with the owner about your specific needs. He might be able to accommodate a custom shape.

My $600 worth, anyway....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #1145
run-it
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
I had a bit of a check of it today, switching the display between C and F and you're right, but its still not behaving as I expect. I got a thermometer and put the temp probe next to the Wuka plug temp probe. It measured 16C / 60F.
With the switch set to hot the temp gauge on the dash showed 56F / 13.5C With the temp switch set to cold the dash display shows 22.5F / -5.0C. with the expected -18/-36 offset I would expect the results to be HOT 42F / 6C COLD 24F/-4C. The 18C diff between the Hot and Cold switch positions had me fooled.
Might have to shoot an email off to the Mr HighTechCoonass.

Temp at thermistor.....................15C / 60F
Display (cold position).................-5C / 22.5F (target is less 20C / 36F) close enough, no problem
Display (hot position)...............13.5C / 56F (target is less 10C / 18F) Ruhhh-Rohhh, this position is almost doing nada. You may as well gotten "the juice".
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #1146
robbieb83
Working my map o tas

Oddometer: 9
My tip would be to remove the plugs for the Wuka, put a shorting link in the plug that connects to you AIT, then measure the ohms at the plug that goes to the ECU, in the hot and cold positions. Then plug it back into your AIT and repeat. Send that data along with the ambient temperature to HTC and see what he says

robbieb83 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 07:23 PM
robbieb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #1147
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern TerraTory View Post
Ok, thanks for that RD. do you know what type of coolant is used or can I top it up with any brand?
Any ethylene glycol / water mix ought to be good. That covers most coolants out there. I could be wrong, but it might be the start of another oild debate thread.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #1148
run-it
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieb83 View Post
My tip would be to remove the plugs for the Wuka, put a shorting link in the plug that connects to you AIT, then measure the ohms at the plug that goes to the ECU, in the hot and cold positions. Then plug it back into your AIT and repeat. Send that data along with the ambient temperature to HTC and see what he says

It seems this sort of troubleshooting would be designed to differentiate between a fault / modification on the bike or a fault in the Wuka.

Yet the correct reading in the COLD position sort of rules out a fault or a non-compatible circuit modification on the bike.

The bike's temperature reading on its dash display may as well be a VOM & it says the hot circuit is adding too little resistance.

Hey Nev, if you take readings though por favor, post them here, I may be able to use them.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #1149
robbieb83
Working my map o tas

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by run-it View Post
It seems this sort of troubleshooting would be designed to differentiate between a fault / modification on the bike or a fault in the Wuka.

Yet the correct reading in the COLD position sort of rules out a fault or a non-compatible circuit modification on the bike.

The bike's temperature reading on its dash display may as well be a VOM & it says the hot circuit is adding too little resistance.

Hey Nev, if you take readings though por favor, post them here, I may be able to use them.
The manufacturer of the plug can look at the ambient temperature readings, know what the expected resistance values for said temperature, and work out what the problem is. There is a section on the Wuka King website that describes how to test the power controller at 70 degrees F / 21degC
http://www.wukaking.com/help.html

It could be a faulty switch contact in the hot setting, or a damaged wire etc. Knowing what is expected versus what is found helps to narrow the search field
robbieb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #1150
run-it
Adventurer

Quote:
The manufacturer of the plug can look at the ambient temperature readings, know what the expected resistance values for said temperature, and work out what the problem is.
Yeah I realize that but it seems the problem is already worked out from the user's perspective.

Quote:
There is a section on the Wuka King website that describes how to test the power controller at 70 degrees F / 21degC http://www.wukaking.com/help.html
Cool.

Quote:
It could be a faulty switch contact in the hot setting, or a damaged wire etc. Knowing what is expected versus what is found helps to narrow the search field

See that's what I was trying to suggest...ALL those potential faults ADD RESISTANCE his problem is he doesn't have enough.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #1151
Spokes - Missouri
TR650 Strada, WR450

New Stupid Owner

I'm getting a Strada, picking it up tomorrow. I have a few stupid questions. I wanted a Terra, but I had to wait until now it pull the trigger and they were out of Terra's. I think the Strada will do the job. I've ridden dirt bikes for many years, but this is my first street legal bike in a long time.

