User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #1351
run-it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
IAT Mod - Ride Report

Had a chance to go for a quick 6 miles this afternoon & see how the Strada runs. It behaves differently in a good way.

When it was new, the bike would randomly die on throttle close. Got the updated program installed & noted a lot of the decel popping went away & the bike was better but not fully cured. It would occasionally die off the line, when going from idle to accelerating plus it was soft in that area.

Now I have no complaints. Six miles isn't a definitive test but it's mucho improvo, no ride-ability issue at all, just a nice punchy thumper motor.

Any spoofer mod though should be evaluated under a wide range of temperatures. The more extreme the ambient temperature is, hot or cold - I'd expect this mod to outperform external probed spoofers like Booster Plug.

If you don't already own a spoofer for your TR I would highly recommend doing this mod. The time consuming research work has been done for you. The mod is inexpensive, documented with photos in earlier posts & it only requires you can solder. Did I mention it only costs $20.12 with shipping & tax? Do it!

run-it screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 07:43 PM
run-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #1352
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by run-it View Post
Had a chance to go for a quick 6 miles this afternoon & see how the Strada runs. It behaves differently in a good way.

When it was new, the bike would randomly die on throttle close. Got the updated program installed & noted a lot of the decel popping went away & the bike was better but not fully cured. It would occasionally die off the line, when going from idle to accelerating plus it was soft in that area.

Now I have no complaints. Six miles isn't a definitive test but it's mucho improvo, no ride-ability issue at all, just a nice punchy thumper motor.

Any spoofer mod though should be evaluated under a wide range of temperatures. The more extreme the ambient temperature is, hot or cold - I'd expect this mod to outperform external probed spoofers like Booster Plug.

If you don't already own a spoofer for your TR I would highly recommend doing this mod. The time consuming research work has been done for you. The mod is inexpensive, documented with photos in earlier posts & it only requires you can solder. Did I mention it only costs $20.12 with shipping & tax? Do it!
Can you make a new thread detailing this step by step please? Also include the purpose, what the mod does (in layman terms) and the end results? I'm interested in doing this if I can have it explained in a little more detail... (like Forrest Gump says, "I'm not a smart man...")

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #1353
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
I'm seeking a durable bike, not so delicate, long service intervals and a light round-the-world bike. Yamahas, KTM, BMW's are really expensive here, and Husqvarna offers spares and workshop in this latitude!

Any suggestion, reports will be appreciated and of course, an open invitation to visit Ecuador.
the TR650 is more BMW than it is Husqvarna, so having a good spares network for Husqvarna in your country might not be as good as it seems in real world. Judging by the collective experiences of the first generation TR650 owners, I'd suggest that it might not be the bike for you if you're in an isolated place. It's possible you might get support from a BMW dealer who has a MOSS diagnostics system for performing fault finding missions and ECU updates.
So far, the experiences in these threads show that some parts of the bike, particularly the rear rack, tail light assembly and mud guard are not as durable as you'd want, the bike needs some sort of booster plug to make the engine idle properly, the service intervals are 10000km, but a valve check is scheduled for every service.

They are a great bike to ride, and I love mine, but I live 5km from the shop where I bought it and where they have the necessary equipment to do the servicing, and access to the supply chain for parts. If that was not the case it probably wouldn't be in my garage. I already disposed of one bike (XB12X Buell) because I did not trust the bike was reliable enough to take me where I wanted to go, and I'm not even that adventurous.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1354
run-it
Adventurer

RE

Just cross posted in CH. Have a look & let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/all...ruption.34831/

Thanks for the valve check how-to. I got a little bummed looking at my bike with the panels off thinking how far down I need to take it.

The Ballabio takes 15 mins to do two cylinders. Free & clear access, only the sky is above a Guzzi cylinder.

run-it screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 06:52 PM
run-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #1355
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Can you make a new thread detailing this step by step please? Also include the purpose, what the mod does (in layman terms) and the end results? I'm interested in doing this if I can have it explained in a little more detail... (like Forrest Gump says, "I'm not a smart man...")
+ 1 on the "this deserves it's own thread" theme.
I spose a thread on CH qualifies as I assume it's bike specific... Although the BMW crowd might appreciate a heads up too, dunno?
Anyway :kudos for the time and effort and thanks for sharing : thumb : clap : clap
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #1356
LenVenturaCA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb Secret compartment is for anti-theft system

Thanks HF!!!: My factory anti-theft system didn't come with any installation instructions. And, I couldn't find where the hell it is supposed to be mounted and connected to. I thought that I had looked everywhere for a mounting location (i.e. under the seat, near the dash, behind the headlight).

Then, I somehow remembered back when you posted that you found this "secret compartment!" Eureka! There is another smaller compartment for the alarm box that is located above that "vented" secret compartment that you found. There is also a 6-pin connector in there; I forgot to measure the volts and amps, but this circuit has a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box (#6). Success! Plug and play! Now we know that those vents are for the purpose emitting sound.

Anyway, I would not have my alarm up and running if it wasn't for you! The dealership didn't know the mounting location. And, I had been waiting a week for the dealership to get the mounting location from Husky.

I know most of you couldn't care less about an alarm sys., however, some of us ride our TR's into the city everyday and/or live in apartment complexes without a secure garage. This might also be helpful information for someone interested in plugging an accessory into an existing wire connector near the tail light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I found a secret compartment while probing around during my electrical work.

These two bolts were quite puzzling, as their purpose made no sense to me.

Underneath the rear fender there are a couple more nondescript bolts in the black plastic. Removing all of these bolts (top & bottom) releases this vented tray:

Interesting or strange, I can't decide which. There is room to carry something, but it would likely get dirty and wet. Maybe a good place for a hidden spare key placed in a weather tight bag.

Hhhmmm……

HF

p.s. another Hidden Gem I discovered is this wonderful thing of beauty:

Great Balls of Fire......Terra has an Airbox Drain-plug already built into the Collector! Life is good.

Exciting news for people who like to take their bikes for a swim.

LenVenturaCA screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 10:37 PM
LenVenturaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #1357
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Ah! Good find!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #1358
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Excellent! I was wondering what that extra connector in there did!
hasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #1359
motozen
motozen

thanks

Thanks Romphin and Nev
I'll think about what you guys wrote and check about the tooling and prizes about that maintance/repair expenses.
Shame that the Yamaha Tenere 660Z is so expensive here! Regards,
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1360
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 196
So my stupid and worthless, "who cares" question is who has put the most trouble free miles on their Strada/Terra? I would think there is someone by now who has at least 25k on theirs.
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #1361
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat View Post
So my stupid and worthless, "who cares" question is who has put the most trouble free miles on their Strada/Terra? I would think there is someone by now who has at least 25k on theirs.
I'm averaging 20,000 k/m a year (1k miles / mon).... But I've only had it 6 months. Not necessarily trouble free, but it has been enjoyable and the bike has tolerated abuse.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #1362
kurvenkrycher
n00b out of passion

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyKT View Post
I looked it up and compared the filter size. The F650/F800GS is a longer filter.
Thanks for checking, I am still awaiting delivery for mine so could not do it myself.
kurvenkrycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #1363
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Wheel bearing dimensions?

Stupid question here...anyone know the wheel bearing size for the tr 650?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #1364
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Stupid question here...anyone know the wheel bearing size for the tr 650?
Answered for 'ya here.
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #1365
motozen
motozen

tank

Yeah, there is at least a half dozen of workshops where this issues can be served or solved.
Any news about a second generation TR650 comming? Is there a bigger tank of fuel cell for this bike?
I'll be buying the bike in Florida by the end of sept, i'd love to have a bigger tank or an accesory ad-hoc for the Terra. Thanks to the offer of taking it to the latitude 0`(I'll do it if the legislation changes) but it has to get to customs brand-new.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote