Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #1411
Bluegopher
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
So how are you getting along with the K60 rear, TKC80 front tire combo?
I mounted up an identical set, trying to make friends with them.
That TKC scared the crap out of me on pavement this evening. At 75 mph I get a head shake approaching tank slapper. Granted, that was the first ride on it, and it seemed to get better the next couple of times I pushed up to that speed.
This is the first time I've ran one brand new, I had one on my 640 but someone else scrubbed it in for me.
Did the best I could with balancing but these wheel bearings are a little tighter than my v stroms were and they don't spin as freely. I may have to invest in one of those balancer tools if my axle on the jackstand method proves unusable.

on gravel, a little bit of squirrilyness is present but I think it's just a matter of getting used to something different.

33 miles on the tire right now, tell me it's gonna scrub in and settle down.
Ooohweee I hope so. I'm fixing to mount tkc80 front and rear.
Bluegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #1412
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
DoM...I've had no problem with them ever, and run many TKC on a few different bikes. It usually takes about 100 miles to properly scrub a new DS knobby. So, you probably shouldn't let go of the bars just yet. I love the Heidi/Conti combo...works great, long lasting.

Buy a proper static balancer......they are reasonably inexpensive, and work much better than your axle propped between two stands. For several reasons, but I'll not go into it all here. Just do it!

Then practice and practice.....patience and patience. Buy a good supply of adhesive weights, so you're not worried about conserving to skimp by. Get the tire balanced as close to perfect as you can (within reason). Duck-tape those darn weights down so they can't fly off on the bumpy road or trail.

This will most likely solve a majority of your symptoms.....from the sound of it. The other thing you may need to do is "air it down". I'm guessing you might have too much air in the tire (maybe both of them). Try the front at 22 psi and the rear at about 25psi and see how that affects your condition. Then, report back your findings.

HF

p.s. Make sure your steering head is not loose, and your forks aren't bound up between the triple clamps and axle.
1) Loosen the axle nut and pinch bolts (on bottom of forks)
2) Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts.
3) Put the bike on the ground and pump the forks up & down without using the front brake.
4) Tighten the lower triple clamp to proper torque value. Pump the forks up & down again.
5) Tighten the axle nut to proper torque value. Pump the forks up & down again.
6) Tighten the axle pinch bolts.

Voila....done. This procedure will ensure your front end is not bound up, causing weird systems in your handling and suspension. Many folks tighten there axle nut after reinstalling the front wheel, then the pinch bolts, and go ride. Never realizing they have put the forks into a slight bind.

At the very least, pump your forks up & down after tightening the axle nut, but before tightening the axle pinch bolts.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #1413
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,350
Thumb

Hey DoM

Top rack fella

What crash bars / rad protection you got going on there
Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #1414
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Thanks HF.
Been running 30 psi front and rear, I was under the impression my other tic wore in an odd manner due to under inflation. At this point I'd give up a bit of wear for performance. So I'll try a little less.

As to forks in a bind, I've always tightened the axle, bouncy bouncy, then tightened pinch bolts. Never brought the triple clamp into the equation.
Plus, I've used the front brake to assist the bouncy bouncy. I don't fully understand the mechanics of what we're doing here so I'll try it your way.

Checked into one of those Marc Paines universal balancers, that or similar is probably a good investment. I've changed dirt bike tires for years and have gotten pretty proficient at it but the I need to step up my game in the balancing dept.

Got a big home project kicking off on Mon. so it may be a bit before I can report my findings.

Thanks again

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #1415
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Hey DoM

Top rack fella

What crash bars / rad protection you got going on there
Thanks!
Those crash bars are from alt rider
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...da/pcid/1085-1

Hell for stout and aluminum so they don't add much weight.
Haven't crash tested them yet, putting that off as long as I can.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #1416
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Holy smokes is it ever stout. Mark wasn't lying. The fender tail doesn't budge even a smidgen.

HF---glad that worked out for you-----I did put a bracket on both sides---maybe I didn't say that.

Unbelievably stout.

I'm with you on the taller seat----------I'd rather have it back to stock. I just don't like it.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1417
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
HF---glad that worked out for you-----I did put a bracket on both sides---maybe I didn't say that.

Unbelievably stout.

I'm with you on the taller seat----------I'd rather have it back to stock. I just don't like it.

BigDog
Wait, is everyone off of this Seat Concepts rage just in time for me to be considering it?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #1418
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Well weak rear fender license brackets seem to run in the BMW family. I am currently touring SA, Namibia, Botswana adn Zimbabwe on a rented 650 Sertao. Somewhere between Sessreim and Swakomund the entire rear lays in the sand. No tail light, no tag, no rear fender. Stopped in a Moto shop in Swakomund and 1 hour later had a tail tidy custom fabbed and on the bike. They even printed me a new SA plate right there. Missing my Terra, it would blast through Africa. The Sertao is an OK bike but really is weak in the power department. Cheers from Tsumeb, Namibia.

wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #1419
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Wait, is everyone off of this Seat Concepts rage just in time for me to be considering it?
I've wanted the tall seat for a bit, just traded with a fellow from Florida - my stock seat for his SC Tall. They're both in UPS headed to their new owners.

I've had SC's before and they are a huge improvement - and the step in the TR's stock seat bugs me, more offroad than on.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1420
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
footpegs?

Oookay, my Terra is pending getting some reg papers and (surprise!) me finally swapping some money for it :) meanwhile, I have already surprised the local dealership by mighty tales of knowledge gleaned from here (the more of that they do in presales prep for me the better, right?)

So, here comes my first stupid question - I have browsed through the footpeg mod posts, and I know from the testdrive, that I certainly want to move the pegs down and forward. However, I can't seem to locate TT pegs for F800GS that would look like similar to what HF posted. All their website has is either something called *Works* pegs, or PivotPegz. Or "relocated touring pegs", which do not seem to be adjustable at all. Any pointers?

I have also looked at SW Motech pegs listed for Terra, and those are adjustable down, but not forward.

As the end of the riding season looms unpleasantly close here, I'm quite sure I won't be riding any dirt or even gravel before next year :( (a bashplate won't get here in time), but then I'll have all winter to make her long-distance ready.

Just to spare making another post, while on TT website I looked at their pannier rack for the Terra, and while sturdy-looking, it sits just a tad too far to the rear for my liking, I'd like the weight of the side panniers (I will run soft ones, but not GiantLoop) to be as much as possible forward of the rear axle. DIY projects aside (I'm nowhere as good a fabricator as HF or RuggedExposure or others here), any notable 3rd party ready-made side racks that sit further forward than TT ones?
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #1421
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
I dont know if I would have even considered the TR if mine hadn't came with the SC tall seat.

I am 6'-6" and its cramped for me on a stock one.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #1422
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I dont know if I would have even considered the TR if mine hadn't came with the SC tall seat.

I am 6'-6" and its cramped for me on a stock one.
I'm 6'2 and my knees are starting to bother me. I originally liked the lower seat, as it gave the bike a sporty look and feel.
But now as the miles are wearing on I'm beginning to look elsewhere.

Anyone have an SC seat they want to trade?!

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #1423
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Just got off the phone with David @ Rexxer. He needs a bike so he can configure it for the TR650. He needs it for about 3 days, will dynotune it as he makes the first map for it.

Sounds like a great deal for someone near Richmond. (rexxer.com) This is a Redline company, not some fly by night company.

I also talked to the folks at Beemer Shop, the guys who do the gs911 West Coast, near Santa Cruz(hexcode), and they still are waiting for somebody to run a TR by so they can test it out. There is a good chance it will work on the TR by just picking the BMW model fairly close to the TR config.

Or you can get a power commander if they are not on backorder.

Power commander about $350
GS911 $299
rexxer $600

Power commander can do tuning
GS911 can do diagnostics and resets
Rexxer can do both.(create and run custom maps)

Rexxer is good for one vin
GS911 is good for up to 10 vins
Power commander is good for the bike it is on.

For performance and diagnostics the Rexxer is the best value. No added hardware, full function.
The GS911 is great for the traveler who may have a glitch or fault code stopping them and a reset is all that is needed.

All the people I talked to today were very knowledgeable and helpful. What they need is cooperation from the TR folks, so they can help US.

Please, someone, help get a bike to these guys so we can get the tools for our bikes.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #1424
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Heck no.....you wouldn't believe how GOOD my seat is now!

Have some fun and sculpt it to your personal preference. But order the +1 firmness in the foam.

My butt is soooooo happy now

HF
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #1425
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post

So, here comes my first stupid question - I have browsed through the footpeg mod posts, and I know from the testdrive, that I certainly want to move the pegs down and forward. However, I can't seem to locate TT pegs for F800GS that would look like similar to what HF posted. All their website has is either something called *Works* pegs, or PivotPegz. Or "relocated touring pegs", which do not seem to be adjustable at all. Any pointers?

Try this link:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...o-R1100-1150GS

Sometimes the iPad has trouble posting links in ADV.

You can also just use the "Search" function on the TT website and enter "Adjustable Footpegs". Then worm your way to the correct model (use Sertao, G650GS, or F800GS).

They are pricey, but have lasted me a long time and put my feet right where I have wanted them. I've never found another peg that moves down and forward like these....to this extent. Really works great.

HF