I'm 6'4" tall, so I have already ordered a tall seat from SeatConcepts.com.

I would like to raise the bars. Are there any options for bar risers? I've not seen any in my internet searches.

I saw the post about putting Terra wheels on the Strada. I don't think I need that. I was just thinking about some more aggressive tires. Any suggestions for tires?

What kind of fuel do other folks run? In my WR450, I run no ethanol 91 octane. I can always get it at the same place. Do I need to be picky about no ethanol? What about the octane level?

Since this is an orphan bike, what parts do folks keep on stock? Brake pads? Oil filters?

With my dirt bikes, I grease the linkage and steering head before riding. I've not read where anyone has done this with the Terra/Strada. Has anyone pulled either? How much grease did the factory use?
Spokes - Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #1152
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes - Missouri View Post
I'm getting a Strada, picking it up tomorrow. I have a few stupid questions. I wanted a Terra, but I had to wait until now it pull the trigger and they were out of Terra's. I think the Strada will do the job. I've ridden dirt bikes for many years, but this is my first street legal bike in a long time.
Congratulations

Quote:
I'm 6'4" tall, so I have already ordered a tall seat from SeatConcepts.com.
I'm 6'4" as well, and the SC Tall was a great upgrade. You can also get some peg room by pulling the rubber inserts.

Quote:
I would like to raise the bars. Are there any options for bar risers? I've not seen any in my internet searches.
It's a challenge on the Strada as there is very little if any slack in the front brake hose. The cable connects up to a metal pipe that runs back to the ABS unit, so it's not as easy as 'just order a longer cable.'

Quote:
I saw the post about putting Terra wheels on the Strada. I don't think I need that. I was just thinking about some more aggressive tires. Any suggestions for tires
I put Heidnau K60 Scouts on mine.

Quote:
Since this is an orphan bike, what parts do folks keep on stock? Brake pads? Oil filters?
Parts are allegedly going to be around for a while. For the oil filters, they are allegedly the same as the BMW 650 thumpers, brake pads as well. There's a 'interchange list' at http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/interchange-list.30631

Quote:
With my dirt bikes, I grease the linkage and steering head before riding. I've not read where anyone has done this with the Terra/Strada. Has anyone pulled either? How much grease did the factory use?
There's an index on the 1st post in the thread, you might check there.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1153
Spokes - Missouri
TR650 Strada, WR450

Thanks

KRUSSELL, thanks for the reply. Not good news about the bar risers, but I don't know how necessary they'll be on this bike.
Spokes - Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #1154
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
KRUSSELL, thanks for the reply. Not good news about the bar risers, but I don't know how necessary they'll be on this bike.
http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/nee...-please.32569/

Has some more riser background. Some folks have success
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #1155
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Hey Spokes -M

I'm 6'3" with a Strada. I've removed the peg rubbers, installed the SC tall seat AND I've installed a set of ROX 2" risers. There's just enough cable length by flipping the throttle so the cables run below the bar. The clutch cable rubs on the radiator (reported elsewhere, even on the stock bars) but the use of a cushion clamp (adel clamp) at the top of the radiator in place of the existing clamp will hold the cable immobile along the back of the radiator to prevent chaffing. I've been running this set up for the past 300 miles or so without any problems noted.

Tires: some have reported better results with the Continental TCK on the front and the Heidenau on the rear. I'm going to wait until I wear out the existing tires before I make a change.

I installed the Wuka Plug about 300 miles ago too. My mileage has consistently improved during break in from 51 mpg on the first tank to 63 mpg on the last tank with the Wuka Plug.

The more I ride the Strada the more I like it. It's smooth like the BMW Funduro I had, but it has much more low end pull without chain snatch.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote